Learn how to make your own Greek Mythology cloak inspired by the Twelve Labors of Heracles! You’ll be able to easily make your own cloak costume inspired by Heracles’s cloak made from the fur of the fearsome Nemean Lion!
DIY Heracles Nemean Lion Cloak
You can easily make your own Heracles Nemean Lion cloak costume using just a towel to blanket. You can make your own Heracles Nemean Lion cloak costume at home and you can use it for a Halloween costume, Renaissance Faire costume, or a costume party!
Easy kids heracles nemean lion cloak costume
Do you want to make your own Heracles inspired costume to wear for Halloween or just for fun? Here’s an easy guide!
This article contains affiliate links.
supplies needed to make your own heracles nemean lion cloak
How to make your own heracles nemean lion cloak
Gather your materials together. Take your yellow blanket or towel and lay it out on the floor, fold part of it like the image shown above.
Drape the blanket or towel over your shoulders with the folded part facing out.
Using your safety pin, pin the ends of your blanket or towel in the middle.
Take the folder part of your fabric and put it over your head to resemble a hood.
Once you have your cloak adjusted to your liking, you’re all done!
finished heracles nemean lion cloak
tips for making your own heracles nemean lion cloak
- Use a blanket instead of a towel for a more cloak-like look.
- Use the steps from this craft with other fabric types to make more cloaks for other costumes!
my experience with this craft
This craft was super fun and easy for me to make, it didn’t take very long to put together or try out. I will definitely be using the steps from this craft in the future for my own costumes and outfits for the Renaissance Faire or costume parties!
I really love Greek Mythology so getting to read up and research Heracles and his Twelve labors to make a Nemean Lion inspired cloak was super fun! You can read about Heracles and the Nemean lion more in the section below!)
(Sourced from Epic Tales: Greek Myths and Tales, by Flame Tree Publishing).
heracles and the nemean lion myth
A long, long time ago in Ancient Greece there was a great man named Heracles. He was one of the many sons of Zeus, the king of the Greek gods. Heracles was well known for his strength as well as the twelve labors he completed. The first labor he had to complete was slaying the fearsome Nemean Lion!
Heracles traveled from his cousins home in Mycenae to Nemea, where the beast lived. After many days and many nights, Heracles arrived at the layer of the Nemean Lion. First, he tried to slay the beast from a distance using his bow and arrows, but the lions fur was impenetrable! Cleverly, Heracles ran towards the lion and stuck it over the head with his club. Swiftly he grabbed the lions neck and choked it until it passed away. Deciding that the Nemean Lion’s impenetrable fur would be of good use to him, Heracles took it from the lion and fashioned it into a cloak.
Upon completing this task, Heracles returned to Mycenae.
Find out more about the Twelve Labors of Heracles with this fun video! Watch with a parent as some scenes could be scary for young children.
Video: The Myth of Hercules
- -blanket or towel
- -safety pin
1. Gather your materials together
2. Take your yellow blanket or towel and lay it out on the floor, fold part of it like the image shown above.
3. Drape the blanket or towel over your shoulders with the folded part facing out.
4. Using your safety pin, pin the ends of your blanket or towel in the middle.
5. Take the folder part of your fabric and put it over your head to resemble a hood.
6. Ta-da! Now you have your very own Nemean Lion hyde cloak!
More history fun and activities from kids ACTIVITIES blog
- Ancient Greek Pottery Craft
- Easy Kids Egyptian pyramid Tomb Box Craft
- Easy Nile River Kids Summer Water Activity
- Black history month for kids
- Dia de los muertos for kids
- 4th of July facts for kids
- Printable 4th of July facts for kids
- Leonardo da Vinci for kids
- American flag coloring pages
- Shakespeare for kids facts
- Catapults kids can make
- How was life in the 50s different from now?
How did your Heracles Nemean Lion costume turn out? Let us know in the comments!