Today we are making a paper plate rainbow craft with a simple mosaic technique. Making a paper mosaic is a fun rainbow craft for kids of all ages including younger kids (when you do a little prep work). This easy mosaic art technique uses paper mosaic tiles and could have a million uses in the classroom and at home and the resulting rainbow art is really cool.
Paper Mosaic Rainbow Craft for Kids
Rainbow crafts are one of my favorite things to make. I love rainbows and with the colors being so bright and pretty, it’s hard not to smile when you see them!
Mosaics are a fun way to teach kids about patterns and rainbows are ideal for teaching colors. You can make two rainbows from one paper plate.
Easy Mosaic Art for Kids
mosaic, in art, decoration of a surface with designs made up of closely set, usually variously coloured, small pieces of material such as stone, mineral, glass, tile, or shell.
Today we are exploring mosaics with paper mosaic pieces because it is easier to work with and can be created with colorful patterned paper you may already have in your scrapbook drawer.
This article contains affiliate links.
Easy Paper Plate Rainbow Craft
Supplies Needed to Make Paper Plate Rainbow Craft
- White paper plate
- Variety of scrapbook paper: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple
- Scissors or preschool training scissors
- Glue stick or white craft glue
Directions for Mosaic Paper Plate Rainbow Craft
Watch the Quick Video Tutorial How to Make a Mosaic Rainbow from a Paper Plate
Cut the paper plate in half and cut all but 1-inch of the center out creating a rainbow arch using the outside of the paper plate as the exterior part of the rainbow.
Cut scrapbook paper into small squares. We like to use patterned paper, but you could also just create the squares for the mosaic with construction paper or solid colored paper.
Glue red squares around the outer edge.
Glue orange squares under the red squares.
Following this same pattern, glue squares down the rainbow: yellow, green, blue, purple.
- white paper plate
- colorful variety of paper - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple
- Cut the paper plate in 1/2 and cut out a 1/2 circle from the middle to create an arch with the remaining paper plate.
- Cut scrapbook paper into 1 inch squares or use a square punch.
- Glue the paper squares in lines creating bands of color like a rainbow.
More Rainbow Crafts and Activities For Kids
- Need more rainbow craft ideas? We have collected 20 fun ideas that are perfect for rainbow art preschool.
- Learn how to draw a rainbow with this printable tutorial to make your own rainbow drawing.
- What fun! Let’s color this rainbow coloring page…you will need all your crayons!
- Check out this printable rainbow facts sheet for kids.
- Let’s throw a rainbow party!
- Check out this fun rainbow hidden pictures puzzle.
- Let’s make easy rainbow pasta for dinner.
- These are super cute unicorn rainbow coloring pages.
- You can color by number rainbows too!
- What a pretty rainbow fish coloring page.
- Here is a rainbow dot to dot.
- Make your own rainbow jigsaw puzzle.
- And check out this cool way to learn the rainbow colors in order.
- Let’s make rainbow slime!
- Make rainbow cereal art.
- Craft this lovely yarn rainbow.
- Make a LEGO rainbow! <–that is a rainbow mosaic too!
- Check out these great easy toddler crafts!
- Don’t miss out on these great art lessons for kids!
- or iff your child can’t get enough of paper plates, here are 140 paper plate crafts!
- Need some ideas on how to display your kids art? Click here!
How did your paper plate mosaic rainbow craft turn out?