Today we are making a R2D2 Trash Can for a child’s room. It is a really simple and easy Star Wars craft for kids of all ages for those Star Wars fans. This will transform a plain trashcan into one worthy of outer space.
DIY R2D2 Trash Can Craft for Kids
*Alternately Titled: How I got my son to clean up his paper bits.*
My son enjoys Star Wars. His father got the boys hooked on it when I was on a trip to Ethiopia. They quote large portions of it to each other over the dinner table.
Imagine his surprise and joy when his best buddy showed up with a decorated trash can!
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to Make Your Own R2D2 Trash Can
- White Colored Small Domed Trash Can with lid – mini waste can (we used a 1 1/2 gallon size)
- Black, Blue, Silver Duct Tapes
Directions to Make a Star Wars Trash Can
Grab a photo or a R2D2 toy to use as a template for the patterns and unique droid markings.
Using scissors, cut the appropriate colored duct tape into similar shapes as what you see on your R2D2 template.
You don’t have to be perfect! In fact, it is surprising how our brains fill in all the details of this beloved Star Wars character when we just see a few shapes in the right place.
Our Experience with this Star Wars Craft
Aiden and I cut the duct tape to match R2D2. We looked at the big shapes and what colors of duct tape we had on hand. R2D2 has some blue markings, but we didn’t have blue duct tape. The gray and black tape worked fine and everyone recognizes the droid!
This Star Wars trash can is treasured, as it is made with love.
AND… it has a hidden perk.
We homeschool, and after school time there is a LOT of paper trash at our house. Turns out *this* R2D2, needs paper and only paper to survive. He has a very demanding diet for paper. He comes out once a day for his “meal.”
Thank you Aiden and R2D2 for cleaning up our school room.
More Star Wars Crafts & Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Have you seen the video of the cute 3 year old talking about Star Wars?
- Simple Star Wars characters drawings transform into 3D easy Star Wars crafts made of…toilet paper rolls! <–so out of this world cute!
- These Star Wars activities will have kids busy and having fun.
- Have you seen Star Wars Barbie?
- Check out this easy to make lightsaber pen craft!
- Make a Star Wars wreath for your front door.
- These Star Wars cake ideas are as yummy as they look.
- Learn how to draw Baby Yoda in just a few easy steps!
- Oh so many fun ways to make light sabers!
- Super easy way to make Star Wars cookies.
- Princess Leia Coloring page with coloring tutorial.
- Create light sabers from pool noodles.
- You can even make Millennium Falcon Pancakes
- We have the best Star Wars crafts for kids…and Star Wars loving adults too!
Did your kids have fun with this Star Wars craft?