Summer is almost over, so what are you going to do with all of those pool noodles you have lying around? How about making your kids these DIY pool noodle lightsabers? Your little Star Wars fans will battle each other in a safe and fun way. While you get busy making these for the kiddos, why not have them work on making their own Star Wars characters out of toilet paper rolls?
These pool noodles are easy and quick to make, but they kept the kids entertained forever. Since we made them, they are the go-to toy to play with outside. They have been played with both in and out of the water, and they have held up perfectly through many epic battles. I had originally just made the single light saber. However, one of the boys we had over to play made a request for a double lightsaber. Brilliant. I will give you instructions for both.
Materials Needed to Make Pool Noodle Lightsabers
- Pool Noodles
- Duct Tape
- Black Electrical Tape
- Serrated Knife
- Cutting Board
Directions for Making Pool Noodle Single Lightsabers
- Using a serrated knife, cut your pool noodles to length. I made my lightsabers 33″ long.
- Wrap one end of your pool noodle with duct tape, one strip at a time. Add a strip, cut and then slightly layer the next strip over the last. Continue this process with six strips of duct tape.
- Add the black electrical tape strips. You will make 3 strips of black tape. My strips were about an inch apart. This does not have to be exact.
- Add two short pieces of electrical tape toward the base of the swim noodle. These were about 1 3/4″ in length.
Directions for Making Pool Noodle Double Lightsabers
- DO NOT cut the pool noodle.
- Wrap duct tape, one strip at a time, around the center of the pool noodle. I used seven strips of duct tape, layering each one slightly over the next.
- Wrap the black electrical tape on top of the duct tape. Do one strip of electrical tape at each end of the duct tape. The two strips in the middle are double wide.
My husband figured out how to make it a DIY lightsaber that really lights up. If you take your pool noodle and find a flashlight that fits tightly into the center of the pool noodle, you take your lightsaber to an epic level. We were able to stick a small flashlight into the bottom, and it wedged in perfectly. I have to give a mom warning. You might want to put duct tape over the holes if your kids will be using them for battles. I would hate a kid to get injured by a flying flashlight. While ours wedged in tightly, and I had little concern, I need to recommend taking necessary precautions to make it safe for kids to use.
It’s time to go out and grab those pool noodles to create your own lightsabers. These toys will spark your children’s imagination and take them to a whole new world. Here are some more great Star Wars ideas for kids: DIY R2D2 Trash Can and Star Wars Cakes.