Are we already to the words that start with the letter K?
As your child is studying the letters of the alphabet and you are choosing the right learning games, we are here to provide some fun facts and relatable topics to help it all stick.
Knowledge, which is what is gained through learning.
- Hiro is able to gain knowledge by studying with the friends of his late brother.
Kind, another word for nice!
- Baymax is kind to everyone he meets and offers them help whenever he can.
There are an exceptional number of ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter K. Check out this especially helpful list of words that start with the letter K, geared towards personal development.
Ready for more words that start with the letter K?
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER K:
In the spirit of expanding our knowledge, I scoured the globe.
My kids love to learn all of the interesting animal facts that they can get their hands on. The weirder, the better! They made the most adorable faces when I played the sound of one of the animals that start with the letter K, below.
- Kangaroos’ bodies are designed for jumping! They have short front legs, powerful back legs, huge back feet and strong tails. All of these help them to jump around and their tail balances them. Along with wallabies, Kangaroos come from a family of animals called macropods, which means ‘large foot’. Their big feet help them with all that leaping around! Baby kangaroos are called joeys, and a group of kangaroos is called a mob. Australia is the kangaroo homeland. Have you ever heard that kangaroo’s box? Sounds quite unreal doesn’t it. But it’s actually true, they do really box. It wouldn’t be cool to get in a boxing match with them. Male kangaroos fight to decide which kangaroo is the toughest.
- The American Kestrel is the smallest falcon in North America. Weighing 3-6 ounces, a small kestrel weighs the same as about 34 pennies. Its feather patterns of blues, reds, grays, browns, and blacks make this small bird of prey a real eye-catcher! Kestrels often hunt as a family group. This gives the young birds a chance to practice their hunting skills with their parents before they have to survive on their own. These amazing birds can see ultraviolet light – colors that are invisible to the human eye. Apart from their good looks, American Kestrels are also swift fliers with astounding aerobatic abilities. A very good friend to farmers, they feed mainly on insects, mice, voles, lizards, and snakes!
- The King Cobra is the longest venomous snake in the world, reaching up to 18 feet. It is famous for its fierceness and is extremely dangerous. The King Cobra lives in Southeast Asian forests and near water. They can swim well and can move quickly in trees and on land. King cobras typically grow to around 13 feet long, but they have been known to grow as long as 18 feet. The color of the king cobra is black, tan, or dark green with yellow bands down the length of the body. The belly is cream colored with black bands. The main food for the king cobra is other snakes. However, it will eat small mammals and lizards too. They are the only snake that builds nests for its eggs. The female will guard the eggs until they hatch.
- The Kookaburra is a member of the Tree Kingfisher family. It is famous for having a loud call that sounds like human laughter. There are four species of Kookaburra. All four kookaburras have a similar build. All are reasonably large birds. They have short, rather round bodies, and short tails. The most striking thing about a kookaburra is its big bill. They live and feed in forests. Fish do not form a major part of their diet. All kookaburras are mainly carnivorous (meat eaters). They eat a range of animals, from insects to snakes.
- The Komodo Dragon is a fearsome lizard, the largest species of lizard in the world! This terrifying beast is covered with a scaly skin that is a speckled brownish yellow allowing it to be camouflaged and hard to see when sitting still. It has short, stubby legs and a giant tail that is as long as its body. It has a set of 60 sharp serrated teeth and a long yellow forked tongue. These giant lizards live on four islands that are part of the country of Indonesia. They live in hot and dry places such as grassland or savannah. At night they live in burrows they have dug in order to preserve heat. Komodo dragons are carnivores and, therefore, hunt and eat other animals. Their favorite meal is deer, but they will eat most any animal they can catch including pigs and sometimes water buffalo. The Komodo dragon also has deadly bacteria in its saliva. Once bitten, an animal will soon get sick and die. A tireless hunter, it will sometimes follow escaped prey until it collapses, even though it may take a day or so. It can eat up to 80 percent of its body weight in one meal.
So many krazy animals as we expand our knowledge of words that start with K! Our planet is so exciting! Let’s see what else K is for!
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL!
- American Kestrel
- King Cobra
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER K:
Not even a volcano can scare us away from words that start with the letter K. We have come across some great places so worthy of knowing about. Two can be a little hard to pronounce, at first, so I included pronunciation links for you.
- Kathmandu is the capital and largest city of the mountainous nation of Nepal, nestled about 4,000 feet above the sea level. Nepal is a country of records. It has the highest mountain in the world, the highest lake in the world, the highest concentration of world heritage sites in the world and many more. Its flag does not have four sides, but is instead two stacked triangles. The People of Nepal have never been ruled by foreigners.
- Kansas was named after the Kansa Native Americans – it means ‘People of the South Wind’.The state’s landscape includes grassland hills, sand dunes, woodlands, and fields of wheat. No state in the country grows more wheat than Kansas. In a single year, Kansas produces enough wheat to bake 36 billion loaves of bread. It has the nickname ‘Tornado Alley’ because it has so many tornadoes every year. Kansas was known for its wild frontier towns like Dodge City and Wichita during the settling of the wild west. Lawmen like Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickock became famous while keeping the peace in these towns.
- Kilauea is one of the world’s most active volcanoes. It is a shield-type volcano that makes up the southeastern side of the Big Island of Hawaii. Kilauea has been erupting on a continuous basis since 1983. Unlike stereotypical volcanoes — tall with a clear peak and a caldera on top — Kilauea has several craters that mark its history of eruptions. The Kilauea caldera is the main crater, but there are more than 10 other craters on the volcano. Mauna Kea’s summit registers at about 14,000 feet above sea level. But from its base, which is on the ocean floor, the mountain is approximately 33,500 feet tall — nearly a mile taller than Mount Everest, which is in Nepal.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER K:
K is for Kale
Kale is a true powerfood with 25 percent more vitamin A than spinach and higher levels of both vitamin C and calcium. Kale gives the smoothies a really bright and happy green color and, once frozen, becomes sorbet without all the sugar.
Need a genius way to get your kids to eat veggies? Try this Kale and Berry Smoothie recipe!
This isn’t each and every word that starts with the letter K, as I’m sure you can tell. I just hope that this list has inspired your journey with your child. Every opportunity to connect a lesson to real life is a wonderful chance to open the world before their eyes.
OTHER LEARNING ACTIVITIES KIDS LOVE:
- Check out our favorite halloween games.
- You will love playing these 50 science games for kids!
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- 5 minute crafts solve boredom every time.
- These fun facts for kids are sure to impress.
- Join one of your kids’ favorite authors or illustrators for online story time!
- Throw a unicorn party… because why not? These ideas are so fun!
- Learn how to make a compass.
- Create an Ash Ketchum costume for play pretend!
- Kids love unicorn slime.