Are we already to the words that start with the letter U?
As your child is studying the letters of the alphabet and you are choosing the right learning games, we are here to provide some fun facts and relatable topics to help it all stick.
Understanding, which means to comprehend or know something.
United, or joined together.
Unique, another word for special or different.
There are an unending number of ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter U. Check out this especially helpful list of words that start with the letter U, geared towards personal development.
Speaking of development! Have you already had a look at our Letter U worksheets?
Ready for more words that start with the letter U?
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER U:
In the spirit of expanding our knowledge, I scoured the globe.
My kids love to learn all of the interesting animal facts that they can get their hands on. The weirder, the better! —fact intruigue—
- Although it may be hard to tell, that spiny ball is alive! About 950 species live on the seabed, inhabiting all oceans and depth zones up to 16,000 feet! Sea urchins move slowly, crawling with their tube feet, and sometimes pushing themselves with their spines. They feed primarily on algae but also eat slow-moving animals
- The Umbrellabird is a large, tropical species of bird that is found inhabiting the rainforests of Central and South America. All three species are relatively similar in appearance with an umbrella-like crest on the top of their heads (for which they were named) and a pendant-shaped inflatable pouch on their throats. For most of the year, the Umbrellabird can be found inhabiting lowlands and mountain foothills, generally at altitudes less than 500 meters. During the breeding season however, they migrate higher into the mountains where they gather in groups known as a “Lek” where they can find a mate. Fruits and small animals are the Umbrellabird’s primary sources of food, eating a range of invertebrates such as insects and spiders, along with small frogs and birds.
- The Urial is a wild sheep subspecies. The males have very large horns, as some can measure up to 3 feet. Their fur is usually brownish red in color, and they have white ‘beards’ on their faces below the mouth. Like most wild sheep, the Urial is found in hilly terrain, and are herbivores. They eat grasses, and lichen, along with other plants if needed. As social animals they live in flocks for protection from predators and warmth at night. This species is endangered.
- The Bald uakari is a South American primate with a rather unusual appearance. Thus, this animal exhibits a bright red, wide and flat face. Another characteristic feature of this animal is its extremely short tail. The natural habitat of this species stretches throughout Amazonian region of western Brazil, eastern Peru and in southern Colombia, where these animals inhabit exclusively tropical forest. They typically prefer flooded areas or will stick close to rivers. Uakaris are highly social creatures, forming groups of 10 – 30 individuals, although these primates have been observed in larger units of up to 100.
- The Uguisu is a small species of bird that is natively found throughout Japan, China and Taiwan, along with a number of other regions of the far east. The Uguisu is also commonly known as the Japanese Bush-Warbler, as it is named for its beautifully distinctive song. They are omnivores, but they mainly eat little insects, larva, and spiders during summer and they mainly eat seeds and nuts during winter. The Uguisu is a relatively solitary bird with individuals only really coming together during the breeding season.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER U!
Can’t stop coloring? Us, either! Don’t forget to check out our color by letter sheets!
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER U:
Our search words that start with the letter U has brought us to some pretty awesome places.
United States of America
- The United States of America is the world”s third largest country in size and the third largest in terms of population in the world! The landscape varies across this large country From tropical beaches of Florida to the snowy peaks of the Rocky Mountains. The rolling prairie lands and barren deserts in the west to the huge areas of dense wilderness in the north. Interspersed throughout are the Great Lakes, the Grand Canyon, the majestic Yosemite Valley and the mighty Mississippi River. And that is just the beautiful landscapes! There is too much to say about our unbelievable home!
- The United Kingdom, also called the U.K., consists of a group of islands off the northwest coast of Europe. Much of the north and west of the U.K. is covered in high ground, knife-edged mountain ridges separated by deep valleys. This terrain was shaped in the last Ice Age, when thick glaciers covered the land. The United Kingdom’s complex geology gives rise to a wide variety of landscapes and a range of habitats for its animal and plant life. But it is a very crowded country, and there are not many truly wild places left. The most successful wildlife species are those that can live alongside people.
United Arab Emirates
- This country has mountains in the eastern part and a dry desert with rolling sand dunes in the centre of the barren landscape. The UAE is a federation of seven emirates (like states!). Abu Dhabi is the largest emirate as it accounts for 84% of the total land area of the federation. Abu Dhabi is also home to the capital city also called Abu Dhabi. Dubai is the second biggest emirate and the economic hub of the region. Dubai is also known for its three man-made archipelagos, two were designed to look like a palm tree, and one to resemble a world map and for the world’s highest building, Burj Khalifa.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER U:
U is for Ugli Fruit
Ugli fruit, also known as Jamaican tangelo or uniq fruit, is a cross between an orange and a grapefruit. It’s gaining popularity for its novelty and sweet, citrusy taste. People also like it because its strange green peel is easy to remove.
You can make an Ugli Fruit into just about anything you can make with oranges!
Here are five of my favorite orange recipes that would be easy to “ugli-fy”!
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter U? Share some of your favorites, below!