Day of the dead masks, also known as Calavera masks, are fun to make and it is a part of the Day of the dead holiday traditions. Let’s make this easy Day of the Dead craft using paper plates which are available to almost all of us.
Supplies Needed for Making the Day of the Dead Masks:
- Paper plates
- Hole punch
- Ribbon or elastic or craft sticks
- Craft knife
- Day of the dead skull outline printable template
Download our printable template here:
Instructions on How to Make Dia de los Muertos Mask
Print the skull template and cut the outline, eyes, and nose using scissors and a craft knife.
Trace the outline of the skull and also the circles for the eyes and heart shape for nose on a paper plate.
Make as many skull masks as you’d like with the paper plates and keep them aside until you’re ready to decorate. Use a black marker to add different patterns around the eyes and for the teeth portion of the masks.
Now take the rhinestones and glue to decorate your day of the dead masks. You can also use self-adhesive rhinestones if you planning to do this activity with younger kids.
Allow the glue to dry. Cut the eyes and nose parts using a craft knife of the Dia de Los Muertos masks. You could also do this beforehand.
If you don’t want to use rhinestones, you can create this beautiful Calavera masks just by using markers. Draw some basic flowers, leaves, and flourish patterns all around and ask kids to color them to complete the masks.
Also, if your kids love coloring, check these sugar skull coloring pages for kids.
Add holes on either side of the paper plate masks and then attach elastic or ribbon to the holes so you can wear the masks. Or you could just glue a craft stick to use it as a photo prop on the Day of the Dead party. Now your Day of the Dead masks are ready.
Other Masks Crafts You Might Like:
- Kids will have fun making these paper plate masks
- If your kids love superheroes then they will love this spiderman paper mask
- Do your kids enjoy watching a clown? Make this paper plate clown
- Try these printable easy animal masks inspired by Dolittle.
- Make these kids Halloween masks includes a printable
- This personalized Etsy lanyard is what you need to buy for your kids now.
- Have a paw patrol fan at home? Try these paw patrol masks
- Celebrate Mardi gras with this printable Mardi Gras masks
- Daniel tiger mask will help you teach kids about wearing masks.