How to Draw a Bird – Easy Printable Instructions
Kids can learn to draw a bird using basic shapes with our simple printable step-by-step bird drawing lesson. Kids of all ages can start practicing their bird drawing skills in just a few minutes with a piece of paper, pencil and eraser. This easy bird drawing guide can be used at home or in the classroom. Let’s get started drawing birds!
Make an Easy Bird Drawing
Let’s learn how to draw a bird! Follow these easy 8 steps and you and your children will be able to draw a bird (or many birds) in a matter of minutes with this printable drawing lesson. Click the blue button to download:
Kids of all ages will enjoy an afternoon filled with drawing fun with this 3-page easy how to draw a bird tutorial that features a cute bird that could be modified and colored with different colors like your favorite bird species: blue jay, robin, finch, goldfinch and more.Whether your young one is a beginner or an experienced artist, learning how to draw a simple bird will keep them entertained for a while.
Easy Steps to Draw a Bird
The first step is to start by drawing a large circle that will become the major part of the shape of the bird including the bird’s head and bird’s body.
On the bottom right part add a curved cone: pretend you’re drawing a mango! These initial lines will make up the bird’s tail eventually.
Erase extra lines and draw a small circle inside. The circular shapes are stacked because the new shape is adding more to the form of the bird.
Add another smaller “mango” but make it pointier – this simple line will be our bird’s wing!
To make the thin legs and feet, draw two straight lines and then add three smaller lines to each one.
Add three smaller circles to make the eye near the top of the head, fill in the middle circle with a dark color.
Draw the beak by adding two rounded tips in the shape of the beak.
You’re all done with the basic bird anatomy! Color it with bright colors and add details.
Make a Cartoon Bird
To make a more cartoon bird, keep the bird’s shape simple and have a lot of fun by decorating the different body parts with bright colors adding silly finishing touches like having your bird holding a flower or a purse in his beak or wearing a hat – it’s up to you.
Make a Realistic Bird
A traditional bird will have a more detailed look with the addition of small features, customizing the head of the bird and the bird’s tail with details consistent with the types of birds. Grab some reference images to follow feather patterns and color combinations.
Download the Printable Steps To Your Own Bird Drawing Here
I recommend printing these instructions because even with easy drawings, it is more fun to follow each step with a visual example.
This post contains affiliate links.
More easy drawing tutorials
- How to draw a shark easy tutorial for kids who are obsessed with sharks!
- Let’s learn how to draw a flower with simple step by step instructions.
- You can how to draw a tree with this easy tutorial.
- And my favorite – how to draw a butterfly.
Our Favorite Drawing Supplies
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
- Don’t forget a pencil sharpener.
More Bird Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- This bald eagle zentangle coloring page is great for kids and adults.
- Make this simple DIY hummingbird feeder
- This paper plate bird craft is super easy and inexpensive to make.
- Free bird themed crossword puzzle for kids
- Download & print these bird coloring pages for kids
- Make a pine cone bird feeder
- Make a hummingbird feeder
- Check out our big list of homemade bird feeders
How did your bird drawing turn out?