9 Fun Easter Egg Alternatives that Do Not Require Egg Dyeing
These fun egg decorating ideas are Easter egg designs that do NOT require any dyeing, dipping, dripping or mess! We have some creative ideas for different ways to decorate eggs the whole family can enjoy.
Egg Decorating Ideas for Kids
Easter egg dyeing is one of my favorite artsy activities to do with my kids this time of year. We have the best ideas to make colorful eggs the easy way without dye.
Related: Instructions for Dying Easter eggs the traditional way
But when you don’t have any hard-boiled eggs? What if you don’t want to make a mess? What if you just want to try something new this year.
Easter Egg Decorations – No Dye Required!
You can think outside the traditional egg this Easter with these crafty activities that both you and your kids will love.
This article contains affiliate links.
1. Birdseed Easter Eggs to Hang in the Trees
I love this recipe from Redeem Your Ground for hanging bird feeders created from a plastic egg “mold”. The benefit of using plastic eggs as molds is that you usually have a bunch!
Making Birdseed Eggs
Use the recipe from Redeem Your Ground or we have done something similar with just two ingredients plus several dozen plastic Easter eggs:
- gelatin mix (unflavored)
- bird seed
Make the gelatin per the box instructions, then mix in 10 cups of bird seed:
- You may want to divide this up so you’re not making it all at once… because this recipe will get make anywhere from three to four dozen “eggs!”
- To form the bird seed eggs, spray the plastic eggs with cooking spray.
- Once you’ve done that, pack the mixture into the eggs and put them in the fridge so they can harden.
- Once they’ve formed, you can pop them out of the eggs and leave them as treats in your yard for the birds… and maybe even the squirrels too.
2. Make Decorated Paper Eggs Craft
This is one of the ways that making paper eggs with kids can be so fun! Check out how kids of all ages can do this and end up with a work of art!
From Mrs. Green Art Art Baby, she had the kids paint card stock paper or light cardboard with egg patterns and then cut out egg shapes. What I love is the fact that the egg shapes are not perfect add to their charm.
Related: Start your Easter egg decoration art project with our Easter egg coloring pages
Decorated Easter Eggs with Paper Eggs
- Check out this paper Easter eggs idea
- Mosaic Easter egg paper craft for kids
- Easy Easter craft for preschoolers with printable egg template
- Easter egg stamp art project for kids
- Toddler Easter craft
3. Decorate Easter Eggs With Stickers
Rather than using messy dye to color eggs, decorate eggs, you can do it with stickers, washi tape or temporary tattoos. It is great fun to do this on hardboiled eggs, but if you want them to last longer, you could use plastic Easter eggs or even check out these cool wooden eggs that could be used year after year.
Make a Face Egg
Make use of the Easter egg’s shape and create a face with stickers. There are several really fun sets of stickers you could use:
- Easter Egg themed pack for making the faces of pig, bunny, chicken, cow, sheep and duck
- Face stickers with lips, glasses, beard, ties and foam eyes decals
- Make a face sticker sheets
Foam Stickers to Decorate Easter Eggs
These foam stickers transform any type of Easter egg into cute little Easter creatures like lamb, chick or the Easter bunny. You can find them at Oriental Trading Company.
4. Make Egg Buddies
Let’s have a little fun with our food…egg buddies that wear egg pants.
Yep, I said egg pants.
Are you looking to bring a little fun to the breakfast table? Egg Buddies are nutritious, silly, and fun for kids to make and eat.
Serve them with fruit, toast, and orange juice for a delicious, easy breakfast. Or if you just want to take the idea as a decoration, you could use plastic or wooden eggs instead.
Get all the instructions for these cute egg buddies or egg with a face…
5. Decorate Eggs with Markers instead of Dye
Have you seen the TV ads for Eggmazing Decorator and wondered if it really works as well as it appears?
- It works well with kids! Check out our Eggmazing review here at Kids Activities Blog.
- And grab the kids because Eggmazing will keep them decorating without a mess…
6. Make Gak Filled Easter Eggs
Science experiment plus Easter craft? Are you looking for a fun, non-candy treat for Easter eggs?
Kids will love the oozy, gooey, slimy fun of Gak Filled Easter Eggs!
So if you are looking for what to fill plastic eggs with…we have you covered!
7. String Wrapped Eggs Craft as Decorated Easter Eggs
- Use plastic eggs with several vertical stripes of glue to wind string around.
- This is easiest if you start with the string attached at first (let the glue dry so the string is attached securely to the egg before winding further).
- Wind the string around and around the egg until it is fully covered.
These decorated eggs turn out like works of art!
8. Make Marbled Egg Craft
This Easter egg art melds science with art. For this craft, you’ll need: nail polish, water, plastic bin, newspaper, and watercolor paper cut into egg shapes.
9. Homemade Easter Egg Cards
My kids adore creating art and writing notes for family members. This year, I’m combining their love of notes with an Easter craft to make Easter egg cards. To make these cards, all you need is card stock and any other craft supplies you have handy.
Even if you don’t have real eggs, there are still so many fun Easter egg activities and crafts to do. You can also get our printable Easter card here.
MORE EASTER EGG IDEAS, PRINTABLES & COLORING PAGES
- This zentangle coloring page is a beautiful bunny to color. Our zentangle coloring pages are as popular with adults as the kids!
- Make Easter cascarones
- Don’t miss our printable bunny thank you notes which will brighten any mailbox!
- Check out this free Easter printables which is really a very large bunny coloring page!
- I love this simple Easter bag idea you can make at home!
- These paper Easter eggs are fun to color and decorate.
- What cute Easter worksheets preschool level kids will love!
- Need more printable Easter worksheets? We have so many fun and educational bunny and baby chick filled pages to print!
- This adorable Easter color by number reveals a fun picture inside.
- Color this free Egg doodle coloring page!
- Oh the cuteness of these free Easter egg coloring pages.
- How about a big packet of 25 Easter Coloring Pages
- And some really fun Color An Egg Coloring Pages.
- Check out how to draw the Easter bunny tutorial…it is easy & printable!
- And our printable Easter fun facts pages are really awesome.
- We have all these ideas and more featured in our free Easter coloring pages!
What is your favorite non-Easter-egg-dyeing alternative for Easter egg fun!