Let’s have some fun today with Y words! Words that start with the letter Y are not yonder, but here. We have a list of X letter words, animals that start with Y, Y coloring pages, places that start with the letter Y and letter Y foods. These Y words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
Y WORDS FOR KIDS
If you are looking for words beginning with Y for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun.
Related: Letter Y Crafts
This article contains affiliate links.
- Y is for Youthful, meaning youth or full of vigor and fresh.
- Y is for Yearning, is an unfulfilled desire.
- Y is for Yes, is the opposite of no, the allowing of something to happen.
There are unlimited ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter Y. If you are looking for value words that start with Y, check out this list from Personal DevelopFit.
Related: Letter Y Worksheets
- Yak starts with Y!
Animals that start with the letter Y:
There are so many animals that start with a letter Y. When you look at animals that begin with the letter Y, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of Y! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter Y animals.
1. YAK is an animal that starts with Y
The yak is a long-haired bovine, or cow like animal. They are found across much of Asia, especially in the Himalayas. Most Yaks are domestic, which means they live on farms run by people. There are a few wild Yak but there aren’t many left and are in danger of extinction. All Yaks have long, thick hair to keep them warm in the cold places they live. Wild yaks can be black or brown. Some domestic yaks are white. All kinds of yaks have horns.
You can read more about Y animal, Yak on National Geographic
2. YELLOW JACKET is an animal that starts with Y
Yellow jackets are social insects that live in nests or colonies with up to 4,000 workers. These flying insects typically have a yellow and black head/face and patterned abdomen. Many say that the pattern resembles stripes. Yellow jackets eat spiders and insects. They will also feed on human food, especially meats and sweets. Unlike bees, wasps do not make honey or store food. Yellow jackets like to be where humans live. They usually build their nests underground, around garbage and in cool, dark spaces. They also build nests in trees, shrubs and in holes in walls. Most yellow jacket colonies only remain active for one year. Then the queen flies off to start a new colony.
If you think you’ve found a Yellow Jacket nest, wait until night time to destroy it. That is when the little monsters are all at home and asleep. I’ve found a really great guide to Yellow Jacket removal, if you need more help!
You can read more about Y animal, Yellow Jacket on Pest USA
3. YELLOW BABOON is an animal that starts with Y
With an extremely opportunistic lifestyle, baboons have been able to fill a tremendous number of different ecological niches, including places considered adverse to other animals such as regions taken over by human settlement. Thus, they are one of the most successful African primates and are not listed as threatened or endangered. However, the same behavioral adaptations that make them so successful also cause them to be considered pests by humans in many areas. Baboons have complex social structures with anywhere from 8 to 200 individuals per troop. When traveling as a group, males will lead; females and young stay safe in the middle and less dominant males bring up the rear. With canines up to two inches long, adult males will take on just about any small predators. A lone male is able to intimidate and chase away an animal as large as a jackal. In fact, larger cats such as leopards are the only main predatorial threat (other than humans) and fierce dominant males will still gang up and harass such intruders until they retreat.
You can read more about Y animal, Yellow Baboon on Sea World
4. YELLOW-HEADED CARACAR is animal that starts with Y
Native to South and some of Central America is this beautiful bird of prey. Unlike the falcons in the same family, the caracara is not a fast-flying aerial hunter, but is rather sluggish and often obtains food by scavenging. It is broad-winged and long-tailed. The adult has a tan head, with a black streak behind the eye that almost looks like makeup. The upper plumage is brown with distinctive pale patches on the flight feathers of the wings, and the tail is barred cream and brown.
You can read more about Y animal, Yellow Headed Caracar on Arts and Culture
Check out these awesome coloring sheets for each animal that start with the letter Y!
Related: Letter Y Coloring Page
Related: Letter Y Color by Letter Worksheet
Places starting with the letter Y:
Next, in our words starting with the Letter Y, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
1. Y is for Yosemite National Park
Spanning over a million square miles of Northern California is this absolute gem. Yosemite is internationally recognized for its waterfalls, giant sequoia groves, lakes, mountains, glaciers, and biological diversity. Almost 95% of the park is designated wilderness. Yosemite was central to the development of the national park idea. On average, about 4 million people visit Yosemite each year, and most spend the majority of their time in the seven square miles of Yosemite Valley.
2. Y is for Yellowstone National Park
Created on March 1, 1872 when United States President Grant signed a law to create it, Yellowstone National Park is the world’s first national park. Yellowstone National Park is famous for its geysers and hot springs. The park contains about half the world’s geysers, including Old Faithful. Yellowstone has had many tourists. This is mostly because of the natural beauty of the Yellowstone park. Millions of people come to see it each and every year.
Yellowstone National Park is one of our top ten family road trip destinations!
3. Y is for Yugoslavia
This region in southeastern Europe was originally meant to be a home for a Southern Slavic group. The Kingdom of Yugoslavia was born in 1918. Due to an inability to unify it’s people, Yugoslavia was quickly taken over when World War II broke out. Both Germany and Italy managed to take control when the royal family escaped. Even after it was freed, it faced a long period of political upheaval. Yugoslavia never worked out, fighting frequently, and falling apart in 2003. It’s land has now been claimed by Serbia, Croatia, Kosovo, and other countries.
Food that starts with the letter Y
Y is for Yogurt
This calcium-rich product is high in protein and vitamins! Our guts are incredibly benefitted by yogurt! It is full of good bacteria that stimulates gut health. You want to get yogurt with live and active cultures to get maximum benefits.
- Yogurt is a yummy, healthy food that kids and moms can agree on! These 5 Yogurt Recipes Kids Will Love are easy to make–especially with your favorite kitchen helper!
- Do your kids LOVE ice-cream popsicles? I know mine really enjoy their frozen treats. Try these DIY Yogurt Pops to make their favorite snack a little healthier.
- Is your family always eating breakfast on-the-go? These Yogurt Banana Popsicles will make your mornings so much easier!
- Brighten up your oatmeal with these Oatmeal Yogurt Cups! These cups combine the health benefits of yogurt, the sweetness of honey and the cravable crunch of oatmeal!
Yams also start with Y and are delicious. These starchy tubers are sweet, soft, and delicious cooked savory or in a sweet way.
More Words That Start With Letters
- Words that start with the letter A
- Words that start with the letter B
- Words that start with the letter C
- Words that start with the letter D
- Words that start with the letter E
- Words that start with the letter F
- Words that start with the letter G
- Words that start with the letter H
- Words that start with the letter I
- Words that start with the letter J
- Words that start with the letter K
- Words that start with the letter L
- Words that start with the letter M
- Words that start with the letter N
- Words that start with the letter O
- Words that start with the letter P
- Words that start with the letter Q
- Words that start with the letter R
- Words that start with the letter S
- Words that start with the letter T
- Words that start with the letter U
- Words that start with the letter V
- Words that start with the letter W
- Words that start with the letter X
- Words that start with the letter Y
- Words that start with the letter Z
More Letter X Words and Resources For Alphabet Learning
- More Letter Y learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter Y book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter Y
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter Y worksheet
- Easy letter Y craft for kids
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter Y? Share some of your favorites below!