We have a how to draw a bird tutorial today! Kids can learn to draw a bird using basic shapes with our simple printable step-by-step bird drawing lesson. Kids of all ages can start practicing their bird drawing skills in just a few minutes with a piece of paper, pencil and eraser. This easy bird drawing guide can be used at home or in the classroom. Let’s get started drawing birds!
Make an Easy Bird Drawing
Let’s learn how to draw a bird! Follow these easy 8 steps and you and your children will be able to draw a bird (or many birds) in a matter of minutes with this printable drawing lesson. Click the blue button to download:
Kids of all ages will enjoy an afternoon filled with drawing fun with this 3-page easy how to draw a bird tutorial that features a cute bird that could be modified and colored with different colors like your favorite bird species: blue jay, robin, finch, goldfinch and more.Whether your young one is a beginner or an experienced artist, learning how to draw a simple bird will keep them entertained for a while.
Related: Easy Paper Plate Bird Craft with Movable Wings
Easy Steps to Draw a Bird
The first step is to start by drawing a large circle that will become the major part of the shape of the bird including the bird’s head and bird’s body.
On the bottom right part add a curved cone: pretend you’re drawing a mango! These initial lines will make up the bird’s tail eventually.
Erase extra lines and draw a small circle inside. The circular shapes are stacked because the new shape is adding more to the form of the bird.
Add another smaller “mango” but make it pointier – this simple line will be our bird’s wing!
To make the thin legs and feet, draw two straight lines and then add three smaller lines to each one.
Add three smaller circles to make the eye near the top of the head, fill in the middle circle with a dark color.
Draw the beak by adding two rounded tips in the shape of the beak.
You’re all done with the basic bird anatomy! Color it with bright colors and add details.
Make a Cartoon Bird
To make a more cartoon bird, keep the bird’s shape simple and have a lot of fun by decorating the different body parts with bright colors adding silly finishing touches like having your bird holding a flower or a purse in his beak or wearing a hat – it’s up to you.
Make a Realistic Bird
A traditional bird will have a more detailed look with the addition of small features, customizing the head of the bird and the bird’s tail with details consistent with the types of birds. Grab some reference images to follow feather patterns and color combinations.
Download Simple Bird Drawing Lesson PDF File
I recommend printing these instructions because even with easy drawings, it is more fun to follow each step with a visual example.
This post contains affiliate links.
More Easy Drawing Lessons For Kids
- How to draw a leaf – use this step-by-step instruction set for making your own beautiful leaf drawing
- How to draw an elephant – this is an easy tutorial on drawing a flower
- How to draw Pikachu – OK, this is one of my favorites! Make your own easy Pikachu drawing
- How to draw a panda – Make your own cute pig drawing by following these instructions
- How to draw a turkey – kids can make their own tree drawing by following along these printable steps
- How to draw Sonic the Hedgehog – simple steps to making a Sonic the Hedgehog drawing
- How to draw a fox – make a beautiful fox drawing with this drawing tutorial
- How to draw a turtle– easy steps for making a turtle drawing
- See all of our printable tutorials on how to draw <–by clicking here!
Our Favorite Drawing Supplies
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- You will need an eraser!
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
- Don’t forget a pencil sharpener.
You can find LOADS of super fun coloring pages for kids & adults here. Have fun!
Great Books For More Drawing Fun
The Big Drawing Book
By following the very simple step-by-steps in this fun drawing book you can draw dolphins diving in the sea, knights guarding a castle, monster faces, buzzing bees, and lots, lots more.
Drawing Doodling and Coloring
An excellent book filled with doodling, drawing and coloring activities. On some of the pages you’ll find ideas for what to do, but you can do whatever you like.
Write and Draw Your Own Comics
Write and Draw Your Own Comics is full of inspiring ideas for all kinds of different stories, with writing tips to help you on your way. for kids who want to tell stories, but gravitate toward pictures. It has a mix of partially-drawn comics and blank panels with intro comics as instructions – lots of space for kids to draw their own comics!
More Bird Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- This bald eagle zentangle coloring page is great for kids and adults.
- Make this simple DIY hummingbird feeder
- This paper plate bird craft is super easy and inexpensive to make.
- Free bird themed crossword puzzle for kids
- Download & print these bird coloring pages for kids
- Make a pine cone bird feeder
- Make a hummingbird feeder
- Check out our big list of homemade bird feeders
- Here is a fun cardboard blue bird craft!
More Drawing Lessons from Kids Activities Blog
Learn how to draw a wolf with this easy printable lesson!
How did your bird drawing turn out?