Having fun isn’t always top priority as a parent. There is plenty of structure, rules and reasons. But, sometimes there is room for some fun. Sometimes, it is nice to loosen the reigns a bit and goof off.
Today we’re sharing lots of new ways you can try and be a fun mom. Inspired by, KC Edventures. If you missed her interview this morning, go check it out. This post contains affiliate links to help you find all the awesome things you’ll need to be a fun mom!
47 Ways YOU Can Be A Fun Mom!
- Do pranks together – your kids will love bringing some surprise to another person’s day.
- Make your kids laugh with a tickle fight, or one of the other 10 ideas on that page.
- A great post on how one mom became the fun police. We don’t always realize how much we hover over our children, trust them and take a tiny step back.
- Have a silly face contest – see who can have the wackiest face. Here are some face printables that will make your child giggle.
- Have a tickle war!! Or a smoochy-kiss chase! Chase each other around the house and when you catch the other person give them a big smoochy kiss!
- Take your kids out on a date and celebrate “family day”.
- Have a playground scavenger hunt. Use this list of things to find and do and travel around to new playgrounds to find them. This is a great adventure for the family.
- Make and share a milkshake, together – here is our peanut butter shake recipe. You can even blow bubbles in the cup! (Our secret shake-making weapon can be found here)
- Read a story, or ten, to your child. On a favorite book, put yourself or your child into the book, replace the name of one of the characters with your child’s name. (This one is our current favorite!)
- You can have a good time learning, too! Here are five really fun ways to teach science. Go outside on a hot day with a cup of water and learn about condensation!
- Make super spy pipe-cleaner disguises together and talk to each other in your “spy voices”.
- Play “edible pillow”. Your child is your “pillow” – they also happen to talk and laugh!
- Have a bubble “war” – make bubble shooters and blast each other with bubbles.
- Find an app and play *together* – my kids love teaching me their favorite games.
- And… turn off the devices, have a afternoon focused just on your child – here are great hands-free mama tips.
- Tell your kids a knock-knock joke.
- Give your kids a big canvas to paint on. Here are eight different ideas like throwing away the paper and try painting on an old fence, the windows (with window markers, of course) or the bath tub. (We always get our canvases here)
- Have a family slumber party. Everyone (even mom and dad) should bring their sleeping bags and camp out on the living room floor.
- Give your kids a piggy back ride… and if you are a dad, here are another 25 tips for connecting with your kids
- Have a paper airplane battle. Fold paper airplanes and try to throw them at each other.
- Go on a road-trip – for ice cream. Go on a meandering ride with your kids and stop for ice cream on the way home.
- Bake a cookie with your kids, but not just any cookie – make it a GIANT one!
- Take a moment every evening to tell your child how much you love them and talk about the fun things you did together – reflect on family time.
- Get washable markers and draw tattoos on each other.
- Have a song that is just for you and your child… be silly and dance to it (below is our “family song”) How a Dance Party is Done .DRC. from Justice Rising on Vimeo.
- Go on a picnic together – even if it is for breakfast!
- Fly a kite – even better if you take the time to build your kite together first!
- Color a picture together! Try to use silly colors that your child would not expect.
- Blow pom poms across the room with straws.
For the remaining ways to be a cool parent, including letting them do something daring or having breakfast outside in your pj’s, check out KC Adventures. Sometimes it’s good to think outside the box!