Is your child getting frustrated learning to write their numbers?
This tip, from an Occupation Therapy Assistant on Facebook, might be one of the best ones we have seen. Thumb numbers can help your child use their hand as a guide to learn to write.
With thumb numbers, your child places their left hand in a rough L shape. Each number they draw is based on using the index finger and thumb as a guide.
The top part of the 2, for example, fits your child’s thumb. The L part of a written 4 fits against the L part of the hand. Their thumb points at the center of a number 8.
The Facebook post shows the positioning for each number. Even a 6 fits into the L of your hand with the idea that “Six sits on its bottom.”
Once your child is familiar with the shape, switch the hand for a finger tip, and your child will be able to bring their handwriting down in size to fit a smaller piece of paper.
Keep in mind that the main tip is based on having a right-handed child, using the left hand as a guide. For a left-handed child, they can flip their right hand which seems clumsy, or trace them a copy of their own left hand to use.
Isn’t this just brilliant? Let us know if you end up giving it a try!
Free Printable Coloring Pages & Worksheets for Kids:
- Grab your Pokemon Coloring Pages to download & print
- Everyday is a day for Elf on the Shelf Coloring Pages! ?#truth
- Jump from the Battle Bus with these Fortnite Coloring Pages
- Leaves can be any color with these Sprint, Summer & Fall Coloring Pages
- I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream coloring pages
- Let it Go with our Frozen coloring pages
- Baby Shark coloring pages – Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo
- Let’s go to the beach…ocean coloring pages
- Pretty as a peacock coloring pages
- Grab all your crayons for rainbow coloring pages
- Make reading even more fun with this PB kid summer reading challenge.
- Free, festive and oh so many Easter coloring pages
- Run for these cheetah coloring pages
- Relax with more than a dozen choices of zentangle patterns, designs & art
- And even more and more and more coloring pages for kids!