Halloween means the family can dress up together with family costumes. But what is the best, easiest and cheapest way to achieve the best family Halloween costumes for YOUR family? We have found the best family costume ideas and inspiration so that this year YOUR family will win the best family costume prize…even if that isn’t a thing!
Family Halloween Costumes
Read on for many family Halloween costume ideas. But first, the inspiration behind these family costumes.
During my pregnancy with my second child, these thoughts ran through my head. Amidst the mommy worries, a new idea hit me. An idea that made my anxieties subside for just a bit, an idea that made me giggle with possibilities, an idea that made my upcoming title of “Mommy of two kids under two” just a bit more exciting. That idea was that once I had two little children, I could plan themed costumes for the whole family!
This post contains affiliate links.
Best Family Halloween Costumes
Sure, I could have dressed the whole family up when we just had one baby, but I never thought of that. I think I was too busy obsessing over all the adorable Pottery Barn costumes available for infants to come to such a conclusion. These days, Halloween is big business in the retail world so the possibilities for family costumes were and still are…endless.
Best Family Costume Ideas
My idea soon became an obsession. I poured over websites, polled my blog readers, and obsessed over my choices for family Halloween costumes during most of my middle-of-the-night feedings.
Choose the Best Family Costumes Theme
A theme was eventually chosen and when October 31st rolled around that year, my children (and their theme) were darling.
- Just like at my house, other parents are getting into the Halloween spirit by donning Halloween costumes before heading out to local festivals or setting off to trick-or-treat in the neighborhood with their children.
- Many families find it fun to dress in a group theme. Below are some great family Halloween costume ideas you can use this year, devised in my middle-of-the-night Halloween planning sessions.
1. Firefighter Costumes for the Family
Headed to a fire. Dressing up as a firefighter is a popular Halloween costume choice for boys. Turn this choice into a creative family theme by having one child be a firefighter and one child a Dalmatian. Mom can be a flame while Dad serves as the fire hydrant.
A stroller can even be outfitted to look like a fire engine.
2. Iconic TV Families Dress Up
They’re creepy and they’re spooky. A perfect family costume for Halloween is dressing up as a famous family. The Addams Family, the Flintstones, the Beverly Hillbillies, and the Jetsons are all iconic families that would be perfect to re-create for Halloween.
3. Star Wars Costumes For The Entire Family
My family LOVES Star Wars and I love a good DIY costume. So, the only thing better is a family size costume idea for Halloween night that includes the entire family. Pick your perfect costume like: A Jedi, Sith, R2D2, C3PO, or Leia!
4. Honey Bees Family Costumes
What’s all the “buzzz” about. Parents oftentimes feel like bee keepers, attempting to keep busy little bodies corralled all day. Why not transform such a thought into a Halloween costume? Mom and Dad can be the bee keeper while little ones can be the honey bees.
5. Peter Pan Costumes for All!
Off to Neverland! Fairy tales make for a great theme for families wishing to sport similar Halloween costumes. Go with something fun such as Peter Pan, where the males in the family can be Peter Pan or Captain Hook and the females can be Tinker-bell or Wendy.
6. Royal Family Costume…Kinda
7. Sports Team Costumes
Play Ball! Have a favorite sports team? Why not show some team spirit by turning a love for a sports team into a Halloween costume. Ideas range from dressing as football players, cheerleaders, or super-excited fans.
8. Peanuts Costumes For The Whole Family
Dress up like Charlie Brown, Lucy, Pig Pen, Linus, Peppermint Patty, and Marcy! These are some fun family Halloween costumes and the best part it’s definitely family sized! The Peanuts gang is definitely great for group Halloween costumes.
9. Cowboys & Cowgirls Costumes
Howdy Partner. Set the focus on the old West and have the family put on their best Western gear. Dad could play the Sheriff while the young boys in the family are the rowdy outlaws. Living in Texas, western supplies are easily available which makes this theme simple to create.
10. Favorite TV Characters as Halloween Costumes
And what about Toy Story’s Buzz Lightyear and Woody which are popular once again (not that they ever really left)? Mom could be Bo Peep while Dad portrays Mr. Potato Head.
11. Magical Wizard Of All Family Costumes
Who doesn’t love the Wizard of Oz? We all have favorite characters like the Cowardly Lion, Dorothy, The Tinman, and The Scarecrow. All family members will have someone to dress up as! The whole crew could even be flying monkeys.
The Halloween Costume Theme For This Year Is…
My little family of four has selected a theme for this Halloween and we are going as a full movie production:
12. Family Movie Night Themed Costumes
Happy Halloween! You can get all the details on this fun and DIY cardboard box costumes right here on Kids Activities Blog.
OTHER HALLOWEEN COSTUMES YOU MIGHT LIKE From Kids Activities Blog:
- Kids who use wheelchairs deserve to dress up, too! Check out these awesome costumes for kids in wheelchairs.
- Create homemade Halloween costumes for everyone in your family!
- Halloween isn’t just for kids! Browse these fun Toy Story Halloween costumes for adults.
- Check out this cute unicorn costume at Target that was designed specifically for children with disabilities.
- Check out these fun Halloween costumes for boys!
- Pick up one of these beautiful costumes for girls.
- Halloween original costumes are a hit year after year!
- Save money and make one of these homemade baby costumes for your little one.
- Frozen Halloween costumes for kids are always popular.
- View the top kids costumes right now.
- Eeeeek! These scary girl costumes will make you scream in horror (or delight)!
- These inexpensive Halloween costumes won’t break the bank.
- Your daughter can become Belle, Ariel, or Anna with these princess costumes for Halloween.
- Make your own DIY Halloween treat boxes!
Don’t miss these dollar store Halloween decor hacks!
Does your family dress up in a group theme for Halloween? Leave a comment and share all your fun family costume ideas.