Got a kid that loves English literature? Then these William Shakespeare facts are just what you need! We put together two coloring pages filled with facts about Shakespeare’s life, Shakespeare’s works, and other fun facts about him.
12 Interesting Facts About William Shakespeare
Most of us know that William Shakespeare was an Elizabethan playwright and one of the most famous writers in history, but did you know that he was also an actor in his own plays? There’s so much to learn about Shakespeare, so let’s get started!
- William Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet and actor born in April 1564 in England, and died on April 23, 1616.
- He is regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s pre-eminent dramatist.
- He is often called England’s national poet and the “Bard of Avon.”
- Shakespeare’s father, John Shakespeare, was known to be a glovemaker but also worked as a wool dealer and informal money-lender.
- His wife, Anne Hathaway, was 26 years old, and Shakespeare was 18 when they married. Their first child, Susanna, was born six months after the wedding.
- William Shakespeare wrote around 37 plays for the theatre and over 150 poems.
- There are several lost plays and plays that Shakespeare collaborated on, meaning he wrote an average of 1.5 plays a year since he first started writing in 1589.
- Shakespeare was also an actor who performed many of his own plays.
- Two of Shakespeare’s plays, Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing, have been translated into Klingon, a language created for the Star Strek universe.
- Shakespeare’s name was recorded as Gulielmus Shakspere at his baptism in 1564, the Latin word for William.
- The Oxford English Dictionary has credited Shakespeare with introducing almost 3,000 words to the English language.
- Special effects during Shakespeare’s time included beating drums or rolling a cannonball to make the noise of thunder and throwing a powder into a candle flame to make a bolt of lightning.
Download William Shakespeare Facts Coloring Pages PDF
- Some of the most famous depictions of Shakespeare, such as the Chandos portrait and the Droeshout engraving, were created after his death and are thought to be based on earlier images.
- Shakespeare’s mother was Mary Shakespeare, and his father, John Shakespeare, was a successful merchant and local politician.
- In 1613, the Globe Theatre, where many of Shakespeare’s plays were performed, burned down during a performance of “Henry VIII.”
- Estimations of his vocabulary range from 17,000 to 29,000 words, double the number of words the average person uses.
- He was baptized and buried in the Holy Trinity Church in his hometown of Stratford-upon-Avon. However, there’s a rumor that grave robbers stole his skull.
This article contains affiliate links.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR SHAKESPEARE FACTS COLORING SHEETS
These Shakespeare fun facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
- Something to color with-favorite crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, watercolors…
- The printable Shakespeare facts coloring sheets template pdf.
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Enjoy our fun butterfly facts coloring pages.
- Here are 10 fun facts about Valentine’s Day!
- These Mount Rushmore facts coloring pages are so much fun!
- These fun dolphin facts coloring pages are the cutest ever.
- Welcome spring with these 10 fun Easter facts coloring pages!
- Do you live on the coast? You’ll want these hurricane facts coloring pages!
- Grab these fun facts about rainbows for kids!
- Don’t miss out on these fun dog facts coloring pages!
- You’ll love these Martin Luther King Jr. coloring pages!
What was your favorite William Shakespeare fact?