Let’s make a DIY lightsaber! My family is definitely a big fan of Star Wars. So, finding new ways to make a light saber is one of my kids favorite things.
Kids of all ages will love these lightsaber crafts – whether they are battling with their lightsabers, munching on them, or keeping them as lightsaber treasures, we definitely enjoy these DIY lightsaber ideas and so will you and your little ones!
Light Sabers for Kids of All Ages
In case you’re not a Star Wars fan, a lightsabers are the choice weapon of the Jedi’s and Sith which are essentially the good guys and bad guys (or vice versa depending on how you look at it).
Think of a lightsaber as a sword, but colorful thanks to it’s Kyber Crystal, and made of plasma….and makes really cool sounds when it is swung.
However, while we can’t have a REAL light saber, which may be a good thing, we can make cool light sabers at home with these fun Star Wars crafts!
15 Cool Ways To Make A Light Saber
1. Homemade Lightsaber Freezer Pops
Perfect for the summer, these light saber frozen pop holders keep your hands warm while you snack. Lightsaber freezer pops are a great way to cool off this summer and are a lot of fun, and the pop holders also make them a little less messy, win! via Kids Activities Blog
2. Make Your Own DIY Lightsaber Popsicle
You can even make a light saber popsicle! Make your own lightsaber popsicle using this mold! It is pretty much the coolest thing ever! You could also use different color juices to make different colored light sabers like red, blue, green, yellow, or purple!
3. DIY Star Wars Decorations
Make a light saber napkin wrap to host the perfect Star Wars party! These DIY Star Wars decorations are so cute and the best part is, they’re even easier to make. via Catch My Party
4. How to Make A Lightsaber Using Balloons
Another fun party craft for a Star Wars party are these balloon light sabers. You can easily make a lightsaber using balloons, stickers, and tape! I love this…so fun!! Plus, you can avoid any ouches with balloon fights. via Offbeat Home
5. Craft a Star Wars Pen That Looks Like A Lightsaber
Want a Star Wars Pen that looks like a lightsaber? Well you’re in luck, because perfect craft to make for kids in school are these light saber pens. Not to mention, they also make amazing party favors for Star Wars themed party. via Kids Activities Blog
6. Make A Light Saber With Hama Beads
Make a light sabers with Hama beads. Love this project! You can make single lightsabers, double headed ones, and can use any color. Dnd the best part is they’re not only fun to make, but would also make great keepsakes, party favors, or keychains. via Pinterest
7. Lightsaber For Kids with Upcycled Supplies
Make your own lightsaber for kids. You can customize your own light saber with a few things from around the house – total cost only $2. Not to mention, these lightsaber for kids are insanely easy to make. via Crazy Little Projects
8. DIY Lightsaber Bubble Wands
How cool! I absolutely love these. You can make lightsaber bubble wands that would make the perfect party favor! They’re cheap to make, super cool, and a great way to get your kids outside to play. via The Contemplative Creative
9. How To Build A Lightsaber Using Pool Noodles
We can show you how to build a light saber using pool noodles. You can use left over pool noodles and black tape to make some really cool light sabers. Or buy a couple extra this summer for pool light saber fights! via Kids Activities Blog
10. Build Your Saber Using Pipe Insulation
If you can’t find pool noodles (maybe during the cooler months) you can follow this great tutorial to make them with pipe insulation. If you build your saber using pipe insulation, it’ll be very similar to the pool noodle lightsaber. via Raise Them Up
11. Rainbow Lightsaber Keychains Craft
Here is a really fun way to make a light saber: with your rainbow loom! Love this. You can make rainbow lightsaber keychains with rubber bands. Make a lightsaber for everyone! It would be such a cute little gift especially with May the Fourth coming up. via Frugal Fun 4 Boys
12. How To Make A Homemade Lightsaber For Kids
Want to know how to make a homemade lightsaber for kids? You can make colorful light sabers is with wrapping paper! My kids tend to battle with the wrapping paper tubes anyway, so why not make it epic! via Kids Activities Blog
13. Easy and Delicious Light Saber Pretzels
Make a delicious snack with these light saber pretzels – yum! You could use small pretzel rods or large ones and you can make them any color with candy melts! You could make blue ones, green, ones, or even red ones! via I Should Be Mopping The Floor
14. Mmmmm…Lightsaber Candy
This lightsaber candy is perfect for party favor bags! Wrap Smarties in this unique way to make tiny delicious light sabers! They’re actually super cute and not that hard to do. via Jadelouise Designs
15. Star Wars Veggie Lightsabers
Light saber veggies! This is so cool – just wrap a little aluminum foil on the end of celery or carrots. This will actually make kids want to eat their veggies for once. via Mummy Deals
WHAT LIGHTSABER COLORS MEAN
Earlier I mentioned something about Lightsaber colors and while it may not be a big deal to small kids, bigger kids may be interested the different Kyber crystals (different colored pool noodle lightsaber) meaning. Then they can have the same blade color as their favorite characters may it be a Jedi Knight, or red blades like the Sith or any other beloved characters in the Star Wars Universe.
