Wonderful Words That Start with the Letter W
Let’s have some fun today with W words! Words that start with the letter W are wonderful. We have a list of W letter words, animals that start with W, W coloring pages, places that start with the letter W and letter W foods. These W words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
W Words For KidsIf you are looking for words beginning with W for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun. Related: Letter W Crafts This article contains affiliate links.
W IS FOR…
- W is for Winning, is when you succeed with great difficulty.
- W is for Warmhearted, is the feeling of kindness, sympathy, and generosity.
- W is for Welcoming, means very cordial.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER W:There are so many animals that start with a letter W. When you look at animals that begin with the letter W, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of W! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter W animals.
1. WHALE SHARK is an animal that starts with WThe Whale shark , is a large filter feeding shark, and is the largest shark in the world, reaching more than 30 feet in length! Found in all tropical and warm temperate seas, except in the Mediterranean, it has a very wide distribution. The Whale shark has a streamlined body and a wide, flattened head. Its body is marked by a unique “checkerboard” colour pattern of light spots and stripes on a dark background. Whale sharks are grey, blue or brown above, with a surface pattern of creamy white spots between pale, vertical and horizontal stripes. The belly is white. The use of the strange pattern on the Whale shark is unknown, although many bottom-dwelling Whale sharks use these markings as a camouflage against their backgrounds. It feeds mainly on plankton and nekton, small crustaceans, schooling fish, and sometimes on tuna and squids. Other food items for the Whale shark can include krill, and the larvae of Christmas Island red crab. You can read more about the W animal, Whale Shark on National Geographic
2. WOMBAT is an animal that starts with WFound in forested, mountainous, and heathland areas of south-eastern Australia, including Tasmania is a muscular marsupial, the wombat. Wombats dig extensive burrow systems with their rodent-like front teeth and powerful claws. Wombats are herbivores. Their diets consist mostly of grasses, sedges, herbs, bark, and roots. One distinctive adaptation of wombats is their backward pouch. The advantage of a backward-facing pouch is that when digging, the wombat does not gather soil in its pouch over its young. Would you believe me if I told you their poo comes out in cubes? No one is even really sure why! You can read more about the W animal, Wombat on Vedantu
3. WALRUS is an animal that starts with WA walrus is a marine mammal that looks kinda like a seal with huge teeth. Like true seals, they just have a hole for an ear – not ear flaps. They can rotate their back flippers forward to walk on land, like eared seals do. Like both true seals and eared seals, they are very good swimmers and divers. However, walruses do have some features that neither true seals nor eared seals have. Even though they are called tusks, they are actually teeth growing out of their mouth, a bit like the narwhal. Pushing its tusks into the ice, the walrus gets extra help hauling its huge body out of the sea. The walrus has an air sac under its throat which acts like a flotation bubble and allows it to bob vertically in the water while sleeping. You can read more about the W animal, Walrus on National Geographic
4. WOLVERINE is an animal that starts with WThe wolverine, a solitary animal, has a reputation for ferocity, and can kill prey many times larger than itself. It is a powerful and versatile predator and scavenger. Wolverines feed on almost every type of food that they can find: mice, rats, birds, bird eggs, reindeer and other large prey. Wolverines prefer to hunt larger prey in winter, when the snow slows down the prey and gives the wolverine an advantage. You can read more about the W animal, Wolverine on World Animal Foundation
5. WOODPECKER is an animal that starts with WWoodpeckers operate mainly on tree trunks, staying in place propped up by their stiff tail feathers. The woodpecker bill’s chisel-like tip is kept sharp by the pecking action on wood. Their long sticky tongues, which have bristles, help the birds grab and extract insects from deep in a hole of a tree. These feet have four toes, the first and the fourth face backward, and the second and third face forward. This foot arrangement is good for grasping the limbs and trunks of trees. You can read more about the W animal, Woodpecker on Britannica
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER W!Letter W Coloring Page Related: Letter W Color by Letter Worksheet
W Is For Whale Coloring Pages
- Check out these whimsical whale coloring pages.
- We have even more printable whale activities.
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER W:Next, in our words starting with the Letter W, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
1. W is for Washington D.C.Washington, D.C. is the capital city of the United States. The name comes from George Washington, the first U.S. President. The “D.C.” stands for “District of Columbia”, a special area created that is not a state. Since 1800, Washington D.C. is the home of all three branches of the U.S. government: Congress, the President, and the Supreme Court.
2. W is for WaikikiWaik?k? (/wa?ki??ki) is a beachfront neighborhood of Honolulu, on the south shore of the island of O?ahu, in Hawaii, United States. The name Waik?k? means spouting fresh water in the Hawaiian language, for springs and streams that fed wetlands that once separated Waik?k? from the interior. Waikiki’s most famous for Waik?k? Beach. The beach is actually fairly short, with half of it marked off for surfers. For some distance into the ocean the water is quite shallow, although there are numerous rocks on the bottom. As with most ocean beaches the waves can have some force, particularly on windy days. The surf at Waik?k? is known for its long rolling break, making it ideal for long boarding, tandem surfing, and beginners.
3. W is for WalesWales is a mountainous country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain. The 14 Welsh mountains over 3,000 feet high are known collectively as the Welsh 3000s. There are three national parks: Snowdonia, Brecon Beacons and Pembrokeshire Coast. It has a changeable, maritime climate and is one of the wettest countries in Europe. Welsh weather is often cloudy, wet and windy, with warm summers and mild winters.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER W:
W is for WatermelonWild watermelons originated in southern Africa. All parts of a watermelon can be eaten, even the rind, which actually contains a number of nutrients too, but due to the unappealing flavor is rarely eaten. In China though, the rind is used as a vegetable and stir-fried, stewed or pickled. The watermelon can be classed as both a fruit and a vegetable! Fruit because it grows from a seed, has a sweet refreshing flavor, and is loosely considered a type of melon (although it is actually a type of berry called a pepo). Vegetable because it is a member of the same family as the cucumber, pumpkin and squash. Farmers harvest watermelons from fields like other vine growing vegetables. The high water and electrolyte content of watermelons make them ideal as a refreshing summer thirst quenchers. They keep us hydrated, our skin fresh, and can clean the kidneys of toxins. Watermelon is such a summer staple and these delicious watermelon recipes are crazy good!
More Letter W Words and Resources For Alphabet Learning
- More Letter W learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter W book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter W
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter W worksheet
- Easy letter W craft for kids