Finally, we have come to words that start with the letter F!
I love having a steady stream of fun and random facts to keep my kids entertained and having fun learning. For me, that means frequent searches through the internet. I hope you enjoy the random fun facts I have chosen to go with these words that start with F!
F IS FOR…
Fair, which is when someone is not favoring one over another and is following the rules.
- An American Tail is a great example of how fairness can change lives when we take into account those who are most vulnerable.
Forgive, a word that is so hard to master. To forgive is to show mercy to those who have done wrong and to move on from conflict.
- In the movie Coco, Mama Imelda forgives Héctor when she finds out the truth.
- Sometimes even parents need help with forgiveness, and that is ok!
Fundamental, or something that is necessary. You can’t have words that start with F without the letter F!
- Little Einsteins teach the fundamentals of music, art, and other aspects of culture.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH F:
As you already know, F is for Fox.
Why stop there, though? Next we have a fancy fox from the desert, a fish that can fly, and more!
- Fennec foxes are very small light tan and cream-colored foxes that live in sandy deserts. They are the tiniest kind of fox in the world and weigh only 2 to 3 pounds, but their ears can be as big as 6 inches long! Yes, fennec foxes do have great hearing and can even hear prey underground. But those giant ears also give off body heat so they don’t get too hot. Despite their size, they have been known to jump in the air 2 feet! These foxes dwell in small groups of up to ten individuals. The little, cream-colored foxes sleep underground in dens during the day so they don’t have to be in the hot sun.
- Flamingoes eat algae and tiny shellfish that are rich in carotenoids, which is why these birds are pink or orange. Flamingos have a funny way of eating. They place their bills upside down in the water and suck water into their mouths. Then, they pump the water out the sides of their mouths. Tiny plants and animals remain to make a tasty meal. You often see them standing on one foot to save energy! In the wild flamingos live 20 – 30 years but sometimes live over 50 years in captivity. Flamingos are social birds, they live in colonies of sometimes thousands. This helps in avoiding predators, maximizing food intake, and is better for nesting. They make little mud towers for their nests.
POISON DART FROG
- These frogs are considered one of Earth’s most toxic, or poisonous, species. With a range of bright colors—yellows, oranges, reds, greens, blues—poison dart frogs aren’t just big show-offs either. Those colorful designs tell potential predators, “I’m toxic. Don’t eat me.” Most frog species are nocturnal, but poison frogs are active during the day, when their jewel-colored bodies can best be seen and avoided. A group of poison frogs is called an “army.” Poison Dart Frogs often carry their tadpoles on their back – click to check out the video!
- A flat fish that lives on the ocean floor. Usually brown colored with various red, orange, green and blue markings on the body are these odd looking fish. They can change the color of the body to blend with the colors of the environment in 2 – 8 seconds. Flounder has bulging eyes on two short stalks that are located on one side of the head. This happens as the flounder grows into adulthood. It is a nocturnal carnivore that ambushes smaller prey.
- Across the world, you will see flying fish leaping from the ocean’s frothy waves. Flying fish are thought to have evolved this remarkable gliding ability to escape predators. For their sustenance, flying fish feed on a variety of foods, including plankton. Flying fish have been recorded stretching out their flights with consecutive glides spanning distances of over four football fields. Before it emerges above the water, flying fish accelerates toward the surface of the water with the speed of 37 miles per hour. Watching a flying fish in action is way too cool!
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL!
PLACES STARTING WITH F:
Next, in our words starting with the letter F, we get to find out about some fantastic places.
- Florida’s original Spanish name is La Florida, which means “place of flowers.” Florida is a peninsula—that means it’s almost completely surrounded by water. So, you’ll find caves and sinkholes in the northwestern Marianna lowlands. The coastal plains contain sandy beaches, islands, and coral reefs. Florida is home to the famous Everglades National Park—swampy, wildlife-filled marshland. A trip to Florida can be out of this world – literally! You can see an actual rocket launch from Cape Canaveral.
- People flock to this famous city to view its beautiful architecture, visit its numerous museums and art galleries, and take in its amazing culture. Florence Italy was the “cradle of the Renaissance”. It was home to the great Renaissance artists Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael; as well as the home to the great astronomer Galileo. Florence was the first city in Europe to have paved streets!
- Fiji is a nation of over 300 islands. All of Fiji’s islands could fit inside of New Jersey. Like America, Fiji was a British colony from 1874 to 1970. Then, on October 10th 1970, it became an independent nation. Fiji is a major tourist location, with its white sandy beaches and stunning coral reefs. Because there are so many reefs, there are over 1,500 species living in the coral reefs of Fiji. Culture and traditions are very vibrant and are integral components of everyday life for the majority of Fiji’s population.
FOODS THAT START WITH F:
You’re most of the way through words that start with the letter F! Now, bear with me because I got a little more creative than fish sticks and french fries for the letter F.
They are a great nutrient, vitamins A and C, and fibre source which can help your baby in growth and development. Figs are also an antimicrobial agent, which can help in the development of the immune system of the child. They are beneficial for the digestion system of the baby. It is a soft, sweet fruit.
Compared to other cheeses, it’s low in calories and fat. It also contains a high amount of B vitamins, phosphorus and calcium, which can benefit growing bones. Additionally, feta contains beneficial bacteria and fatty acids. Some research even shows that feta may help improve body composition. Feta is a soft, salty, white cheese originally from Greece. It’s typically made from sheep’s or goat’s milk. Sheep’s milk gives feta a tangy and sharp taste, while goat’s feta is milder.
Fig and Feta Grilled Toast
My family has this for breakfast!
- 4 ounces mild feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 8 large leaves fresh basil
- 8 slices artisan raisin-nut bread
- 4 tablespoons fig jam
- Olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine feta, honey and lemon zest, mashing until well-blended. Roll basil leaves into a tube and slice them in thin shreds.
- Spread feta mixture on half of the bread slices. You’ll want a nice sturdy bread that can hold up to grilling.
- Top each with jam and sprinkle with basil. (It’s hard to find fig jam; we used fig-ginger jam for this recipe.)
- Top with remaining bread slices and lightly brush outside of bread with olive oil.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add sandwiches to pan, cooking 2 at a time.
- Place another heavy skillet or cast-iron pan on top of sandwiches, and press gently to flatten. Leave the skillet on top and cook sandwiches about 3 minutes. Flip and cook second side another 3 minutes, until bread is lightly toasted.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- OR, if you have a panini grill, just toast in panini grill until bread is browned and filling is heated through. This replaces steps 5-8, above.
I think that may be all of the fabulous words that start with the letter F that we have time for, today! Be sure to check back, often, for more fun Letter F Activities!
More Letter Learning Fun
- Have fun coloring our awesome Fortnite coloring pages.
- Rawr! Here are some of our favorite dinosaur crafts.
- 5 minute crafts are saving my bacon right now — so easy!