Knowing about the colors will help promote some pretend play and imagination!
Lightsaber Colors for Jedi’s
- Blue lightsabers are used by Jedi Guardians.
- Green lightsabers are used by Jedi Consulars.
- Yellow lightsabers were used by Jedi Sentinels.
Luke Skywalker also had a blue lightsaber as did Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ahsoka Tano actually used blue and then green, before using a white light saber. Qui-Gon Jinn also used a green lightsaber.
These colors generally represent the Jedi Order.
Lightsaber Colors for Sith’s
- Generally red lightsabers are used for Sith, though there are no rules, you can choose whatever you want.
- Orange lightsabers are also rumored to be used by the Sith as well.
- The black lightsaber was used by Darth Maul later.
Kylo Ren’s blue blade became his red lightsaber later in the story. Count Dooku also used a red light saber. These lightsaber blade usually represent those who went to the dark side!
Other Notable Lightsaber Colors
- Yellow lightsabers are used generally by those who struggled but became better people.
- Purple lightsabers were generally used by powerful people with powerful personalities. Some examples would be:
- Mace Windu
- Ki-Adi Mundi
- White lightsabers were used by Imperial Knights.
Some Of Our Favorite Lightsaber Toys
Don’t feel like making a lightsaber? That’s fine, there are a number of awesome lightsabers you can buy! They light up, make sounds, and more. They’re super awesome!
From video games, to the Phantom Menace, or the Rise of Skywalker, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, or any other Star Wars movie, you can choose the best lightsabers that fit you!
You can have Kylo Ren’s lightsaber, Dark Vader’s Lightsaber, Anakin Skywalker’s Lightsaber, (before he was Darth Vader). There are so many different styles of lightsabers to choose from. Be a Jedi Master or Grand Inquisitor!
This post contains affiliate links.
- 2-in- 1 Light Up Saber Light Swords Set LED Dual Laser Swords
- Star Wars Lightsaber Forge Darth Maul Double-Bladed lightsabers electronic red light saber toy
- Star Wars Lightsaber Forge Luke Skywalker Electronic Extendable Blue Light Saber Toy
- Star Wars Forces of Destiny Jedi Power Lightsaber
- Star Wars Lightsaber Forge Darth Vader Electronic Extendable Red Lightsaber Toy
- Star Wars Lightsaber Forge Mace Windu Extendable Purple Lightsaber Toy
- Star Wars Mandalorian Darksaber Lightsaber Toy With Electronic Lights and Sounds
- Star Wars Kylo Ren Electronic Red Lightsaber Toy With Hand Guard Plus Lightsaber Training Videos
More Star Wars Activities from Kids Activities Blog
Still looking for some more awesome Star Wars crafts and activities? Then check out the posts below! Be a young Jedi or just enjoy any of these great Star Wars Crafts.
- We love Star Wars and all the fun crafts we make to go along with it. (One of our most favorites ever is this R2D2 trash can!)
- Looking for some more Star Wars games for kids? Look no further! We have 10 great Star Wars crafts and activities for you.
- Want to make another light saber? We posted one similar craft up above, but here is another pool noodle lightsaber craft!
- You’ll love these Star Wars crafts! They’re perfect anytime really, but even more so with May the Fourth being so close.
- Star Wars is even perfect for Christmas! This Star Wars wreath is festive and super cute!
- Going to a Star Wars themed party! Well grab your light saber and one of these great Star Wars gifts. There are over 170 to choose from!
- Don’t forget about Baby Yoda! We have so much Baby Yoda stuff that you will love including how to draw Baby Yoda in just a few easy steps.
Leave a comment: Which DIY lightsaber craft are you going to make first?