Bubbles are good and with this giant bubble recipe and giant bubble wand, the fun is gigantic! Both use commonly available supplies, are easy to make and then provide hours of bubble blowing the biggest bubbles possible. Kids of all ages won’t be able to resist the huge bubbles fun.
My kids love blowing bubbles, so we had to give this giant bubble mixture a try. The giant bubble wand was recreated from a bubble wand that we found at the toy store and the bubble solution recipe is one of our favorites.
How to Make Giant Homemade Bubbles
Let’s start with the giant bubble wand! What makes this so effective is that there is a lot of surface area for the bubble solution to adhere to and the wind does the rest. I like that even though this item is giant when playing making massive bubbles, it takes up very little space in the playroom or garage.
Related: Make a smaller DIY bubble wand out of some straws or fashion a traditional bubble wand out of a pipe cleaner for small bubbles.
This article contains affiliate links.
DIY Giant Bubble Wand
PVC pipe can easily be found at your local home improvement store, hardware store or online. I love building toys out of PVC pipe because it is like a large building set to make your own homemade bubble wands.
Supplies Needed for Each Bubble Wand
Directions to Make Giant Bubble Wand
Slide the PVC connector onto the pipe and add the caps to each end.
Tie one end of the yarn to the top of the pipe, then string the washer onto the yarn and thread it through the connector.
Bring the yarn back to the top of the pipe and tie it in place to create a long triangle.
Sliding Bubble Wand Mechanism Makes the Giant Bubble Wand Work
The PVC connector will slide up to the top of the wand when placed in the bubble solution, then you can pull it down slowly to open the wand. Once a bubble has formed, slide the connector back to the top of the wand to release the bubble.
Now, let’s make our Giant Bubble Recipe!
Giant Bubbles Recipe
There are a lot of good homemade bubble recipe ideas, but I like this one because it uses supplies I already have at the house and it really does make the best bubbles that are strong bubbles and of course, BIG!
Supplies Needed for DIY Bubble Solution
- 12 cups of water
- 1 cup dish soap – We usually use blue dawn liquid detergent
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- Large bucket or large bowl or dish tub
Directions for Giant Bubble Solution
Mix the ingredients together in a large bucket and allow to sit for at least an hour.
The longer it sits, the better. What an easy bubble solution to make!
Let’s Make Giant Bubbles!
Each child will dip their own bubble wand into a container of bubble solution, then slide the connector out to create a triangle. Watch the big bubbles form!
We had so much fun making these giant bubbles and it was a great way to play outside together.
- 1/2-inch PVC pipe cut 3 feet long
- 2 1/2-inch PVC caps
- 3/4-inch PVC connector
- You may want glue to secure the end caps.
- Slide the straight PVC pipe connector onto the long PVC pipe and add the caps to each end.
- Tie one end of the yarn to the top of the pipe and then string the washer onto the yarn and thread it through the straight connector.
- Bring the yarn back to the top of the pipe and tie it in place to create a long triangle with the washer pulling it down in the middle.
For even more summer fun, check out this way to make giant bubbles with a hula hoop!
More Bubble Fun from Kids Activities Blog
Making your own homemade bubble solution and blowing bubbles is one of our favorite outdoor activities. The enormous bubbles we made with the above recipe had such good results, we knew we needed to have more bubble fun…
- Looking for regular size bubbles? Here is the absolute best how to make bubbles tutorial on the internet…oh, and it does NOT use glycerin!
- Have you seen this insanely addictive bubble wrap toy? I can’t stop popping bubbles!
- Make frozen bubbles…this is so cool!
- I cannot live another moment without this giant bubble ball. Can you?
- A smoke bubble machine that you can hold in your hand is awesome.
- Make bubble foam in these colorful ways!
- Make bubble art with this bubble painting technique.
- Glow in the dark bubbles are the best kinda bubbles.
- DIY bubble machine is an easy thing to make!
- Have you made bubble solution with sugar?
Did your kids have fun making the giant bubble wand and giant bubble solution recipe? How did the big bubbles go? Did your kids have hours of entertainment?