We are back with more educational and creative learning activities for kids! Yay! Today we are coloring a free Johnny Appleseed printable while we learn some fun facts about his exciting story.
Before we get started with our Johnny Appleseed coloring page, warm up with this adorable apple printable for kids.
Or if you want a more hands-on activity, this apple craft for preschoolers is great to celebrate apple season!
Who is Johnny Appleseed?
Johnny Appleseed Day is so fun to celebrate! The story of Johnny Appleseed is well known among kids in many places. But was Johnny Appleseed Real? Why do we celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day?
Let’s find out!
While Johnny Appleseed Story is often considered an American folklore tale, many parts are true!
Johnny Appleseed was a man born in Massachusetts in 1774 who loved apples. (By the way, our apple coloring pages are perfect to accompany this story!)
He liked them so much, that he spent 50 years sharing his love for them by planting apple trees and apple orchards in many places!
Johnny wanted to feed as many people as possible, and that’s why he carried apple seeds with him in a sack as he traveled across the country, often barefoot.
And he traveled really, really far! He planted apple trees in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, West Virginia, and even went as far as Ontario, Canada!
We celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day twice a year not only because he introduced apple trees to new places, but also because he was loved by many people and made friends anywhere he went.
10 Interesting Johnny Appleseed Facts
Is there anything better than random but cool facts? I don’t think so! For example, did you know that kangaroos can not walk backwards?
Neither did I!
Check out these 50+ facts for kids that they won’t believe are true!
But back to our legendary story! These are my favorite Johnny Appleseed facts:
- Johnny Appleseed’s real name is John Chapman.
- Johnny was born in September 1774, in Leominster, Massachusetts, United States.
- We celebrate two Johnny Appleseed Days: Sept 26th, which is his birthday, and March 11, his death.
- Johnny was a missionary, and his favorite book was the Bible.
- He never married, but he wasn’t a lonely man: he had friends everywhere across America!
- Johnny was wealthy, but he didn’t like to flaunt it. Instead, he chose to dress modestly and even wore the same pants all year round.
- He didn’t plant seeds in random places; actually, he carefully planned, bought land, and cared for the trees he planted.
- He was so kind, that sometimes he gave away his trees to people who couldn’t afford them.
- He was a vegetarian! He loved animals so much and even rescued a wolf that he found in a trap.
- Johnny Appleseed loved sleeping under the stars in a hammock or burrowed in a pile of leaves.
Which one is your favorite Johnny Appleseed fact? Mine is that he loved animals!
Get Our Free Johnny Appleseed Coloring Page
Show your love to Johnny Appleseed by making this applesauce fruit leather! They are so delicious and super simple to make!
Let your kids use their imagination!
They can use colored pencils, crayons, markers, or just anything they can think of! All you have to do is print this Johnny Appleseed coloring page on regular sheets of 8.5 x 11 inch paper and you’re ready for a fun afternoon activity!