Let’s learn more about the story of Johnny Appleseed with these Johnny Appleseed facts printout and coloring page great for kids of all ages at home or in the classroom.
If you have ever wondered “is Johnny Appleseed real?” then download and print the Johnny Appleseed fun facts for preschoolers, Kindergartners and beyond. All your questions will be answered!
Psst…Johnny Appleseed’s real name was John Chapman!
Who is Johnny Appleseed?
Johnny Appleseed has a great story that is fun to learn about year round.
While Johnny Appleseed Story is often considered an American folklore tale, many parts are true!
National Johnny Appleseed Day Celebration
We celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day twice a year not only because he introduced apple trees to new places, but also because he was loved by many people and made friends anywhere he went. Those Johnny Appleseed Day dates are:
- March 11
- September 26 on his birthday
Was Johnny Appleseed Real?
Johnny Appleseed was born John Chapman in Massachusetts in 1774 and he really liked apples.
He liked them so much, that he spent 50 years sharing his love for them by planting apple trees and apple orchards in many places!
Johnny was on a mission to feed as many people as possible, and that’s why he carried apple seeds with him in a sack as he traveled across the country, often barefoot.
And he traveled really, really far! He planted apple trees in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, West Virginia, and even went as far as Ontario, Canada!
10 Johnny Appleseed Facts
These are my favorite Johnny Appleseed facts:
- Johnny Appleseed’s real name is John Chapman.
- Johnny was born in September 1774, in Leominster, Massachusetts, United States.
- We celebrate two Johnny Appleseed Days: Sept 26th, which is his birthday, and March 11, his death.
- Johnny was a missionary, and his favorite book was the Bible.
- He never married, but he wasn’t a lonely man: he had friends everywhere across America!
- Johnny was wealthy, but he didn’t like to flaunt it. Instead, he chose to dress modestly and even wore the same pants all year round.
- He didn’t plant seeds in random places; actually, he carefully planned, bought land, and cared for the trees he planted.
- He was so kind, that sometimes he gave away his trees to people who couldn’t afford them.
- He was a vegetarian! He loved animals so much and even rescued a wolf that he found in a trap.
- Johnny Appleseed loved sleeping under the stars in a hammock or burrowed in a pile of leaves.
Free Johnny Appleseed Facts Coloring Page
Download and print the pdf version of the 10 Johnny Appleseed Facts for kids and using them as a printout or Johnny Appleseed coloring page.
This printable Johnny Appleseed worksheet set is perfect for both younger kids and older kids and will be an asset to any apple learning module or Johnny Appleseed history lesson.
Download & Print pdf Files Here
Coloring the Johnny Appleseed Printables
Let your kids use their imagination!
They can use colored pencils, crayons, markers, or just anything they can think of! All you have to do is print this Johnny Appleseed coloring page on regular sheets of 8.5 x 11 inch paper and you’re ready for a fun afternoon activity!
More Ways to Explore the Johnny Appleseed Story for Kids
More educational and creative learning activities for kids! In case you need more than the free Johnny Appleseed printable and fun facts about his exciting story.
- This apple stamp craft turns out so cute!
- These felt apple crafts are really fun to make with kids of all ages.
- Make this apple craft from red crumpled tissue paper!
- Check out our favorite fall apple crafts for kids.
- I love this The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree art project for kids.
- This button art idea is all apple!
- Make this cute bookmarks craft…it is an apple!
- Make an apple tree craft with preschoolers.
- Make a paper plate apple craft.
- These apple activities for preschoolers are printable apple themed worksheets.
- Show your love to Johnny Appleseed by making this applesauce fruit leather!
- Our apple coloring pages are perfect to accompany this story!
Check out these 50+ facts for kids that they won’t believe are true!
Which one is your favorite Johnny Appleseed fact? Mine is that he loved animals!