Mexican marigolds play a big role in the Day of the dead holiday traditions. Learn how to make DIY Marigold (Cempazuchitl in Spanish) flowers which are believed to guide spirits of departed loved ones with their vibrant colors.
Supplies For Making DIY Marigold
This simple and beautiful craft requires very limited supplies and they are:
- Tissue paper in orange and yellow
- Pipe cleaners
- Pinking shears (optional)
How To Make Tissue Paper Flowers For The Day Of The Dead
Take six sheets of tissue papers (orange or yellow), measure 4″ in width and 9″ in length, and cut them using scissors.
Fold them in an accordion-style lengthwise and secure it in the center (2″ mark) with a piece of pipe cleaner.
Fan it out and carefully pull a single sheet of paper to the center on both sides, one after the other, until you run out of paper to create this Marigold tissue paper flower.
Alternate Ways To Make Paper DIY Marigold(Cempazuchitl- Mexican Marigold)
I tried two more styles to achieve different looks of the DIY marigold flowers. This is totally optional but I felt it was so worth it.
Use pinking shears to create a zig zag edge to the sides of the tissue paper before making the accordion fold. Repeat the same steps as before to make the tissue paper flowers.
Another trick is to use scissors and add small slits at both edges before doing the accordion fold.
Now it is your turn to choose which one you like better for your decor. These DIY marigold flowers are so forgiving that even if you make any mistakes, it still looks so good. Anyone can make this craft from kids to adults.
I would suggest going with a bigger size (for example 6″ to 8″ for width) if you are planning to make this craft with little kids. Check out these sugar skull coloring pages for kids to add to your Day of the dead kid’s activities. Have a barbie fan at home? Check this Day of the dead barbie
Make a lot of them and string them as garland to decorate your altars or just arrange them in the design you desire.
Let us know which DIY marigold technique you will be making to decorate for this Day of the Dead in the comments below.
Other flower crafts you might like:
- Make a construction paper flower bouquet.
- Have you wondered How to make Mexican paper flower? Check this
- Try this egg carton wreath.
- Adults! Have a relaxing time coloring this zentangle rose.
- Make your own flowers using this flower craft template.
- Try this bottle flower painting using water bottles.
- Love flowers? You might like these flowers Zentangle too.
- Make this cute cupcake liner flower craft.
- This is How to make a flower from pipe cleaners.
- Check out these flower crafts for preschoolers.
- Make this easy flower craft.
- Try April showers bring May flowers craft.
- These Zentangle flowers patterns are too cute .
- These spring flowers coloring pages will make you feel refreshed.