This whole wheat penne pasta is a crowd-pleasing, simple to make lunch. We love this meal from this subscription meal plan service, and if you sign up, use the code KAB20 for 20% off your entire order.
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 6 ounce – penne pasta, dry
- 1 cup – broccoli, florets
- 1 medium – onion
- 6 ounce – turkey sausage
- 2 clove – garlic
- 1 medium – lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1/3 cup – Parmesan cheese, grated
Directions for Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, adding broccoli during the last 5-6 minutes of cooking. Drain well and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Dice onion.
- Remove casings from the sausage; cook together with the onion until meat is no longer pink, breaking the meat up with a spatula as it cooks. Drain any excess fat.
- Mince garlic and add to the skillet; cook and stir 1 minute. Meanwhile, zest 2 teaspoons of the lemon peel.
- Add sausage mixture, lemon peel, and black pepper to the cooked pasta; toss until well blended.
- Add the cheese and toss once more, allowing the cheese to melt.
- Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired; serve grapes on the side.
Cut the lemon into wedges and serve on the side for extra spritzing, or add to a pitcher of water for an extra-refreshing drink. If not desired right away, the fruit (or simply the juice) can be stored in the refrigerator (or freezer!) and used in a later meal. Whatever the case, there’s no need for it to go to waste–feel free to get creative!
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Calories 404 kcal
Protein 17 g
Carb 58 g
Fiber 3 g
Sugar 14 g
We love this meal from this subscription meal plan service, and if you sign up, use the code KAB20 for 20% off your entire order.