How to Make Easy Ribbon Flowers
Making ribbon flowers is easier than it looks and is a fun activity for kids of all ages with just a few supplies. What I like about this easy ribbon craft is that the possibilities are endless and you can use your ribbon flowers for other crafts or for decoration. Make ribbon flowers at home or in the classroom!
DIY Ribbon Flowers
Let’s make super easy ribbon flowers today! Another benefit to this simple ribbon craft is that choosing a different color/pattern of ribbon can completely change the look of the ribbon flower even though the easy technique is the same.
This article includes affiliate links and the ribbon shown in the images of this post were a gift from from Hairbow Supplies Etc.
How to Make Ribbon Flowers
According to my seven-year old, this technique for making ribbon flowers is the easiest ribbon flower you can make. I will take that as an endorsement of this simple ribbon flower technique!
Supplies Needed to Make Ribbon Flowers
- Ribbon (see below for our ribbon recommendations)
- (Optional) Embellishments like rhinestones, lace or pearls to add to the ribbon flower
How Much Ribbon do I Need to Make a Ribbon Flower?
You will need roughly 1 foot of ribbon for each flower, less for a smaller flower (more if your ribbon is thick).
Steps to Make Easy Ribbon Flowers
Step 1 – Loose Stitch Edge of Ribbon
Using your needle and thread, sew along one edge of the ribbon with a very loose stitch.
Step 2 – Gather the Ribbon
Next, pull the strings to gather the ribbon into bunches.
Step 3 – Rotate into Flower Shape
Swirl the ribbon until it makes a “flower”.
Step 4 – Secure Ribbon Flower
We knotted the strings together after the flower was formed, then hot glued the flower to a “backing” to keep it in a “flower” shape.
Finished Ribbon Flowers
There are so many things you can do and make with your finished ribbon flower! Here are a few of our favorite things…
- Easy Ribbon Craft: Attach the flower to a hair clip with glue.
- Medium Ribbon Craft: You can use your ribbon flowers to mix and match on our easy DIY headband. It is the CUTEST!!! You can make this headband and then easily swap out the flowers and is perfect for the girl who changes her mind!
- Easy Ribbon Display Idea: Display all your ribbon flowers by creating a hair bow display and attaching them so everyone can see!
Easy Ribbon Flowers
This is the easiest way to make ribbon flowers. Even though this ribbon flower making technique is very simple it will result in a huge variety of ribbon flowers...each one different in its own way. Kids of all ages will love this simple ribbon flower craft and using the ribbon flowers they make in fun and inventive ways.
- 1 Foot (12 inches) of Ribbon (less for a smaller flower & more if your ribbon is thick)
- (Optional) Embellishments like rhinestones, lace and pearls
- (Optional) Glue gun with glue
- With a threaded needle, make loose stitches along one side of the 12 inch ribbon piece and cut generous thread at needle end when completed.
- Pull on the loose thread ends bunching the ribbon along the loose stitch seam until gathered equally.
- Hold onto one end of the gathered ribbon piece and rotate or twist the ribbon around and around in a circular direction until you have created a flower shape.
- Knot the ends of the thread together to secure ribbon flower shape.
- (Optional) Reinforce the bottom of the flower and knot with hot glue.
Recommended supplies for Ribbon Flower Crafts
Each ribbon flower will take on an entirely different appearance based on the ribbon colors, ribbon fabric, ribbon width, how tightly you gather the ribbon, how tightly you twist the flower, how you secure the ribbon flower and what embellishments you use for decorations. I love using ribbon scraps or purchasing a ribbon kit that has a lot of ribbon choices:
Ribbons Perfect for Making Ribbon Flowers
- Simple, solid ribbon set colors in blue, green, rose, yellow, pink, mustard, light pink, nude, light blue and orange
- Check out this ribbon set with pattern assortment that has daisies, butterflies, roses and more
- This fringe fabric chiffon silk-like ribbon makes the coolest fringy ribbon flowers
Embellishments Perfect for Making Ribbon Flowers
- Silver diamond flower shape rhinestones in a roll – can be cut into sizes needed for embellishments
- Colorful daisy flower lace trim that can be cut into individual daisy embellishments
- Rose pearl string beads garland – cut and glue pieces needed
Finished Ribbon Flowers You Can Buy
If you would prefer to buy ribbon flowers instead of make them, we found these really cute options that aren’t very expensive:
- Satin ribbon roses in a variety of colors – 200 piece set
- Satin ribbon flowers in 26 colors with rhinestone appliques
- Organza ribbon flowers set with 40 pieces including embellished center
- Mini ribbon flower appliques embellishments set with 20 pieces – ribbon flowers with green leaves and rhinestones
More Flower Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Grab these really creative zentangle flowers that you can add any flower color to!
- Craft these colorful and gorgeous Mexican paper flowers for any season!
- Make these pretty flowers which is one of many really fun water bottle painting ideas
- Craft these easy pipe cleaner flowers and make a huge bouquet!
- Looking for a way how to make easy flower? We have the cutest idea for flower making…
- And absolutely don’t miss our 14 original flower coloring pages which is just plain flower power fun!
How did your ribbon flowers turn out? Did you make a 100 ribbon flowers because it was so easy & fun?
Dying to see the hairband tutorial! I need some new accessories for my hair 🙂
These are so pretty! Can’t wait to show my daughter!!!
Thank you! I needed that!
These are just too sweet and look so easy!
Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up with us at Tell Me About It Tuesday! I hope you hop over again next week.
Gorgeous!! Would love if you shared at Link It Or Lump It Party http://www.sohosonnet.com/link-it-or-lump-it/link-it-or-lump-it-link-party-28/
What a great tutorial!!! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase! I’m pinning this one to our talent board!
I Love all of these things that you send me, they are so helpful. God bless you and keep then coming ???
We are so glad that you are enjoying it, Clara! Thank you for your message!