Halloween costume shopping can cause some extreme sticker shock these days. It’s hard to find inexpensive Halloween costumes as Halloween elbows its way to becoming a 5 billion dollar holiday, prices associated with this event continue to soar. Stores routinely market children’s costumes at prices higher than standard clothing prices. Parents can often times be at a loss as they struggle to find the balance between allowing children to participate in Halloween and maintaining the family budget.
Costuming one’s child for Halloween does not have to break the bank. In fact, there are several costume ideas that are both darling and affordable that will make for a wonderful holiday. (This post contains affiliate links.)
Inexpensive Halloween Costumes
- Purchase a costume kit. Many retailers are selling simple costume kits, consisting of a few necessities to generate a particular costume theme. For example, one can purchase a costume kit that can transform a little boy into a famous cowboy. Simply add jeans and a white shirt from the child’s existing wardrobe and let the trick-or-treating begin!
- Go Retro. Consider stepping back in time and dressing children in clothing of past decades. Goodwill Stores and resale shops are excellent places to discover clothing of past generations. Send children out on Halloween dressed as hippies or clad in poodle skirts and saddle shoes. Scouring the racks of such places as Goodwill or a resale shop also gives money back to charitable causes through purchases made in those stores.
- Show team spirit. Dress up for Halloween and show some team spirit by using already owned sports wear as a Halloween costume. Transform little ones into “super fans” by dressing them in a team jersey or shirt and painting their face in team colors. Throw on a foam finger for fun and enjoy the evening!
- Tap those creative juices. The Internet is full of ideas of how one can make their Halloween costume with just a bit of creativity and some elbow grease. Some great resources for such ideas include Family Fun, Parenting Magazine and Martha Stewart.
- Purchase used. Is there a Halloween costume that is just too adorable to pass up, despite the hefty price tag it bears? Consider purchasing it used. EBay and CraigsList are both great places to find used costumes at reasonable prices. Also Dallas/Fort Worth boasts a large number of children’s consignment stores which carry Halloween costumes. Taking the time to call around or hunting the auctions on EBay might be just the way to nab that perfect costume at a good price.
Halloween costumes do not have to cost a pretty penny to look great. With some advance planning and a little research, inexpensive Halloween costumes are easy to find!
More Great Costume Ideas For Kids Activities Blog
You can make a simple, but cute, Paw Patrol costume.