We are so jazzed to be helping you teach your child words that start with with the letter N!
Education can be so exciting!
Incomplete would be a list of words that start with the Letter N without real world connections.
N IS FOR…
Neat, or clean and organized.
- Mary Poppins does a great job of helping the children make their room neat after play time.
Nurture, which means to encourage growth and development.
- Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl all help nurture Steven Universe on his journey to become a hero.
So, it is important that we include values that will help our children be well rounded as they in our journey to learn the letters of the alphabet. Then, children are better able to make the connections slowly. This helps build their character in a positive and sustainable manner.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER N:
Next up in words starting with the letter N, we have an animal that pirates in olden days often mistook for a unicorn!
Have you taken a moment to work on our Letter N Worksheets?
- This crazy looking creature is legendary. Long, white tusks break the surface of the icy Arctic water. It’s not a waterlogged herd of unicorns—it’s a pod of narwhals! Scientists don’t know exactly why narwhals have tusks. But, tusks are more than battle swords. Tthey’re packed with nerves and covered in tiny holes that allow seawater to enter. This gives tusks a sensitivity that could help narwhals detect changes in their environment such as temperature or even the water’s saltiness. Clues like these might help narwhals find prey or survive in other ways. Narwhals’ Arctic habitat makes them difficult to study, and scientists still have plenty to learn about them. These unicorns of the sea might be mysterious, but they’re certainly no myth.
- Many biologists see them as ‘living fossils’. Nautiluses are the only cephalopods who have an external shell. The shell contains many chambers. From around four at the moment of hatching, the number of chambers increases to thirty or more in adults. The shell color keeps the animal hidden in the water. When seen from the top, the shell is darker in color and marked with irregular stripes, which makes it blend into the darkness of the water below. The underside is almost completely white, making the animal indistinguishable from brighter waters near the ocean surface. This mode of camouflage is called counter-shading. Nautiluses are predators and feed mainly on shrimp, small fish and crustaceans, which are captured by the tentacles.
- Newts are small amphibians, a kind of salamander. The term “newt” specifically refers to salamanders living in the water. They live in North America, Europe, and North Asia. Newts have three life stages. First as a tiny aquatic larva, which gradually undergoes metamorphosis. Then they leave the water for a year as a juvenile called an eft. They go back in the water to breed as adults. In some species the adults stay in water for the rest of their lives. Others are land-based, but return to water each year to breed.
- The nightingale is a small bird. It migrates and eats large amounts of insects. Nightingales are named so because they frequently sing at night as well as during the day. The song is loud, with an impressive range of whistles, trills and gurgles. Its song is particularly noticeable at night because few other birds are singing. This is why its name (in several languages) includes “night”. Nightingales sing even more loudly in urban or near-urban environments, in order to overcome the background noise.
- The numbat is a marsupial from open woodlands in western Australia. Another name for the numbat is the banded anteater. Can you guess why? Unusual in being one of the few daytime – or diurnal – marsupials. Without a pouch, the mother carries her four young on her stomach. At night, they take shelter in hollow logs. These solitary, long-tailed termite-eaters are in danger of extinction. Very few remain in the wild. This is due to European settlers releasing red foxes into the wilds of Australia.
The world is a wonderfully fascinating place. Nice, noble, nimble – Animals that start with the letter N are just one natural part of our list.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER N!
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER N:
Next, in our words starting with the Letter N, we get to find out about some incredibly interesting places.
Don’t forget to take a break for our color by letters activity!
New York City
- In 1624 the Dutch established a colony on what’s now Manhattan Island called New Amsterdam. The British took control of the city and named it New York in 1664. New York City is the most populous city in the United States, with around 8.5 million residents. You can look down from the highest floor of the Empire State Building, climb the steps to the Statue of Liberty’s crown, and tour Ellis Island, where over 12 million immigrants entered the United States between 1892 and 1924. More than 800 languages are spoken in New York City, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world. 4 in 10 households speak a language other than English. France gifted the Statue of Liberty to the United States in 1886 for its centennial celebration. The statue was shipped as 350 pieces in 214 crates and took 4 months to assemble at its current home on Ellis Island.
- Located on the border of Ontario, Canada and New York, USA Niagara Falls is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. 30 million people travel from all over the world to witness its beauty and power, each year. There are three falls making up Niagara Falls: the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls and the Horseshoe Falls. The 3 waterfalls combine to produce the highest flow rate of any waterfall on earth.
- The Netherlands is a country in northwestern Europe known for its windmills, tulips, canals, and historic sites, also known as Holland. The main language in the Netherlands is Dutch, but most people speak more than one language. Stunningly beautiful, there are around 20 national parks in the Netherlands. Because flooding was a big problem in the history of the Netherlands, so man-made hills, dikes, and windmills (to pump water out) were constructed. Canals are prominent features of the landscape. The country experiences cool summers and moderate winters. It’s often breezy, especially in the winters and along the coast. Rain falls throughout the year, but April-September is usually drier.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER N:
N IS FOR NOODLES!
Use Your Noodle Facts:
- The origin of noodles is Chinese, and the earliest written record of noodles is found in a book dated to the Eastern Han period (25–220)
- Pasta has taken on a variety of shapes, often based on regional specializations.
- Made of wheat, rice, buckwheat, nut-flour, and a variety of vegetables.
Types of Noodles:
- Baked noodles: Boiled and drained noodles are combined with other ingredients and baked.
- Basic noodles: These are cooked in water or broth, then drained. The noodles can be served plain, with a dipping sauce, or oil to be added at the table. In general, noodles are soft and absorb flavors.
- Chilled noodles: Noodles that are served cold, sometimes in a salad.
- Fried noodles: Dishes made of noodles stir fried with various meats, seafood, vegetables, and dairy products.
- Noodle soup: Noodles served in broth.
Some of my favorite noodle recipes:
- Chicken noodle casserole is an easy meal for any night of the week.
- Satisfy the pickiest of eaters with easy rainbow pasta
- Easy cheesy chicken spaghetti is sure to make your kids happy, when they are hungry
- For a lighter, healthier option, check out our lean lo mein.
I hope that I have been able to give you some ideas! No one knows your child like you do. I know you’ll pick the very best examples of words that start with the letter N. Understanding comes just one letter at a time.