Let’s have some fun today with P words! Words that start with the letter P are perfect and peaceful. We have a list of P letter words, animals that start with P, P coloring pages, places that start with the letter P and letter P foods. These P words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
P Words For Kids
If you are looking for words beginning with P for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun.
Related: Letter P Crafts
This article contains affiliate links.
- P is for Passion, is a strong emotion.
- P is for Patience, is the tolerance of delay or mistakes.
- P is for Pleasant, is being in harmony with your likings.
There are unlimited ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter P. If you are looking for value words that start with P, check out this list from Personal DevelopFit.
Related: Letter P Worksheets
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER P:
There are so many animals that start with a letter P. When you look at animals that begin with the letter P, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of P! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter P animals.
1. PIGEON is an Animal that Starts with P
Pigeons are incredibly complex and intelligent animals. They can recognize each letter of the human alphabet, differentiate between photographs, and even distinguish different humans within a photograph! Incredibly social, you can find them in flocks of 20-30 birds. A pigeon will mate for life and raise two chicks at the same time. Pigeons have excellent hearing. That means they can detect sounds at far lower frequencies than humans are able to, and can thus hear distant storms and volcanoes. So, if you suddenly see all of the pigeons leaving a place, chances are you should as well!
You can read more about the P animal, Pigeon on One Kind Planet
2. PLATYPUS is an Animal that Starts with P
The platypus is a semi-aquatic mammal from Australia that has a very unusual appearance. It is duck-billed, has a beaver-like tail, lays eggs, has otter-like fur and webbed feet. Europeans thought the first descriptions of these unusual critters were just a joke. Platypus close their eyes and ears when underwater, so in order to feed on worms, insects, and freshwater shrimp.
You can read more about the P animal, Platypus on Australian Museum
3. PANGOLIN is an Animal that Starts with P
No, that isn’t a pine cone. It’s a Pangolin! Pangolins (or scaly anteaters) are mammals which live in Africa and Asia. They have scales on their skin. They are the only mammals which have this adaptation. A Pangolin may have features of armadillos (long, ant eating tongue and broad tail) and sloths (claws), but is not related to either.
You can read more about the P animal, Pangolin on World Wild Life
4. PUFFIN is an Animal that Starts with P
Nicknamed “sea parrots” – and sometimes “clowns of the sea“ – Atlantic puffins have black and white feathers and a large parrot-like beak. Puffins spend most of their lives out at sea, resting on the waves when not swimming. Their range spans the eastern coast of Canada and the United States to the western coast of Europe. A puffin’s beak (or bill) changes colour during the year. In winter, the beak has a dull grey colour, but in spring it blooms with an outrageous orange! Cute little carnivores live off small fish such as herring, hake and sand eels. Puffins are fab flyers, flapping their wings up to 400 times a minute and speeding through the air at up to 50 miles per hour. A baby Puffin is called a “puffling”!
You can read more about the P animal, Puffin on The Big Blue Trunk
5. PEACOCK is an Animal that Starts with P
“Peacock” is commonly used as the name for a peafowl of the pheasant family. But in fact “peacock” is the name for the colorfully plumaged male peafowl only. The females are called peahens, they are smaller and grey or brown in color. Peacock feathers account for 60 percent of the bird’s total body length. Peafowl are omnivorous, they eat many types of plants, flower petals, seeds, insects and small reptiles such as lizards.
You can read more about the P animal, Pigeon on Britannica
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT START WITH THE LETTER P!
Related: Letter P Coloring Page
Related: Letter P Color by Letter Worksheet
P Is For Pig Coloring Pages
Here at Kids Activities Blog we like pig and have a lot of fun pig coloring pages and pig printables that can be used when celebrating the letter P:
- I love how cute these pig coloring pages are.
- We have free Peppa pig coloring pages.
- Want to learn how to draw a pig?
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER P:
Next, in our words starting with the Letter P, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
1. P is for PANAMA CANAL
The Panama Canal was built to shorten the distances ships needed to travel to deliver the cargo they were carrying onboard between the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. It is a 48 mile waterway that crosses the Isthmus of Panama. The French began to build the canal in 1881. The canal was completed and officially opened on the 15th August, in 1914. The Panama Canal is still used today and is seen as an important part of international trading. The canal works by using three pairs of locks at each end, these locks are used for lifting and lowering the ships onto different water levels. The locks are similar to water-filled chambers that help move the boats. New locks were added in 2016 so that larger ships were able to pass through the canal, but many ships are still too big for the canal..
2. P is for PEARL HARBOR
Pearl Harbor is a Naval Base in Hawaii. It was the site of a terrible attack by Japanese forces during World War II. They destroyed many ships and killed many soldiers. It was this attack that led the United States to entering World War II. President Roosevelt gave a famous speech after the attack in which he said December 7th would be a “date which will live in infamy”. Today, there is a memorial to the US soldiers who lost their lives during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The USS Arizona memorial is built on the water above the wreckage of the sunken ship, the USS Arizona. The wreckage is considered a US National Historic Landmark.
3. P is for PERU
Peru is a country in South America. The capital is Lima. The ruins of Machu Picchu, the Andes mountains, and the source of the Amazon River are all found in Peru. Peru’s most important exports, products that it sells to other countries, are fish, gold and other metals, oil, coffee, sugar, and cotton. Also, the food in Peru is very diverse. Tourists from other countries like to come to Peru because of the history and also to enjoy nature. Many people come to climb mountains in the Cordillera Blanca in the Ancash Region, and many people visit Peru’s long Pacific coast or the Amazon jungle. Cuzco and Machu Picchu are just two of the places where many buildings built by the Incas are still standing after hundreds of years, and these are some of the most visited places.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER P:
P is for Parmesan.
Parmesan cheese is the name of a few kinds of Italian extra-hard cheeses made of cow’s milk. It is usually the cheese to go with Spaghetti and other typical Italian pasta, but it also has many other uses.
Ready for 3 great parmesan recipes? I thought so.
- Your family will love this one-pan chicken parmesan; you’ll love the easy clean up!
- I love anything with garlic in it and these Garlic Parmesan Bites are amazing!
- This Ham & Cheese Tortellini takes your tortellini dinner to a whole new level in less than 20 minutes!
P is also for Popcorn! I love popcorn it is my favorite snack to eat while watching movies and it is so versatile! This is my favorite popcorn recipe!
Popcorn and parmesan are both savory p words. We need a sweet p word. Pudding! Pudding is the perfect p word dessert! We love putting especially when they’re turned into pudding pops!
MORE WORDS THAT START WITH LETTERS
- Words that start with the letter A
- Words that start with the letter B
- Words that start with the letter C
- Words that start with the letter D
- Words that start with the letter E
- Words that start with the letter F
- Words that start with the letter G
- Words that start with the letter H
- Words that start with the letter I
- Words that start with the letter J
- Words that start with the letter K
- Words that start with the letter L
- Words that start with the letter M
- Words that start with the letter N
- Words that start with the letter O
- Words that start with the letter P
- Words that start with the letter Q
- Words that start with the letter R
- Words that start with the letter S
- Words that start with the letter T
- Words that start with the letter U
- Words that start with the letter V
- Words that start with the letter W
- Words that start with the letter X
- Words that start with the letter Y
- Words that start with the letter Z
More Letter P Words and Resources For Alphabet Learning
- More Letter P learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter P book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter P
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter P worksheet
- Easy letter P craft for kids
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter P? Share some of your favorites below!