Let’s have some fun today with A words! Words that start with the letter A are awesome and appropriate. We have a list of A letter words, animals that start with A, A coloring pages, places that start with the letter A and letter A foods. These A words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
A Words For Kids
If you are looking for words beginning with A for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun.
Related: Letter A Crafts
This article contains affiliate links.
- A is for Adventure, which means an unusual or exciting activity that can be sometimes dangerous.
- A is for Amazing, which is the feeling of extreme surprise.
- A is for Abstract, is an idea or feeling..
There are unlimited ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter A. If you are looking for value words that start with A, check out this list from Personal DevelopFit.
Related: Letter A Worksheets
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER A
There are so many animals that start with a letter A. When you look at animals that begin with the letter A, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of A! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter A animals.
1. AXOLOTL is an Animal that Starts with A
The species evolved in the lake underlying Mexico City. Axolotls are used a lot in scientific research because they can grow back lost body parts! Imagine if humans could do that, too! These little cuties have external gills and a small fin extending from behind the head. Axolotls have five different color variants. The normal – or “wild type”- animal is brown/tan dark and light spots and even gold freckles. Then, there four mutant colors:
- Leucistic – pale pink with black eyes
- Albino – golden with gold eyes
- Axanthic – grey with black eyes
- Melanoid – all black with no lightness or gold speckling
You can read more about the A animal, Axolotl on Nature.
2. ALBATROSS is an Animal that Starts with A
Albatrosses are large seabirds. Wandering Albatrosses are among the largest of all flying birds with a wingspan of nearly twelve feet. All albatrosses are very good at flying, spending most of their life in the air. Some can even sleep while gliding on air-currents!
You can read more about the A animal, Albatross on National Geographic.
3. AMERICAN ALLIGATOR is an Animal that Starts with A
Coming in at a whopping 800 lbs and about 10 feet long from teeth to tail is the American Alligator! There are two kinds of white alligators which are albino and leucistic. These alligators are practically impossible to find in the wild. They could survive only in captivity and are few in number. American alligators live mostly in the southeast United States. Most American alligators live in Louisiana or Florida. Southern Florida is the only place in the world where both alligators and crocodiles live side by side. American alligators cannot live in saltwater very long because they do not have salt glands.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CROCODILES AND ALLIGATORS?
Crocodiles have salt glands, so they can live in saltwater habitats. Alligators usually live in freshwater habitats.
Most alligators have wide snouts that are shaped like a U. Usually, crocodiles’ snouts are longer, narrower, and are shaped like a V. However, some crocodiles do have wide snouts.
When its mouth is closed, you can see the fourth tooth on a crocodile’s jaw. You cannot see that tooth when an alligator’s mouth is closed.
You can read more about the A animal, Alligator on National Geographic.
4. AYE-AYE is an Animal that Starts with A
AYE-YI-YI! What on earth? The aye-aye is a tiny lemur which lives in the rain forests of Madagascar. This solitary animal is nocturnal (most active at night). The aye-aye spends most of its time in trees. During the day, it sleeps in a nest of leaves and twigs in the fork of a tree. The aye-aye has the teeth of a squirrel and a crazy, weird, special thin middle finger to get at the insect grubs under tree bark.
You can read more about the A animal, Aye Aye on Britannica.
5. ARMADILLO is an Animal that Starts with A
With a strange, leathery armor, armadillos are a strange sight common to much of the Americas. The smallest species – the pink fairy armadillo – is roughly chipmunk-sized at 3oz and 5-6 inches in total length. The largest species – the giant armadillo – can be the size of a small pig, weighing 120 lb and 60 inches long. Many species use their sharp claws to dig for food and to dig dens. The diets of different armadillo species vary, but consist mainly of insects, grubs, and other invertebrates. Some species, however, feed almost entirely on ants and termites. Armadillos have very poor eyesight, and use their keen sense of smell to hunt for food.
The world is a wonderfully fascinating place. Awe-inspiring, agile, amazing – Animals that start with the letter A are just one natural part of our list. More words that start with the letter A are on their way!
You can read more about the A animal, Armadillo on Live Science.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL!
Related: Letter A Coloring Page
Related: Letter A Color by Letter Worksheet
A Is For Alligator Coloring Pages and Craft
Here at Kids Activities Blog we like alligator and have a lot of fun alligator coloring pages and alligator printables that can be used when celebrating the letter A:
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER A:
Next, in our words starting with the Letter A, we get to find out about some awe-inspiring places.
1. A is for Athens, Greece
Athens is the capital city of Greece. It is one of the most famous cities in the world. The city is named after Athena, a goddess in Greek mythology. During ancient times, Athens was a place of learning and home to many scholars. It is surrounded by mountains and the beautiful blue waters of the Saronic Gulf. Athens is a center for research into the past, also known as archaeology!
2. A is for Anchorage, Alaska
Anchorage is located in Southcentral Alaska. It is Alaska’s most populous city and contains more than 40 percent of the state’s total population. Why isn’t Anchorage the capital of Alaska? Good question! Several attempts have been made to move Alaska’s state capital from Juneau to Anchorage. Communities such as Fairbanks and much of rural Alaska opposed moving the capital to Anchorage for fear of concentrating more power in the state’s largest city. Despite this, more than twice the number of government employees live and work in Anchorage instead of Juneau.
3. A is for Algeria
Algeria is a country in North Africa! A large part of southern Algeria is the Sahara Desert. It is home to countless remarkable ancient sites. These ruins span from ancient Muslim mosques to outdoor theaters built during the height of the Roman Empire.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER A
By far, apples are one of the most popular fruits in the world. But aside from tasting absolutely amazing, apples are a healthy fruit full of benefits. To get the most out of apples, leave the skin on!
Avocados start with A and are a healthy source of fat and protein! Perfect for feeling full all day! And there are so many great things you can make with avocados like this super yummy avocado salad.
Arugula is a bitter green that is super healthy for you, full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It’s usually eaten in a salad, but we have a super delicious arugula pizza recipe!
More Words That Start With Letters
- Words that start with the letter A
- Words that start with the letter B
- Words that start with the letter C
- Words that start with the letter D
- Words that start with the letter E
- Words that start with the letter F
- Words that start with the letter G
- Words that start with the letter H
- Words that start with the letter I
- Words that start with the letter J
- Words that start with the letter K
- Words that start with the letter L
- Words that start with the letter M
- Words that start with the letter N
- Words that start with the letter O
- Words that start with the letter P
- Words that start with the letter Q
- Words that start with the letter R
- Words that start with the letter S
- Words that start with the letter T
- Words that start with the letter U
- Words that start with the letter V
- Words that start with the letter W
- Words that start with the letter X
- Words that start with the letter Y
- Words that start with the letter Z
More Letter A Words and Resources for Alphabet Learning
- More Letter A learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas (same for all letters)
- Let’s read from the letter A book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter A
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter a worksheet
- Easy letter A craft for kids
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter A? Share some of your favorites below!