Let’s have some fun today with U words! Words that start with the letter U are unique and unexpected. We have a list of U letter words, animals that start with U, U coloring pages, places that start with the letter U and letter U foods. These U words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
U Words for Kids
If you are looking for words beginning with U for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun.
Related: Letter U Crafts
This article contains affiliate links.
- U is for Understanding, which means to comprehend or know something.
- U is for United, or joined together.
- U is for Unique, another word for special or different.
There are unlimited ways to spark more ideas for educational opportunities for the letter U. If you are looking for value words that start with U, check out this list from Personal DevelopFit.
Related: Letter U Worksheets
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER U
There are so many animals that start with a letter U. When you look at animals that begin with the letter U, you will find them as unusual as the starting sound of U! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter U animals.
1. URCHIN is an Animal that Starts with U
Although it may be hard to tell, that spiny ball is alive! About 950 species live on the seabed, inhabiting all oceans and depth zones up to 16,000 feet. Sea urchins move slowly, crawling with their tube feet, and sometimes pushing themselves with their spines. They feed primarily on algae but also eat slow-moving animals.
You can read more about the U animal, Urchin on WHOI.
2. UMBRELLA BIRD is an Animal that Starts with U
The Umbrellabird is a large, tropical species of bird that is found inhabiting the rainforests of Central and South America. All three species are relatively similar in appearance with an umbrella-like crest on the top of their heads (for which they were named) and a pendant-shaped inflatable pouch on their throats. For most of the year, the Umbrellabird can be found inhabiting lowlands and mountain foothills, generally at altitudes less than 500 meters. During the breeding season however, they migrate higher into the mountains where they gather in groups known as a “Lek” where they can find a mate. Fruits and small animals are the Umbrellabird’s primary sources of food, eating a range of invertebrates such as insects and spiders, along with small frogs and birds.
You can read more about the U animal, Umbrella Bird on A-Z Animals.
3. URIAL is an Animal that Starts with U
The Urial is a wild sheep subspecies. The males have very large horns, as some can measure up to 3 feet. Their fur is usually brownish red in color, and they have white ‘beards’ on their faces below the mouth. Like most wild sheep, the Urial is found in hilly terrain, and are herbivores. They eat grasses, and lichen, along with other plants if needed. As social animals they live in flocks for protection from predators and warmth at night. This species is endangered.
You can read more about the U animal, Urial on The Website of Everything.
4. UAKARI is an Animal that Starts with U
The Bald uakari is a South American primate with a rather unusual appearance. Thus, this animal exhibits a bright red, wide and flat face. Another characteristic feature of this animal is its extremely short tail. The natural habitat of this species stretches throughout Amazonian region of western Brazil, eastern Peru and in southern Colombia, where these animals inhabit exclusively tropical forest. They typically prefer flooded areas or will stick close to rivers. Uakaris are highly social creatures, forming groups of 10 – 30 individuals, although these primates have been observed in larger units of up to 100.
You can read more about the U animal, Uakari on Animalia.
5. UGUISU is an Animal that Starts with U
The Uguisu is a small species of bird that is natively found throughout Japan, China and Taiwan, along with a number of other regions of the far east. The Uguisu is also commonly known as the Japanese Bush-Warbler, as it is named for its beautifully distinctive song. They are omnivores, but they mainly eat little insects, larva, and spiders during summer and they mainly eat seeds and nuts during winter. The Uguisu is a relatively solitary bird with individuals only really coming together during the breeding season.
You can read more about the U animal, Ugusisu on Animals A to Z for Kids.
Letter U Animal Coloring Pages
Related: Letter U Coloring Page
Related: Letter U Color by Letter Worksheet
U is for Unicorn Coloring Pages
Here at Kids Activities Blog we believe in unicorns and have a lot of fun unicorn coloring pages and unicorn printables that can be used when celebrating the letter U:
- Set of 6 Unicorn coloring pages
- I love these cute unicorn pictures to color
- Try coloring this U is for Unicorn Zentangle
- Check out these printable unicorn facts
- And kids can learn to make their own unicorn drawing with these simple steps
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER U
Have you ever wondered what countries and cities begin with the letter U? We found some pretty interesting places we would like to visit…
1. U is for United States of America
Mountains. The rolling prairie lands and barren deserts in the west to the huge areas of dense wilderness in the north. Interspersed throughout are the Great Lakes, the Grand Canyon, the majestic Yosemite Valley and the mighty Mississippi River. And that is just the beautiful landscapes! There is too much to say about our unbelievable home!
2. U is for United Arab Emirates
This country has mountains in the eastern part and a dry desert with rolling sand dunes in the centre of the barren landscape. The UAE is a federation of seven emirates (like states!). Abu Dhabi is the largest emirate as it accounts for 84% of the total land area of the federation. Abu Dhabi is also home to the capital city also called Abu Dhabi. Dubai is the second biggest emirate and the economic hub of the region. Dubai is also known for its three man-made archipelagos, two were designed to look like a palm tree, and one to resemble a world map and for the world’s highest building, Burj Khalifa.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER U
U is for Ugli Fruit
Ugli fruit, also known as Jamaican tangelo or uniq fruit, is a cross between an orange and a grapefruit. It’s gaining popularity for its novelty and sweet, citrusy taste. People also like it because its strange green peel is easy to remove. You can make an Ugli Fruit into just about anything you can make with oranges! Here are five of my favorite orange recipes that would be easy to “ugli-fy”!
More Words That Start With Letters
- Words that start with the letter A
- Words that start with the letter B
- Words that start with the letter C
- Words that start with the letter D
- Words that start with the letter E
- Words that start with the letter F
- Words that start with the letter G
- Words that start with the letter H
- Words that start with the letter I
- Words that start with the letter J
- Words that start with the letter K
- Words that start with the letter L
- Words that start with the letter M
- Words that start with the letter N
- Words that start with the letter O
- Words that start with the letter P
- Words that start with the letter Q
- Words that start with the letter R
- Words that start with the letter S
- Words that start with the letter T
- Words that start with the letter U
- Words that start with the letter V
- Words that start with the letter W
- Words that start with the letter X
- Words that start with the letter Y
- Words that start with the letter Z
More Letter U Words & Resources for Alphabet Learning
- More Letter U learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter U book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter U
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter u worksheet
- Easy letter U craft for kids
Can you think of more examples for words that start with the letter U? Share some of your favorites, below!