Wondering what papel picado (“perforated paper”) is? It is a traditional Mexican folk art that involves cutting intricate patterns on colorful tissue paper. This colorful banner is used to decorate altars which is part of their Day of the dead holiday traditions. Learn how to make papel picado with tissue paper using this simple method.
(Contains affiliate links.)
Supplies Needed for Making Papel Picado
Traditionally, papel picado is made using a chisel and a mallet, but you can make them with these simple supplies:
Colorful tissue paper
Decorative paper edge scissors (Optional)
Binder clip or clothespin (Optional)
How to Make Papel Picado
Measure the tissue paper 5″ in height and 7″ in width and cut several of them with the same measurements. I used around 8 layers of tissue paper.
Fold the tissue paper in half and then fold once more in half. Use a ballpoint pen to draw your design at the folded edges. This will give you the design in four directions. If you want them in eight directions fold them again as shown in step 2 of the picture below and then draw the design to cut.
When you are starting, try to make the designs with basic shapes like: circles, ovals, squares, long rectangles, hearts, diamonds, etc. Remember you have to draw the shape in half at the folded edges so you will have the full shape when you unfold it.
Ways to Make Day of the Dead (Dia De Los Muertos) Banner
I will show you how I made the flower design using a half circle and a half petal shape. You can use a clothespin or binder clip to hold the tissue paper while folding and cutting.
1.Measure and cut the tissue paper in the measurements you desire.
2.After folding, draw the design using a ballpoint pen at the folded edges.
3.Cut the design using scissors. Make sure you have sharp scissors to cut through all the layers of tissue paper.
4. Unfold it to see the design you created. Add any additional designs if desired.
5. Fold the tissue paper in half and then use a hole punch to create a border for the banner.
6. The banner is done with a beautiful flower design in the center.
Simple Dia De Los Muertos Banner
Another example to make the banner is using a heart shape, hole punch, and decorative edge scissors.
To create a design on the corners, you have to fold a small part of the tissue paper, draw the design, and then cut .
For this banner, I used decorative edge scissors to give a design edge to the banner.
Make more designs using different color tissue paper to decorate both indoors and outdoors on the Day of the Dead or any special occasion.
To string them, fold 1/8″ of the tissue paper banner pieces over the cord and secure it with a piece of clear tape at the edges and in the middle. The banner is now done.
If you are planning to make this craft, what color and designs will you make? Tell me in the comments below. Share pictures of your finished crafts with us in our social media. We would love to see your creations!
Other craft ideas you might like:
- Have a barbie fan at home? Check this day of the dead barbie
- Try this DIY marigold flowers to decorate your altars
- Take your crayons to color Sugar skull coloring pages for kids
- Check these free banner printables collection before you buy a banner for your next party.
- Got too many Christmas supplies? Try this field day banner ideas
- Make your own flowers bouquet with these construction paper flowers
- Learn how to make Mexican paper flowers
- Try this Mexican paper plates pinata for your next party
- Learn how to make a paper train
- You don’t want to miss these paper lantern crafts
- This paper weaving craft is so much fun.
- So Many possibilities using these paper boxes crafts
- This paper plate watermelon is so cute.