Awesome Preschool Letter A Book List
Let’s read books that start with the letter A! Part of a good Letter A lesson plan will include reading. A Letter A Book List is an essential part of your preschool curriculum whether that is in the classroom or at home. In learning the letter A, your child will master letter A recognition which can be accelerated through reading books with the letter A.
Preschool Letter Books for the Letter A
There are so many fun letter books for preschool age kids. They tell the letter A story with bright illustrations and compelling plot lines. These books work great for letter of the day reading, book week ideas for preschool, letter recognition practice or just sitting down and reading!
Related: Check out our list of best preschool workbooks!
This post contains affiliate links.
Letter A Books to Teach the Letter A
These are some of our favorites! Learning the Letter A is easy, with these fun books to read and enjoy with your little one.
1. Hey, Little Ant by Phillip & Hannah House
To squish, or not to squish? This fun little book attempts to answer the classic childhood question. But with a twist! It turns out, ants can talk, if you are only willing to listen.
2. The Lady With The Alligator Purse by Nadine Bernard Westcott
This illustrated adaptation uses humor and rhyming to expand vocabulary! It makes hard words like alligator easy to say, and fun!
3. Amazing Airplanes by Tony Mitton & Ant Parker
With a cute little animal crew, learn all about flying! The letter A is the star of this book as children learn about air stewards, pilots, engines, and more!
4. The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall
Follow two sisters as they watch a beautiful apple tree go through the seasons. Spring and winter look so different for the apple tree!
Related idea: Learning is hard work! Take a break and make a yummy a is for apple pie. It’s a lesson, and a snack!
5. Away in my Airplane by Margaret Wise Brown
Can you tell how much we love airplanes, in this house? Aside from being a great letter A word, airplanes are our avenue to exploring the whole world around us! Away in my Airplane is the perfect bedtime story for your Letter A week!
6. Are You An Ant? by Judy Allen & Tudor Humphries
One of the hardest things for my older daughter was saying “an” object instead of just “a” object. This book helped us fix that problem! It made it fun and easy for her to remember when to use “an”.
Related: Favorite rhyming books for kids
Letter A Books for Preschoolers
7. Ape’s Great Escape by Russell Punter & David Semple
Find out how Ape’s Great Escape goes with this lively story and humorous illustrations, ideal for children who are beginning to read for themselves or for reading aloud together. Simple rhyming text and phonic repetition are specially designed for children. They are there to develop essential language and early reading skills.
8. Also an Animal by Lynn Perrish Sutton & Melissa Babcock Saylor
Pretend, imagine, learn, and share with all members of the animal kingdom! This delightful ode to the love between a parent and child is a heartwarming way to learn the letter A. The gently rhyming text paired with gorgeous cut-paper illustrations make this a book for your children to cherish.
9. Armadillo on a Pillow by Russell Punter & David Semple
Sleepy Armadillo receives a late night visit from a fairy. But, he soon gets carried away with the wishes she grants… A fun rhyming story, specially written to develop phonemic awareness, with wonderful illustrations. This book is ideal both for reading aloud and for children who are beginning to read for themselves.
10. Axolotl Finds a Bottle
Axolotl longs for adventure. One day, she finds an old bottle with something amazing inside. What could it be? Wonder aloud with your child as Axolotl prepares for the treasure inside!
More Letter Books for Preschoolers
- Letter B books
- Letter C books
- Letter D books
- Letter E books
- Letter F books
- Letter G books
- Letter H books
- Letter I books
- Letter J books
- Letter K books
- Letter L books
- Letter M books
- Letter N books
- Letter O books
- Letter P books
- Letter Q books
- Letter R books
- Letter S books
- Letter T books
- Letter U books
- Letter V books
- Letter W books
- Letter X books
- Letter Y books
- Letter Z books
More Recommended Preschool Books from Kids Activities Blog
Oh! And one last thing! If you love reading with your children, and are on the hunt for age-appropriate reading lists, we have the group for you! Join Kids Activities Blog in our Book Nook FB Group.
You can join for FREE and get access to all of the fun including kid book discussions, giveaways and easy ways to encourage reading at home.
More Letter A Learning for Preschoolers
- As you work to teach your toddler the alphabet, it’s important to get off to a great start!
- Keep things fun and light with the Letter A song! Songs are one of our favorite ways to learn.
- Inspire their creativity with our fun letter A craft!
- When you need a few minutes to get some cleaning or other work done, we have just the thing! Sit your kiddo down with a letter A worksheet to keep them busy, for a little while.
- Print our letter a coloring page or letter a zentangle pattern.
- Find perfect preschool art projects.
- Check out our huge resource on preschool homeschool curriculum.
- And download our Kindergarten readiness checklist to see if you are on schedule!
- Make a craft inspired by a favorite book!
- Check out our favorite story books for bedtime!
Which letter A book was your child’s favorite letter book?
Thank you! The books are very good, we have some :). Learning to read before school is desirable, and then build up reading speed. A lot of assignments, the conditions need to be able to read first. So less to sit with lessons later, more time for other hobbies, walks, games. And it’s better to write printed letters and numbers and different elements, or at special preparatory classes where they show how to write with a slope, where to start from. So that you don’t have to retrain later.
All very good points!