Edible playdough is so much fun! We have collected the top homemade edible play dough recipes that are quick and easy to make at home and give you peace of mind with small children while older kids love playing with edible playdough because it is fun!
These taste-safe playdough recipes are perfect for kids to learn through multiple senses as they play. These cover the sense of touch, smell, taste and sight all at the same time!
Our edible playdough recipes, homemade play dough, slime and more was so popular on Kids Activities Blog that we wrote the book, 101 Kids Activities that are the Ooey, Gooey-est Ever!: Nonstop Fun with DIY Slimes, Doughs and Moldables. <–see below for more information!
Edible Playdough Recipes for Kids
You are not alone in your search for non-toxic playdough recipes! And edible playdough recipes are the perfect solution for homemade playdough play with small children (with supervision, of course).
What Is Edible Play Dough?
We’ve included a simple recipe for play dough you can eat, along with a video to show just how your edible playdough should look when you make it. In our minds, edible playdough needs to be made with food ingredients and not just “taste-safe” meaning salt dough and those types of homemade play doughs don’t qualify.
We feel like non-toxic and edible are quite different things. I think that is echoed by the original play dough, Play Doh:
The exact ingredients of Play-Doh Classic Compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. Play-Doh Classic Compound is not a food item…Play-Doh is not intended to be eaten.Play-Doh Website
OK, let’s move on to some truly edible play dough recipes! You may have suspected this, but edible play dough is one of our most popular requests here at Kids Activities Blog.
This article contains affiliate links.
How to Make Edible Playdough
There are a million edible playdough recipes (see below for our top 15), but our very favorite edible play dough recipe is something that you may not have made before and it uses ingredients you may already have in your kitchen…
Our Best Edible Playdough Recipe
Ingredients Needed to Make our favorite edible play dough Recipe
- 8 oz tub of whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions For Making Edible Play Dough
- Scoop the whipped topping into a large bowl.
- Carefully fold the cornstarch into the topping until it is crumbly. We used a spatula to fold it together.
- Drizzle the lumps of edible playdough with the olive oil.
- Use your hands to work the dough together until it forms a ball.
Now it’s ready for play!
One Minute Edible Playdough Tutorial Video
Watch our one-minute edible playdough video to see how easy it is to make this taste-safe recipe!
While we can appreciate a good basic recipe, we know kids love getting to explore different flavors, ingredients, and fun textures!
So we put together a list of taste-safe play dough recipes you can eat.
They are seriously fun.
Top Edible Play Dough Recipes
- Play Dough Birthday Cake – This colorful and yummy edible playdough is a fan favorite in our Facebook community because it tastes just like birthday cake.
- Peppermint Patty Dough – Make a peppermint dough and a dark chocolate dough and combine them for this delicious recipe.
- Candy Dough – Do you have extra Peeps from Easter? Turn them into playdough!
- Peanut Butter Dough – Mix marshmallows and peanut butter and let your kids explore the fun texture.
- Nutella Dough – Who doesn’t love Nutella? If your kids are crazy about this stuff, let them play with it! From Still Playing School.
- Oatmeal Dough – Mix your kids favorite oatmeal with flour and water for a toddler perfect dough. From The Life of Jennifer Dawn.
- Peanut Butter and Honey Dough – Those two ingredients make a fantastic edible playdough. From The Imagination Tree.
- Allergy-Free Dough – Have a kid with a food allergy? No worries, this edible playdough is perfect for them! From Look We’re Learning
- Marshmallow Dough – Marshmallows and peanut butter are the only two ingredients you need for this super yummy edible play dough. From Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails.
- Pumpkin Spice Dough – Here’s a fun recipe to try in the fall or whenever you need a pumpkin fix! From Housing A Forest.
- Almond Dough – If you’re more of an almond butter fan rather than peanut butter, this one is for you. From Craftulate.
- Gluten Free Dough – For the kids with gluten allergies, this is great for them so they can still participate! From Wildflower Ramblings.
- Chocolate Dough – For the chocolate lovers! This is fun to try at snack time. From The Life of Jennifer Dawn.
- Vanilla Dough – If you’re more of a vanilla fan, try this playdough made from cake frosting. From Smart Schoolhouse.
- Kool-Aid Dough – Grab your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid and mix it with just a few other ingredients for this sweet play dough. From The 36th Avenue
Homemade Play Dough and Slime Activities
If your kids love making play dough, slime, and other moldables at home, you have to check out our book, 101 Kids Activities that are the Ooey, Gooey-est Ever!: Nonstop Fun with DIY Slimes, Doughs and Moldables.
This huge resource even includes recipes you can eat like Gummy Worm Slime, Pudding Slime and Cookie Dough Dough. With 101 Kids Activities (that are also super easy to clean up), you can try them all!
Edible Kids Crafts and Recipes
For even more taste-safe playdough recipes and activities, we adore the book, Awesome Edible Kids Crafts: 75 Super-Fun All-Natural Projects for Kids to Make and Eat.
The only thing better than enjoying a tasty treat after a good crafting session is when the craft you make doubles as the treat! From marshmallow playdough to birthday cake playdough, there are tons of edible slimes and play recipes in the pages of Awesome Edible Kids Crafts.
More Homemade Playdough from Kids Activities Blog
- This mega list of homemade playdough recipes will keep your kids busy for hours.
- Make dinner fun with our play doh spaghetti recipe.
- Here are a dozen more recipes for homemade playdough.
- Play doh with conditioner is super soft!
- These are some of our favorite easy homemade playdough recipes!
- Running out of play doh ideas? Here are some fun things to make!
- Get ready for fall with some scented playdough recipes.
- More than 100 fun playdough recipes!
- Candy cane playdough smells just like Christmas!
- Galaxy playdough is out of this world!
- This kool aid playdough recipe is one of my favorites!
What is your favorite edible playdough recipe to make with your kids?