Vivacious Words That Start with the Letter V
Let’s have some fun today with V words! Words that start with the letter V are very nice. We have a list of V letter words, animals that start with V, V coloring pages, places that start with the letter V and letter V foods. These V words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
V Words For KidsIf you are looking for words beginning with V for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun. Related: Letter V Crafts This article contains affiliate links.
V IS FOR…
- V is for Voyager, is a traveler that is from a far away land.
- V is for Value, is the worth of something.
- V is for Veteran, is a person who has served in the armed forces.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE LETTER V:There are so many animals that start with a letter V. When you look at animals that begin with the letter V, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of V! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter V animals.
1. V is for VIPERVipers are a family of venomous snakes. All vipers have a pair of long hollow fangs which are used to inject venom from glands found in the back of the upper jaws. Almost all vipers have ridged scales, a well built body with a short tail, and, because of where the venom glands are found, a triangular-shaped head. Slit-shaped pupils that can open wide to cover most of the eye or close almost completely, which helps them to see in a wide range of light levels. Truly nightmarish, they are nocturnal, meaning that they sleep in the day and wake up at night and they ambush their prey. Vipers are predators, meaning that they eat other animals, their main diet is eating birds (including bird eggs), amphibians, such as frogs and toads, and other small reptiles like lizards and other smaller snakes. You can read more about the V animal, Vipers on Live Science
2. V is for VOLEA vole is a small mouse-like mammal. There are about 155 species of voles. There are species in Europe, Asia, North Africa and North America. The closest relatives of voles are the lemmings and muskrats. Adult voles, depending on the species, are three to seven inches long. They eat seeds, grass or other plants, and insects. You can read more about the V animal, Vole on Extension PSU EDU
3. V is for VULTUREVultures are large birds of prey that usually feed on carrion (dead animals). They use their large wings to soar in the air for many miles without having to flap. In some places, these birds are also called buzzards. New World vultures is a name which is used for a number of species in the Americas. The best known of these are probably the Andean condor and the black vulture. Vultures from the Old World (Europe, Asia, and Africa) are not related to the vultures of the New World. Old World vultures are related to eagles and hawks and use sight to find their food. New World vultures are related to storks and use their sense of smell to find their food. Vultures symbolize death in literature. You can read more about the V animal, Vulture on DK Find Out
4. V is for VAMPIRE BATWhile much of the world sleeps, vampire bats emerge from dark caves, mines, tree hollows, and abandoned buildings in Mexico and Central and South America. Like the legendary monster that they’re named after, these small mammals drink the blood of other animals for survival. They feed on cows, pigs, horses, and birds. But! Not all is as it seems with these creepy critters. The animals are so light and graceful that they can sometimes drink blood from an animal for more than 30 minutes without waking it up. The blood-sucking doesn’t even hurt their prey. Captive female bats seem especially friendly toward new mothers. After a baby is born, other bats have been observed feeding the mom for about two weeks after the birth. Vampire bats can actually be quite tame, and even friendly to humans. One researcher reported that he had vampire bats that would come to him when he called their names. (But you should never try to handle a wild animal!) You can read more about the V animal, Vampire Bat on Kids National Geographic
5. V is for VERVET MONKEYVervets are mostly herbivorous monkeys. They have black faces and grey body hair color. Vervet monkeys serve as a primate model for understanding genetic and social behaviors of humans. They have some human-like characteristics, such as hypertension, anxiety, and even alcohol use. Vervets live in social groups ranging from 10 to 70 individuals. They were found mostly throughout Southern Africa, as well as some of the eastern countries. However, they have been accidentally introduced to the Americas and are spreading. You can read more about the V animal, Vervet on Animalia
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER V!Letter V Coloring Page Related: Letter V Color by Letter Worksheet
V Is For Vampire Bat Coloring Pages
- These vampire bat coloring pages are the best.
- We have other bat fact coloring pages too.
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER V:Next, in our words starting with the Letter V, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
1. V is for VirginiaIn 1607, Jamestown—the first English colony in what would become the United States—was founded in Virginia. Travel the state from west to east, and you’ll pass through five different geographical areas. Farthest west is the Appalachian Plateau, which is covered in forests, winding rivers, and flat-topped rock. Continue east, and you’ll cross the Appalachian Ridge and Valley, which is full of caverns, sinkholes, and natural bridges. It’s also where you’ll find Shenandoah National Park. Farther east is the Blue Ridge, a steep part of the Appalachian Mountains with craggy peaks and deep ravines. Next is the Piedmont, a plain that spreads across most of central Virginia. The Piedmont leads to the Atlantic Coastal Plain, a lowland with swamps and salt marshes that stretches to the ocean.
2. V is for Venice, ItalyVenice is a city in Italy. It is the capital of the Veneto region, which is in the north-east of the country. Venice is built on 118 small islands that are separated by 150 canals. People cross the canals by many small bridges. They can also be taken for rides along the canals in a type of boat called a gondola. The buildings in Venice are very old and attractive, and tourists come from all over the world to see them and the canals. This has made Venice one of the most famous cities in the world.
3. V is for Vatican CityAn enclave – which means it is completely surrounded by the city of Rome, the capital of Italy. The Head of State is the Pope. Vatican City is the smallest country in the world by size. If your kids love that, have them check out these other 50 random facts!
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER V:
V is for VanillaYou know that vanilla is oh-so-delicious, but did you also know that it’s rare and expensive? After saffron, vanilla is the most expensive spice in the world. Vanilla is the only fruit-bearing member of the orchid family, and its flowers only last one day! Only one species of bee pollinates vanilla, so people have learned to do it using a wooden needle. Isn’t that wild? Easy Vanilla Icebox Cake literally takes first place when I need a quick go-to dessert. Try it out with your kids, today!
More Letter V Words and Resources For Alphabet Learning
- More Letter V learning ideas
- ABC games has a bunch of playful alphabet learning ideas
- Let’s read from the letter V book list
- Learn how to make a bubble letter V
- Practice tracing with this preschool and Kindergarten letter V worksheet
- Easy letter V craft for kids