Let’s have some fun today with X words! Words that start with the letter X are eXcellent. We have a list of X letter words, animals that start with X, X coloring pages, places that start with the letter X and letter X foods. These X words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
X Words For Kids
If you are looking for words beginning with X for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun.
Related: Letter X Crafts
This article contains affiliate links.
- X is for Xi, the 14th letter of the Greek alphabet.
- X is for XO, x is kisses while o is hugs.
- X is for Xylophone, which is a musical instrument.
There are unlimited ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter X. If you are looking for value words that start with X, check out this list from Personal DevelopFit.
Related: Letter X Worksheets
Animals that start with the letter X:
There are so many animals that start with a letter X. When you look at animals that begin with the letter X, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of X! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter X animals.
1. X is for XENOPS
Small brown and tan birds with orange, tan and white markings. Long flattened bills with turned up tips look like they were up on upside down! It is found in rainforests in South & Central America, as well as in Mexico. Their diet consists of insects which they find on bark, rotting stumps and bare twigs. Pairs live in nests they make in decaying tree holes to raise their young, together.
You can read more about X animal, Xenops on Active Wild
2. X is for XERUS
The squirrels live in open woodlands, grasslands, or rocky country. They are diurnal and terrestrial, living in burrows. Their diet is roots, seeds, fruits, pods, grains, insects, small vertebrates and bird eggs. They live in colonies similar to North American prairie dogs, and have similar behavior.
You can read more about X animal, Xerus on A-Z Animal Facts
3. X is for X-RAY TETRA
The most distinctive feature of the X-Ray Tetra is the translucent layer of skin that covers its small body, making the fish’s backbone clearly visible. The transparency of their skin is thought to be a form of protection as predators find it much harder to spot them amongst dense vegetation and shimmering water. They are incredibly peaceful and are often tolerant of the other species that they share their habitats with. This makes them a great addition to many freshwater aquariums! X-ray tetra primarily hunt worms, insects and small crustaceans that live close to the river bed. The biggest threat to the X-Ray Tetra is water pollution.
You can read more about X animal, X- Ray on One Kind Planet
Check out these awesome coloring sheets for each animal that starts with the letter X!
Related: Letter X Coloring Page
Related: Letter X Color by Letter Worksheet
Places starting with the letter X:
Next, in our words starting with the Letter X, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
Even in the mythical and fantasy words, it is hard to find many examples. One that comes to mind is the land of Xadia from the Netflix Original, The Dragon Prince. If you haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend giving it a shot! You can even watch Netflix with your friends virtually, now!
When considering learning the letter X, I remembered that I used to see the letter X to mark a destination, on treasure maps!
We have a really fun Treasure Hunt Map Game you could try out! Just replace the markers mentioned in the How-To with the letter X!
You can even make this more fun by practicing letter recognition with your child. Here is how I would do it:
- Mark multiple locations on your map with different letters.
- Hide items at each of the letters’ locations.
- Ask your child to bring you the item hidden at a specific letter.
Too easy! This helps them learn the lifelong skills of visual literacy and understanding maps.
I know, it wasn’t the list you’ve been eagerly awaiting. I hope it has your mind brimming with ways to teach the letter X, anyway!
Food that starts with the letter X:
Much like the rest of this, finding a food that starts with the letter X was no small feat.
Xylitol, Xantham Gum… not exactly the sort of thing I would usually want to discuss at any kind of length.
Instead, I would like to consider and open for discussion:
What is the X Factor in your cooking?
An X Factor is anything noteworthy, special, or unexpected!
My best friend tends to add a little extra salt to sweet desserts (like these crazy good Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies). My mom would throw oregano in almost anything. When I’m cooking, I like to add a little spice to everything (after I take my kids’ food out of the pot, of course!).
Your X Factor can be absolutely anything!
When you’re cooking, it’s always a fun idea to look at multiple recipes for the same thing and choose which one sounds best, to me!
There are not very many foods that start with the letter X – or words that start with the letter X, in general. Still, I am sure that you can find limitless fun as you and your child learn the alphabet, with each and every letter.
More Words That Start With Letters
- Words that start with the letter A
- Words that start with the letter B
- Words that start with the letter C
- Words that start with the letter D
- Words that start with the letter E
- Words that start with the letter F
- Words that start with the letter G
- Words that start with the letter H
- Words that start with the letter I
- Words that start with the letter J
- Words that start with the letter K
- Words that start with the letter L
- Words that start with the letter M
- Words that start with the letter N
- Words that start with the letter O
- Words that start with the letter P
- Words that start with the letter Q
- Words that start with the letter R
- Words that start with the letter S
- Words that start with the letter T
- Words that start with the letter U
- Words that start with the letter V
- Words that start with the letter W
- Words that start with the letter X
- Words that start with the letter Y
- Words that start with the letter Z
More Letter X Words and Resources For Alphabet Learning
- More Letter X learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter X book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter X
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter X worksheet
- Easy letter X craft for kids
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter X? Share some of your favorites below!