I love this easy flower craft because you can make big, colorful tissue paper flowers as decorations or to use in other art and craft projects. This flower craft is fun and easy for kids of all ages (and adults) and requires just a few supplies. We are making these beautiful tissue paper flowers to celebrate May 5, Cinco de Mayo, a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.
How to Make Flowers with Paper
Celebrate by learning how to make Mexican paper flowers! I wanted to share this tissue paper pom-pom flowers craft that you can make with your kids to add some color to your life this week.
Making flowers together has been a tradition at my house for celebrations. This can also be used to make spring flowers or decorations for a special occasion.
While we are making this for our Cinco de Mayo celebration, these are homemade flowers that can be made for any holiday or just because you want some colorful decoration in your home.
This article contains affiliate links.
Tissue Paper Flowers Craft
Supplies for Mexican Tissue Paper Flowers
Instructions for making Mexican Paper Flowers
Fold the tissue paper sheets in half or cut between 5-8 sheets into rectangles.
Then, fold the tissue paper pages like an accordion.
Staple them together in the middle.
Start pulling every single sheet up from one half (it doesn’t matter on what side you start) and then do the other half.
Each half will meet in the middle to create the crinkled flower look.
Finished Tissue Paper Flowers
The great thing about doing this craft with kids is that it doesn’t matter if their paper gets all crinkled and smashed.
It will still look like a flower at the end!
Make each one in different colors to make your Cinco de Mayo decorations colorful.
Using Mexican Flowers for Your Cinco de Mayo Celebration
Make several of them and attach them on some string to display it as flower garland.
Or, you can attach them to pipe cleaners, and display them in a vase.
However you use them, they will beautify your area!
Our Experience Making Paper Flower Decorations
This year for Cinco de Mayo, we are going to string these in our living room and make yummy Shredded Beef Tacos in crock pot. I don’t know if it’s just my kids, but my children love a “festive” meal, even small touches, like Cinco de Mayo decorations, get them excited.
Sometimes, I let them set the ambiance, and it’s interesting what they add as centerpieces. We’ve had pirate swords, legos, and candles set out before as table centerpieces by my boys.
This year we will have more Mexican flowers in the mix!
- 5-8 tissue paper sheets
- (optional) colored string
- (optional) pipe cleaner
- Fold the tissue paper sheets in half or cut between 5-8 sheets into rectangles.
- Fold the tissue paper sheets like an accordion and staple in the middle.
- Pull each sheet from the outside to the inside creating a crinkled flower look.
- Make stems with pipe cleaners or hang with colored string.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
- Check out these fun facts Cinco de Mayo for kids
- Download & print these festive Cinco de Mayo coloring pages
- Cinco de mayo pinata is the perfect way to add some fun to the celebration.
- Learn how to make Mexican metal art
- Check all the Cinco de mayo activities
More Flower Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- We have some really easy flowers you can make so simple you can use them as flower craft preschool.
- Make these lovely pipe cleaner flowers…bet you can’t make just one flower!
- A list of flowers for kids to make or make and eat. Yum!
- Make these gorgeous ribbon flowers.
- This flower printable is petal perfect!
- Create pretty egg carton flowers to make a festive wreath.
- Check out our pretty flower coloring pages.
- Learn how to make a flower drawing easy!
- And how to make a sunflower drawing.
- Don’t miss out on all these lovely flower crafts for kids.
How did your paper flowers turn out?