Today we have fun New Year’s facts that you probably didn’t know! You’re going to love to know that you can use these facts about New Year worksheets as coloring pages too because we made two versions: a full-color pdf and a black and white pdf.
Printable facts about New Year’s celebration
These fun facts about New Year’s are a cool ice breaker when meeting new friends at school or anywhere. Plus, who doesn’t love learning random facts?
You can print these New Year’s facts out as either a full-color sheet or the black and white version that doubles as New Year’s coloring pages!
Both versions are free and equally fun!
12 facts about New Years
- Julius Caesar declared the first of January to be the start of the New Year.
- The first New Year’s celebration dates back 4,000 years.
- About 1 million people gather in New York City’s Times Square to watch the ball drop.
- On average, a million people flock to New York’s Times Square to see the ball drop.
- Vehicles are stolen on New Year’s Day more than any other holiday.
- Eating black-eyed peas, ham, and cabbage on New Year’s Day is believed to bring good luck.
- Americans drink around 360 million glasses of sparkling wine on New Year’s.
- 25% of Americans that make New Year’s resolutions give up on them by the second week of January.
- The Pacific island nations of Tonga, Samoa, and Kiribati are the first countries to welcome New Year…
- …While American Samoa is the last (inhabited) place to celebrate it.
- Eat a donut (or any other round food!) to symbolize that the year has come full circle.
- The song “Longplayer” was launched on January 1, 2000, and will take 1000 years to play. You can listen to it in real-time on the Internet.
Don’t wait until New Year’s eve to print these worksheets; they are perfect for home, classroom, or virtual learning environment any time of the year.
Everything New Years
Need coloring supplies? Here are some kid favorites:
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
- Don’t forget a pencil sharpener.
You can find LOADS of super fun coloring pages for kids & adults here. Have fun!
More New Year’s fun from Kids Activities Blog
- How to make lasting memories with your kids on New Year’s Eve
- Free New Years coloring pages to print and color
- 5 dazzling appetizers for your New Years Eve party
- How to plan a New Years Eve party for kids