These old fashioned skills are things everyone should know, including kids of all ages whether they are older children or younger children. Plus, these old fashioned skills are a fun way to keep your kids busy when they’re bored. Whether you’re at home or in the classroom these teachable and forgotten old fashioned skills are important to know!
Old Fashioned Important Life Skills for kids
Are your kids telling you they’re bored? This past week was the first week that my 11-year-old son told me he was bored. We’ve done all the crafts, projects, workbooks that he wants to do so now it’s time to find something else to keep him busy.
So, I found an awesome list on Facebook that is titled “Old-Fashioned Skills That Kids Need to Know. I read through the list and realized that a lot of these weren’t things that I was necessarily taught but things I had to learn on my own when I moved out at 18. Now that I have this list, these are the things that I am going to work on with all my kids (21, 17, 11) and make sure they know how to perform these skills.
Related: Teaching kids the life skills of being a good friend.
Life Skills Activities: How to Communicate
- How to write a letter
- How to make a phone call
- How to take a message
- How to converse with an elder
- How to introduce yourself
- How to ask questions to get to know someone better
- How to write a thank you note
- How to admit a mistake
Important Life Skills: How to Care for Others
- How to play with a baby
- How to genuinely apologize
- How to notice the needs of others
- How to care for a pet
- How to select a thoughtful gift
- How to give someone the benefit of the doubt
Life Skills Activities for Kids: How to Care for themselves
- How to sew on a button
- How to hammer a nail
- How to make scrambled eggs
- How to do laundry
- How to garden
- How to fix something
- How to plan a healthy meal
- How to hang a picture
- How to wash dishes
- How to wait and save for something
- How to check tire pressure
- How to read a map
- How to find a book in the library
- How to seek counsel from someone more experienced
- How to set the table
- How to iron a shirt
- How to weight pros and cons
- How to have good table manners
- How to dust
- How to read a recipe
- How to vacuum the stairs
- How to change a light bulb
- How to open, close and lock windows
- How to use a fire extinguisher
- How to make a salad
- How to make a smoothie
- How to clean the refrigerator
- How to clean the bathroom
- How to clean the kitchen
- How to address and stamp an envelope
- How to refill a stapler
- How to put air in a bike tire
- How to pump gas
- How to change a flat tire
Basic Life Skills: Finances
- How to balance a checkbook
- How to budget
- How to write a check
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE WAYS TO KEEP KIDS BUSY:
- Get kids off technology and back to basics with learning worksheets you can print at home!
- Make being stuck at home fun with our favorite indoor games for kids.
- Coloring is fun! Especially with our Fortnite coloring pages.
- Check out how to make bubbles.
- What’s the best kind of party? A unicorn party!
- Learn how to make a compass and go on an adventure with your kids.
- Create an Ash Ketchum costume.
- Try these fun edible playdough recipes!
- Kids love unicorn slime.
- Set up a neighborhood bear hunt. Your kids will love it!
- We also have scissor activities to learn and practice how to use scissors!