23 Simple Story Stone Ideas for Kids to Spark Creativity
Are you looking for fun, imaginative play ideas for your kids? We’ve got you! Story stones are the perfect way to introduce creative play with simple supplies. Today we have 23 story stone ideas for kids of all ages – so, grab your craft supplies and flat stones, and create your own story prompts!
Favorite Story Stones Ideas
Story stones are a great way to promote story telling in kids. Young children and older children alike can use smooth stones to create fun stories from their own imagination. Use the back of the stones, or the flattest surface, and illustrate them with animals or even a new character. Then, kids can create stories based on the stone they have chosen. Doesn’t that sound like lots of fun?!
This article contains affiliate links.
Story Stones as Story Telling Prompts
By coming up with their own ideas and creating exciting story-telling prompts, kids will be able to work on their cognitive skills while their drawing skills improve. It’s the perfect activity as there’s no wrong way to play it.
The best part is that you don’t need much to set up these crafts as you probably already have everything at home, if not, you can find the supplies in your local craft store.
Yay! Let’s get started.
DIY Story Stones
1. Homemade Story Stones
Learn how to make homemade story stones and how to use them as a learning tool with your kids at home or in the classroom. From Happy Hooligans.
2. Story telling stones: mouse picnic
Follow this simple tutorial to create your own characters for this animal picnic, using just stones of all shapes and sizes, and a bit of fabric and paper. From Emily Neuburger.
3. Story Stones and Sidewalk Scenes
For some cheap creative fun, draw on some rocks with a fine point permanent marker to make your own story stones – and then start making up some fun story prompts! From Inner Child Fun.
4. Mix & Match Painted Rock Faces
Kids of all ages will have so much fun painting rock faces and then mixing them to create different faces! From Teach Beside Me.
5. How To Make Story Stones and Facilitate Group Storytelling
Group story telling doesn’t have to be difficult! Using story stones is a great idea to tell stories during birthday parties or preschool activities. From Mommy Labs.
6. Inspire Creative Storytelling With “Story Stones”
Learn how to make DIY story stones to enjoy imaginative storytelling with your child, no matter their age! From Scholastic.
7. Storytelling stones for teaching
Here’s everything about storytelling rocks: their benefits, how to use them, and some extra tips to keep learners engaged. From The Stable Company.
8. Story stones guide: How to make and ways to use them
If you need more info, here’s another guide to storytelling stones, how to use them, and some rock painting ideas too. From Rock Painting Guide.
9. How to make story stones
Story stones can be used in SO many different ways and they’re so incredibly easy to make – here’s how to make them! From Little Lifelong Learners.
10. How to Make Story Stones!
These story stones are the perfect way to add a tactile element to all sorts of activities, matching, sorting, story retells or creating! From Stay Classy Classrooms.
11. Camping Themed Story Stones
Whether you’re brand new to story stones or you’re an absolute pro, this camping themed variety is a must-try. The colorful art project is a great way to get kids writing! From Playdough to Plato.
12. Story Stones and Painted Rocks
Story stones and painted rocks are a great way to foster storytelling, creative play and conversations with your child. Try these ideas from Color Made Happy.
13. A New Way to Use Story Stones
Here’s a fun way to use story stones – it’s extremely simple to recreate and there are endless options with this activity! From Little Pine Learners.
14. Alphabet Story Stones
Here are 3 ways to make a set of story stones for your kids, and how you can use them to practice their ABCs. From Homeschool Preschool.
15. Weather Story Stones
These weather story stones are a DIY toy designed for story-telling prompts and for narrative play – and so easy to make. From Frugal Momeh.
16. How To Make Story Stones with Uni-ball Posca Pens
This is a fun way to tell and make up stories with children. Kids can use old characters for inspiration. From The Purple Pumpkin Blog.
17. Frozen Story Stones
Children who love Frozen will have a great time playing with these Frozen story stones and recreating new storylines. From Red Ted Art.
18. 3 Little Pigs Story Stones
These 3 Little Pigs story stones are perfect for re-telling and reading comprehension, using flat rocks and paint pens. From Views From A Stepstool.
19. Christmas Story Stones
These DIY Christmas Story Stones are easy to make and a fabulous resources to have on hand when story telling with young kids. From Homeschool Preschool.
20. Rock Painting Family
Stones come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. This craft to make your own rock family is perfect for those flat stones – the ones you would normal skim over the edge of a lake. From Red Ted Art.
21. Easter Story Stones
Help your little ones Easter understand and the story behind it by creating and using these story stones to teach them. From Rainy Day Mum.
22. Halloween Rock Painting Idea For Kids
Kids will love making these Halloween Story stones and creating their own stories. Follow the tutorial from The Inspiration Edit.
23. Garden Literacy With Story Stones
Story telling with stones can be enhanced with other loose parts from the outdoors, such as leaves, shells, and pinecones – here’s a tutorial from Meganzeni!
DIY Story Stone Kits & Story Dice You Can Buy
If you don’t have the time or energy to create story stones from scratch, these story stone kits will be just the thing for you:
- This cute MindWare Paint Your Own Story includes the story stones and story telling game for kids including a handy carrying bag.
- KipiPol Rock Painting Kit for Kids is a DIY arts and crafts set for girls and boys ages 3 and up with 10 stones and 12 acrylic paints with brushes and rock accessories perfect for making your own story stones.
- Skip the stones and check out these fun Rory’s Story Cubes which is a fun story telling game for the entire family with an average playing time of just 10 minutes.
- Another fun story telling game is the Happy Story Dice Cube Toys set with carrying bag.
Check out these activities to SPARK creativity:
- Here’s an fun LEGO family challenge for family night!
- Are you looking for what to do with old magazines? Here are 14 ideas for you.
- Kids of all ages will love this crayon resist art to create beautiful images.
- We’ve got over 100 super mega fun 5 minute crafts for you to try today!
- Shadow art is amazing — here are 6 creative ideas to make shadow art!
What story did you create with your story stones?