Oh how I loved secret codes when I was a kid. The ability to write a coded letter without anyone but the recipient was just plain fun.
Today on Kids Activities Blog we have 5 secret codes for kids to write their own coded letter.
5 Secret Codes for Kids
1. Reverse the Words
This is a simple code to solve – just read the words backwards! Even though it seems simple once you know the secret, it can be a hard one to figure out when you don’t.
Decode: REMMUS NUF A EVAH
Answer: Have a fun summer
2. Half-Reversed Alphabet
Write out the alphabet letters from A to M then write the letters from N to Z directly below them. Simply exchange the top letters for the bottom letters and vice versa.
3. Block Cipher
Write the message in a rectangular block, one row at a time – we used 5 letters in each row (alphabet letters in order A-E).
Can you figure out what the KEY is to the block cipher pictured above? Each letter is shifted one place in the second row. You can make any key correspond to the rows making it as simple or complex to figure out. Then write down the letters as they appear in the columns.
4. Read Every Second Letter
Read every second letter starting at the first letter, and when you finish, start again on the letters you missed.
Decode: WEEVLEIRKYE – STUOMCMAEMRP (mistake made on lower line)
Answer: We Like to camp every summer
The PigPen code is easier than it looks and is my children’s favorite. First, draw out the two grids below and fill in the letters:
Each letter is represented by the lines around it (or pigpen).
Decode: image above
Answer: I LOVE SUMMER
Write a Coded Letter
We practiced writing our names and silly words before moving to coding whole sentences.
The letters and messages you can write can be fun, but make sure you send along a key so the recipient can figure it all out!
Want More Writing Fun? We Have Plenty of Activities:
- You’ve mastered the art of secret code! Why not try to our crack the code printable now?
- Check out this cool ways to write numbers.
- Interested in poetry? Let us show you how to write a limerick.
- Draw cars
- Help your child with their writing skills and donate their time to a good cause by writing cards to the elderly.
- Your little one will love our kids abc printables.
- Draw a simple flower
- Here are some great ideas to teach your child to learn to write their name.
- Make writing fun with these unique activities!
- Aid your child’s learning with these alphabet handwriting worksheets for kindergarten kids.
- Avoid any accidents while writing. Instead of an electric or razored pencil sharpener, try this traditional pencil sharpener instead.
- Work on your child’s motor skills with these free Halloween tracing worksheets.
- These tracing sheets for toddlers will also help your child’s motor skills as well.
- Need more tracing sheets? We got them! Take a look at the preschool tracing pages.
- Is your kid not doing well with writing? Try these kids learning tips.
- Maybe it isn’t the lack of interest, perhaps they aren’t using the proper writing grip.
- These fun harry potter crafts will teach you to make the cutest pencil holder.
- We have even more learning activities! Your little one will enjoy these learning colors activities.
How did your coded letter turn out? Did you keep your message a secret?