Let’s make an octopus craft out of a paper bag! This super cute ocean animals kids craft is great for kids of all ages and works well in the classroom as part of a sea animals lesson or at home on a rainy day. This octopus craft can also be used as an abc craft celebrating the letter O. O is for octopus! But it’s also a fun paper bag craft meaning that it is not only fun, but a budget-friendly craft.
Easy Octopus Craft for Kids
This Paper Bag Octopus Craft is one of our favorite paper bag crafts. This simple kids paper craft uses just a few common supplies that can be transformed into this new octopus friend.
This fantastic paper bag preschool craft is a great project that will keep a child’s interest and end up with super cute octopus craft results…no matter their age. These easy peasy steps have simple instructions and will give kids fine motor practice.
This article contains affiliate links.
Related: More octopus crafts
How to Make a Paper Bag Octopus Craft
- Paper bag – we used traditional colored paper bags, but you could use colored paper ones
- Pink Craft Paint – we love the pink paint, but you could use different colors!
- Paint Brush
- Scrap paper or newspaper – they can be big or small pieces you will use as stuffing
- Googley Eyes
- Glue or glue dots or hot glue
Directions to Make A Paper Bag Octopus Craft
Open the paper bag and paint each side pink. We stood our bag up over a plastic bottle to make it easier to paint.
Crumple up scrap paper into a ball or use scraps from your recycling bin like bubble wrap. Drop the paper ball inside the bag.
Gather up the bag under the bag and tie a piece of yarn tightly around it to hold the paper ball in the bottom of the bag.
Cut the paper bag into strips. You now have the octopus head and octopus tentacles! The octopus leg pieces are so cute!
Glue the googly eyes on and draw a smile.
Our experience With This Easy Paper Bag Craft
Who knew you could use a brown paper bag or grocery bag like this? My kids had a blast. Anytime they get to use paint, they’re happy. It’s so much fun. We’ve made a lot of different paper bag crafts from lanterns, paper bag kids, paper bag wreath, etc. But this one is our favorite. We brought out our creativity to make colorful octopi using simple supplies on paper lunch bags. And while this brown paper lunch bag was fun, we were able to take some time to read about octopus facts too. So it was a fun craft and educational as we learned these creatures.
- Paper bag
- Pink Craft Paint
- Scrap paper or newspaper
- Googly Eyes
- Glue or glue dots or hot glue
- Paint Brush
- Paint the paper bag pink or whatever color you want your octopus to be. It is easiest to open the bag and put it upside down over a water bottle to secure it for painting.
- Let dry.
- Crumble up paper and stuff the top part of the paper bag with it.
- Tie a piece of yarn tightly around the middle of the bag or secure with a pipe cleaner.
- Cut strips in the bottom of the bag to make the octopus legs.
- Glue on the googley eyes and draw a smile with a marker.
THE BIG BOOK OF KIDS ACTIVITIES
This paper bag octopus craft is one of the featured kids crafts in our newest book, The Big Book of Kids Activities has 500 projects that are the bestest, funnest ever! Written for kids ages 3-12 it is the compilation of bestselling kids activities books perfect for parents, grandparents and babysitters looking for new ways to entertain kids. This paper bag craft is one of over 30 classic crafts that use materials you have on hand that are featured in this book!
–>Oh! And grab The Big Book of Kids Activities printable play calendar for a year’s worth of playful fun.
More Octopus Crafts & Fun for Kids
- You can also make an octopus using toilet paper rolls for a fun and easy craft!
- Another paper craft octopus is this how to make a toilet paper tube octopus tutorial which is super adorable! It is one of my favorite toilet paper roll octopus crafts.
- Make a hot dog octopus for lunch after crafting all morning!
- Make an octopus craft with kids…preschool, toddlers and older kids will love these cute octopuses or octopi crafts!
- Our O is for Octopus craft is adorable!
- Check out this big list of ocean themed activities and crafts for more octopus fun and crafting.
More Paper Bag Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- Make paper bag puppets with this adorable step by step guide.
- Use a paper lunch sack to create a groundhog puppet…will he see his shadow?
- Using large paper bags from the grocery store, you can create this paper coil basket.
- All those extra lunch sacks will come in handy to create this play city craft or paper bag village!
- Make these super cute heart bags with this simple tissue paper heart craft using a paper bag.
- Make a penguin puppet from a paper bag!
- This paper bag owl is super cute too!
- This adorable mermaid paper bag puppet is one of the cutest things around.
- Make a paper bag snowman craft!
- Have you ever made a paper bag book?
- More paper activities for kids.
How did your paper bag octopus craft turn out? What color did you paint your paper octopus?