Welcome back! Our list of words that start with the letter L is full of relatable examples that are sure to help your child learn the letter L!
If you haven’t already, make sure to check out our Letter L Activities!
Loyalty, also called faithfulness.
- Prince Zuko chooses to be loyal to his friends instead of the Fire Nation.
Laugh, which is the sound someone makes when they are happy.
- A great way to make your friends laugh is to read them a joke from your book of jokes!
Luck, is success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions
- If you flip a coin and it lands on the side you chose, that is luck. If you pick it up and put it down on the side you chose, that is not luck.
For more words that start with the letter L, I found a list that can guide you to fun and important values. Every child has the change to resonate with a different word that starts with the letter L. It is important to find the words that best address your child’s development.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER L:
For many, a lesson on words that start with the letter L would include the basics: lion, lobster, lemur. As always, we wanted to take what you expect and expand on it, just a little!
- The llama is a South American member of the camelidae family. It is a relative of the camel and looks very similar to it except that it does not have a hump. Domestication of llamas started in the Andes Mountains of Peru about 4,000 to 5,000 years ago. A llama doesn’t have hoofs like sheep. Each of its feet has two toenails and a leathery, soft pad underneath. Llamas are very alert creatures so they make good guard animals. Llamas don’t bite but they tend to spit when they get angry or are provoked. They mostly spit at each other, but they are known to sometimes spit at humans too. Their wool is soft, light, water-repellent, and free of lanolin, the fatty substance found on sheep’s wool.
Ring Tailed Lemur
- Ring tailed lemurs are probably the most well-known of all the different types of lemur because King Julien from the Madagascar films is one. They spend more than a third of their time on the ground, more than any other lemur species. Most like to sunbathe in the mornings to warm themselves up. Ring tailed lemurs mostly eat fruit and leaves. They really like the leaves of the tamarind tree. When it’s available, half of what they eat will be tamarind leaves. The food they eat is different to other lemurs because of the amount of time they spend on the ground. They will eat bark, earth, small insects and spiders. Sometimes, they have even been seen eating spider webs! Gross!
- Most leopards are light colored and have dark spots on their fur. These spots are called “rosettes” because their shape is similar to that of a rose. There are also black leopards, too, whose spots are hard to see because their fur is so dark. They live in Sub-Saharan Africa, northeast Africa, Central Asia, India and China. These big cats have a varied diet and enjoy different kinds of grub. They eat bugs, fish, antelope, monkeys, rodents, deer…in fact, pretty much any prey that is available! Nocturnal animals, leopards are active at night when they venture out in search of food. They mostly spend their days resting, camouflaged in the trees or hiding in caves.
- Lionfish are famous for their beautifully colored bodies, covered with red, white, orange, black or brown stripes (it depends on the species). Stripes are arranged in a zebra-like pattern. It is also known as dragon fish, scorpion fish, tiger fish and turkey fish due to characteristic appearance. The large mouth of the lionfish allows swallowing of the prey in a single bite. It eats various types of fish and crustaceans. Despite having more than thirteen (up to 18) venomous spines on the back side of the body, the venom is used only for self-defense. When cooked properly, lionfish are consumed as delicacies in certain countries.
- Lobsters are one of the most popular crustaceans. They possess a hard protective exoskeleton and no backbone. Even though Northwest Atlantic is famous for being the home of American lobsters, you can find them in all the oceans. Lobsters are omnivorous capable of eating anything that their claws get on, no matter if it’s alive or dead. But they prefer to eat fresh food. Like humans, these crustaceans are both left-handed and right-handed. Depending on the position of the crusher claw at the left or right side of the lobster’s body, you determine whether it’s left-handed or right-handed. Lobsters are basically immortal! They will just keep growing forever unless something ends their life. Lobsters do not have brains.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL!
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER L:
In our journey around the world to find the greatest words that start with the letter L, we have come across some places worthy of being lauded.
Las Vegas, Nevada
- Some call it the City of Lights! It is the biggest city in the Mojave Desert. An internationally renowned major resort city known primarily for its gambling, shopping, fine dining, entertainment, and nightlife. It is the leading financial, commercial, and cultural center for Nevada. Las Vegas was first settled in 1905. Much of the landscape is rocky and arid with desert vegetation and wildlife. It can be subjected to torrential flash floods, although much has been done to mitigate the effects of flash floods through improved drainage systems. There is abundant sunshine throughout the year, with long, very hot summers, warm transitional seasons. and short, mild to chilly winters.
- Romans first settled in London some 2,000 years ago. The London Zoo was meant to be open to scientists to carry out research into animals and animal behavior, which meant regular people weren’t allowed to see inside. Although one of the busiest cities in the world and home to over 8 million people, London also falls under the United Nations definition of a forest. This is because as well as having a lot of people, London also has a lot of trees. Almost a fifth of it is woodland, and 40% is public green spaces such as parks and gardens. London was the first city to reach a population of 1 million in 1811.
- Lebanon is a tiny country in the Middle East that borders Syria and Israel. People first built villages in Lebanon more than 7,000 years ago. Lebanon has a Mediterranean climate. Because of this, summers are warm and dry, while winters are cool and rainy. The country has mountains, hills, coastal plains and deserts. The culture of Lebanon reflects the legacy of various civilizations spanning thousands of years.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER L:
There is a lot you can say about latkes! It’s fried, it’s crispy, it’s greasy, it’s delicious… You can make latkes with potatoes, although other vegetables are also sometimes used, albeit less frequently. Potato remains the most popular variety of latke.
There are two main varieties of potato latkes, those made with grated potato and those made with puréed or mashed potato. The textures of these two varieties are very different.
Numerous modern recipes call for the addition of ingredients such as onions and carrots. Daily variations on a simple potato latka might include zucchini, sweet onion and gruyere and some variations made with sweet potatoes.
A fun variant of standard Latkes are Apple Potato Latkes! Make sure to check out our recipe!
FOR MORE STUCK AT HOME RESOURCES:
- Coloring is fun! Especially with our Fortnite coloring pages.
- Travel the world from your couch with this list of 40+ virtual field trips.
- Get kids off technology and back to basics with learning worksheets you can print at home!
- Join one of your kids’ favorite authors or illustrators for online story time!
- Make being stuck at home fun with our favorite indoor games for kids.
- This gigantic list of subscriptions from education companies will help get your home learning off the ground.
- A dozen moms shared how they are keeping sane with a schedule for school at home.
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- 5 minute crafts are saving my bacon right now — so easy!
- Impress your “students” with fun facts for kids!
- Call this phone number to be connected to Hogwarts.