Let’s have some fun today with D words! Words that start with the letter D are delightful and darling. We have a list of D letter words, animals that start with D, D coloring pages, places that start with the letter D and letter D foods. These D words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
D Words For Kids
If you are looking for words beginning with D for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun.
Related: Letter D Crafts
This article contains affiliate links.
- D is for Dedicated, which means to believe in an idea and giving it your all.
- D is for Daring, meaning you are brave and willing to risk criticism or danger.
- D is for Delightful, which is giving great delight or pleasure.
There are unlimited ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter D. If you are looking for value words that start with D, check out this list from Personal DevelopFit.
Related: Letter D Worksheets
ANIMALS THAT START WITH D:
There are so many animals that start with a letter D. When you look at animals that begin with the letter D, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of D! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter D. animals.
1. Desert Tortoise
Hailing from the driest parts of the United States and Mexico, this burrowing reptile spends up to 95% of its 80-year lifespan under-ground! Desert Tortoises have figured out a way to dig grooves in the sand that help them collect the rare rains. Because rain is so uncommon, they have the ability to go up to a year between drinks of water! This hardy herbivore has two types of hibernation to conserve energy during the extreme heat of the summer (estivation) and then again during the winter (brumation) when food is scarce.
You can read more about the D animal, Desert Tortoise on Nature.
One of Australia’s most dominant predators, the Dingo lives in packs quite similar to wolves! They are now wild, but fossil records indicate that they were brought from Asia around 3,500 years ago as pets. Although they still look like dogs we are used to seeing as pets, their personality is much closer to that of a coyote.
You can read more about the D animal, Dingo on National Geographic.
3. Mandarin Duck
A distinctive water bird from China and Japan. It eats plants, seeds, small fish, insects, and even snails! This is one of the most beautiful kinds of duck. Because of this, it has been released into many urban parks throughout the UK. One of these lucky ducks calls Central Park, in New York City, home.
You can read more about the D animal, Mandarin Duck on Animals.
4. Fallow Deer
Dazzling us with their beautiful spots is the Fallow Deer! Though they are native to Europe, they are now found all over the world. Males are called bucks and females are called does. They travel in herds to keep one another safe. Bucks grow antlers to fight for the attention of does, during the fall.
You can read more about the D animal, Fallow Deer on Deer Worlds.
5. Amazon Pink Dolphin
This small species of toothed whale looks like a creature from a story book. Though they start off gray as babies, adults turn more and more pink throughout their lives. Due to the diversity of their habitat, this species of dolphin’s diet includes over 50 species of fish. That even includes piranhas! Unlike most dolphins, their pods are very small and male Amazon Pink Dolphins are larger than females and have often been spotted trying to woo females with gifts. They are able to navigate the murky river waters through use of echolocation which means that they make small sounds which then bounce off of their surroundings and help them to form a picture of what is around.
You can read more about the D animal, Amazon Pink Dolphin on World Wild Life.
Check out these awesome coloring sheets for each animal!
Related: Letter D Coloring Page
Related: Letter D Color by Letter Worksheet
D Is For Dog Coloring Pages
Here at Kids Activities Blog we like dogs and have a lot of fun dog coloring pages and dog printables that can be used when celebrating the letter D:
- I love these dog coloring pages.
- Isn’t this dazzling dog zentangle coloring page delightful?
- Aren’t these dog fact coloring pages also amazing?
- Want to learn to draw a dog? Now you can!
PLACES STARTING WITH D:
Finding words that start with the Letter D will take us miles and miles from home!
1. D Is For Dallas, Tx
The 9th largest city in the US, Dallas is successful despite being the largest city in the US without any direct links to the sea. It is home to several world-renowned museums and concert halls. The famous Cowboys Stadium is so large that the entire Statue of Liberty could fit inside.
2. Damascus, Syria
The capital and largest city in the country of Syria was first settled around 7,000 BC, making it one of the oldest continually-inhabited cities in the world. In Damascus, a special kind of metal-working was invented! Different types of steel are forged together and hammered flat. The flattened metal is then folded several times and flattened again. The process is repeated until it is hundreds of layers deep. This not only makes a beautiful pattern but also makes the metal flexible while keeping a sharp edge which is great for making weapons like swords.
First unified in the 8th Century, Denmark is a Nordic country which means it is in Northwestern Europe. People from Denmark are called Danes.In medieval history, this Scandanavian country was one of many known for being the homeland of vikings. Denmark has over 1,400 islands. Denmark is very far from the equator which means that summer days are extra long and winter days are really short.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH D:
A somewhat sweet herb with notes of lemon, dill is used across the world. Of all of the food related words that start with the letter D, I could not think of any better than this lovely little plant. It is fairly easy to grow your own dill. With that, it is a lot of fun to make your own pickles! You can change the amount of dill in the pickle recipe to make it special for your family’s tastes.
Donut starts with D! They’re sweet, bready, and so diverse! Did you know you can also use donuts to make yummy donut hole cake pops!?
Dip is also a food that starts with D. You can dip crackers, chips, and veggies in dip! You can try some dip with this Rotel dip recipe.
MORE WORDS THAT START WITH LETTERS
- Words that start with the letter A
- Words that start with the letter B
- Words that start with the letter C
- Words that start with the letter D
- Words that start with the letter E
- Words that start with the letter F
- Words that start with the letter G
- Words that start with the letter H
- Words that start with the letter I
- Words that start with the letter J
- Words that start with the letter K
- Words that start with the letter L
- Words that start with the letter M
- Words that start with the letter N
- Words that start with the letter O
- Words that start with the letter P
- Words that start with the letter Q
- Words that start with the letter R
- Words that start with the letter S
- Words that start with the letter T
- Words that start with the letter U
- Words that start with the letter V
- Words that start with the letter W
- Words that start with the letter X
- Words that start with the letter Y
- Words that start with the letter Z
MORE LETTER D WORDS AND RESOURCES FOR ALPHABET LEARNING
- More Letter D learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter D book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter D
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter D worksheet
- Easy letter D craft for kids
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter D? Share some of your favorites below!