These paper lantern craft ideas are so colorful and fun. Each of these fun ideas start with an inexpensive paper lantern and with a little craftiness ends up to be a unique and awesome decoration you can hang at home, use for a party or surprise someone with a lovely and unexpected gift. Kids of all ages can participate in the paper lantern fun!
This article contains affiliate links.
Paper LAntern Crafts We Love
These floating spheres make for beautiful room decorations and there are so many cute ways to use them.
Related: Make your own paper lantern
Paper lanterns <–Click to buy | are inexpensive and available in a variety of colors and sizes, so you can even make a several of the same craft for more fun.
1. Kissing Fish Craft Made from Paper Lanterns
Make eyes, heart shaped puckered lips, and fins, and add different colored lanterns for the prettiest floating fish.
2. DIY Paper Lantern Octopus Idea
Continue the under the sea theme, compress the lanterns slightly, and add streamers and ribbons to the bottom to make hanging jellyfish.
3. Intact Paper Lantern Octopus Craft Idea
These purple lanterns turned into octopi are just adorable. Cut outs of legs and tentacles and eyes are all it takes.
4. Make a Paper Lantern Owl
More paper accents easily turn paper lanterns into owls, just add eyes, a beak, and wings. Wouldn’t they perfect in a woodland themed nursery or bedroom?
5. Paper Lantern Mickey Mouse Head You Can Make
Red and yellow accents on black lanterns make simple Mickey Mouse shaped heads. Just cut circles for ears and Mickey shaped oval buttons.
6. Paper Lantern Mickey Mouse Full Body Craft
Or mix and match red and black lanterns together and add yellow shoes for a Mickey Mouse silhouette.
7. Make Minions from Paper Lanterns!
Black and white construction paper to make goggles and eyeballs, paired with yellow paper lanterns, make the cutest Minions! They’d be perfect for a Minion themed birthday party too.
8. Paper Lantern Hot Air Balloons DIY
Instead of suspending the the paper lanterns from the ceiling, attach them to baskets with thin dowels to turn them into hot air balloons. Or use string and the baskets will hang for floating balloons.
More Paper Crafts & Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- Make a simple paper fan with just a piece of paper or two.
- Paper plate crafts are a Kids Activities Blog favorite craft idea!
- We have the best list of easy paper plate animals kids can make!
- Making paper flowers is way easier than you expect.
- Paper mache is easy and fun when you use these simple tutorial.
- We have the scoop on how to make a puppet from a paper bag!
- This paper weaving craft for kids is traditional, easy and creative fun.
- Make a paper airplane!
- Fold this origami heart.
- Don’t miss our adorable, free and printable paper dolls.
Which paper lantern craft are you trying first?