Today we are making a rainbow out of yarn for the prettiest and most colorful yarn art idea for kids of all ages. Even younger kids like preschooler and Kindergartners will love this easy art project.
This also makes a great St. Patrick’s Day craft for preschool or Kindergarten. Kids can celebrate with this adorable decoupage rainbow yarn art project!
This article contains affiliate links.
Rainbow Yarn Art Project for Kids
This fun activity is perfect for teaching children the colors of the rainbow, or for letting them explore their imagination by arranging the colors of yarn in new and different ways!
Supplies Needed to Make a Decoupage Rainbow
- Yarn (in the colors of the rainbow! We used red, blue, green, yellow, orange, and pink)
- Card stock
- Cotton Balls
- Small Bowl
- Scissors or preschool training scissors
- Decoupage glue or homemade decoupage mixture (see recipe below)
Homemade Decoupage Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Cold Water
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Boiling Water
Instructions How to Make a Decoupage Rainbow Craft
Step 1 – Grab or Make Decoupage Glue
If you are making decoupage, in a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and cold water. Add the boiling water and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature — this is the decoupage glue!
Or grab your store bought easy alternative!
Step 2 – Prepare Your Sky Background
Meanwhile, trace half of the small bowl onto your cardstock. This will be the outline of your rainbow. Cut the yarn to fit along the arch on your cardstock. We used two pieces of each color for our rainbow.
Step 3 – Craft Your Rainbow from Yarn
- Once the glue has cooled, add the yarn to it and coat it completely.
- Remove each piece and run your fingers down it to wipe off the excess glue.
- Press the yarn onto the cardstock, following the outline of the rainbow.
- Each arc of the rainbow will get smaller, so you’ll have leftover yarn at one side of the rainbow. That is ok — just snip off the ends of the yarn to match the other side.
Step 4 – Make Fluffy Cotton Ball Clouds
Stretch a cotton ball to make it look like clouds. Then dip one side into the glue and press onto the ends of the rainbow.
Allow to dry overnight, then display!
More Rainbow Crafts & Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Check out these colorful preschool rainbow crafts for kids
- Love, love, love this free printable rainbow coloring page.
- Have you seen the American girl doll with rainbow hair?
- This rainbow pasta is one of my family’s favorites!
- Rainbow loom…need I say more? This is awesome!
- And don’t forget the rainbow loom charms…these are our favorites!
- Oh so many rainbow printable crafts and more fun rainbow ideas.
- We love these facts about rainbows and you can print them off to hang at home or use in the classroom.
- Let’s learn how to draw a rainbow!
- Download and print these rainbow fish coloring page ideas!
- Oh how sweet…unicorn rainbow coloring pages! Let’s grab our colored pencils…
How did your decoupage rainbow yarn art turn out?