Let’s make the prettiest butterfly collage using sticks and flowers! This easy butterfly arts and crafts project is great for kids of all ages and works well in the classroom or at home. We originally created this butterfly collage as an Earth Day craft, but it works really well any day because it uses just a few simple craft supplies and starts with a nature walk.
Easy Butterfly Nature Collage Craft for Kids
Our butterfly collage craft starts with a nature walk and then use items in nature such as leaves, flowers, and sticks to make a pretty butterfly collage craft with your kids.
Related: More easy butterfly craft ideas for kids
This is one of our favorite Earth Day craft ideas. It also works well as a spring craft or an outdoor craft for kids.
This article contains affiliate links.
How to Make a butterfly collage Craft
Supplies Needed to Make a Butterfly Collage from Found Objects
- Flowers, seeds, sticks, bark, leaves etc.
- Colored Construction Paper – We used blue construction paper
- Scissors or preschool training scissors
Instructions for making a butterfly collage
This was an extremely easy activity. On our nature hike, we gathered up sticks and flowers. When we got back to the house, we made the butterfly.
Related: Nature scavenger hunt for kids
Place a wider stick or piece of bark in the center of the paper. Break smaller twigs or sticks and put them into the shape of a butterfly. Have your child pick up each piece one, one at a time, put glue along the bottom, and then put them back into place.
Put glue inside the stick butterfly. Add petals and the center of the flower inside the butterflies wings to add color to them.
Our Finished Butterfly Collage
Keep in mind, this beautiful butterfly will not stay pretty forever, because it is made of leaves, flowers, and twigs. This nature craft is the perfect way to celebrate Earth Day.
Our Experience Making a Butterfly Collage Craft
Earth Day is coming up and Rory and I have decided to make a few earthy crafts for the next few weeks.
One thing we do, almost on a daily basis, is going on a nature walk. Our nature walks range anywhere from our own back yard, picking out colors of flowers and watching squirrels, to going on a trail and picking up sticks (which we haven’t done in a while because of snakes!).
Whatever we choose to do we have fun looking at nature, picking out colors, and talking about anything and everything we see outside!
While we have been going on these nature hikes we have noticed the butterflies. It was so cute to see Rory’s face when she first saw them; she looked at me like…
…these really do exist!
So I thought it would be fun if we could make butterflies with things in nature things we found in the yard.
Preschool Butterfly Craft
And this craft worked really well for her preschool level and I can see making it with both younger and older kids. We especially love this as a preschool letter craft.
- Items from nature - sticks, flowers, bark, leaves
- Collect items in nature that you can use to make your butterfly.
- Place a piece of bark or a thicker stick in the center of the paper.
- Break smaller twigs to make the outline of the butterfly.
- Once assembled, glue each piece into place.
- Put glue inside the butterfly and use flowers petals or leaves to add color to the wings.
More nature crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- Pine cone crafts
- 20 crafts made from nature
- 16 fall nature crafts for preschoolers
- Woodland pinecone fairy nature craft
- 30 fun leaf crafts for kids
- Drawing with nature
- Butterfly coloring pages and more butterfly coloring pages!
- Check out these nature coloring pages!
- Easy Mosaic Art for Kids: Make a Rainbow Craft from a Paper Plate!
- Make an Easy DIY Butterfly Feeder & Butterfly Food Recipe
How did your butterfly collage craft turn out? Did you use this as an Earth Day craft or an every day craft?