Child is full of learning milestones, but some of the most important ones are often overlooked in importance. Knowing how to properly wash your hair is definitely one of those milestones! Proper hygiene is a life skill and childhood should include this important skillset. Here is the simple method for washing hair independently.
This article contains affiliate links.
How to Teach Independent hair Washing Technique
While every child is different, below are some general guidelines to follow when beginning to teach your child to wash their hair.
Related: My child cries during hair washing
Be sure to practice patience through the process as every child learns and develops at a different pace. And always praise them for a job well done!
Wet hair thoroughly.
Tip: Have them us a fun toy like this shampoo rinser to wet their hair.
Put a small amount of shampoo onto their hand (dime size is good to start and you can go up from there).
Ask your child to begin rubbing the shampoo onto their hair and scalp. If they need help, you can gently guide them.
Have them rinse their hair using a plastic cup, small plastic pitcher or shampoo rinser and ask them to feel it each time. This will give them the ability to “feel” when there is soap in the hair, and when there is not (with your help, of course).
Use a regular towel or a fun one with a towel with a hood and teach them to dry their hair.
It’s time to brush! Depending on your child’s hair texture, this would be a great time to teach them to brush their hair, too. Even if they don’t do much, it will make them feel proud and encourage them to try again!
There you have it! Super simple and easy, but such a great hygiene skill to have. Before you know it your child will be washing their hair all by themselves.
Bath time struggles can be frustrating and you can feel helpless, but it will end. Keep trying and making you child feel safe. Resist the urge to become frustrated or angry with your child. Try making bath time fun and enjoyable for your child.
More Products to Ease Hair Washing Woes at Bath Time
- Portable Hair Washing Basin with shampoo bowl neck rest for kids
- Shampoo Buddy Portable Hair Wash Basin for babies, toddlers, kids
- Hair washing hat shower bath silicone cap
- Baby shower cap for kids hair washing shield
- Bath and shower cap baby shampoo shower cap visor
More Bath Ideas & Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Make your own bath tub finger paint
- DIY bath toys are easy and fun
- Make these easy DIY bath salts with a bubblegum scent
- How often should kids shower?
- These kids vapor bath bombs are genius
- Kids bathroom ideas for storage and organization that are fun!
- Make your own DIY toilet spray
- Did you know you could make a DIY bidet?
- How to use essential oils in the bath
More Hair Posts From Kids Activities Blog
What age was your child when they could wash their own hair?