Check out a smart refrigerator organization hack: This Mom posted on social media because her fridge organization is BRILLIANT for keeping kids fed and happy with snacks.
Oh, all those kid fridge snacks! Ever need a way to keep the kid food in the fridge organized?
Me too…which is why I was so excited to find this brilliant org for kids fridge snack ideas.
Sarah Hornung, a mom from Buffalo, New York recently posted about a fridge hack that she uses to keep her kids fed in a way that pushes healthy food without always nagging.
She posted on Facebook with the idea and it instantly took off leaving parents everywhere wanting (and even planning) to do the same…
How to Organize Kids Snacks in the Fridge
In her post she says:
Sunday self-serve is ready for the week. ?????? After grocery shopping I always wash and prep all of the food that is considered self-serve in our house. Self-serve for my kiddos means help yourself without asking and it’s always an okay snack (any time of day, bedtime snacks, etc.) It also helps me when I’m packing lunches and snacks, or as a side dish when dinner doesn’t include something they will definitely eat or if we have a busy/late night. There’s something about having things truly ready to grab that makes kids eat it. I could leave the baby carrots in a bag or leave the grapes on the stems but they wouldn’t eat it. ??????????
PS- For the fruits and veggies I do put covers on the containers so they don’t get gross.-Sarah Hornung
More Smart Snack Organization Ideas In The Fridge from Parents
It truly is brilliant and is a lot like other snack organization ideas I’ve seen for the pantry from other parents on Pinterest.
Same concept just healthier.
As you can imagine, parents are saying how brilliant this hack is, and even saying they will be doing the same (or already do this).
1. Split Deli Drawer into Pre-packaged Plastic Snack Bags
Other parents chimed in with their versions of this fridge/snack hack:
2. DIY Lunchables for Easy Kid Snacking
3. Simple Snack Organization System
This is so smart no matter how you look at it. You can help your kiddos have quick access to healthy food but also keep any eye on what they are eating.
I love that these fresh fruits and vegetables (along with other healthy options) are within a child’s reach so they can learn how to make healthy choices on their own.
I mean, how many times do you opt for cake or something sweet because it’s too much work to cut up fresh vegetables? I am guilty of that myself.
4. Grab the Right Snack Organizer for Your Fridge
I hadn’t really thought about snack organizer ideas until I started a deeper research on all these ideas and realized there are products out there that can make it easier. Grab some of these clear bins to keep an organized fridge. This article contains affiliate links.
- Grab these Plastic Storage bins that are Stackable and Clear for Organizing the Fridge Food and Snacks.
- This set of 11 clear refrigerator organizer bins are stackable with handles. I love stackable bins.
- These Produce Saver Storage Containers have lids and are great for refrigerator organizer bins for use with snacks.
A Few More Fridge Organization Tips
All these tips are the best way and are amazing and I love them! But a couple good things that I personally do is:
5. Write Expiration Dates On Everything For Extra Fridge Organization
Writing expiration dates on your DIY lunchables, bins, salad dressing will help you know when to throw stuff away. Often times we overlook the little writing on the containers until things pile up. This way you can always keep your food items rotating so nothing is piling up and going bad because you can see the expiration date.
6. Keep A Special Container or Shelf for Raw Meat
Raw meat should not be on the same shelf as fruits and veggies and other things that can easily be contaminated. Put the raw meat on the top shelf or a special container to keep other foods from getting contaminated. I like to use my bottom shelf. That way if anything leaks it doesn’t drip down. No one wants their fresh foods tainted.
7. Produce Drawers Are Great To Keep A Fridge Organized
A lot of us put fresh food or fresh produce in the crisper drawers, but they can be used for other things. Glass containers like drinks, smaller items like juice boxes, or different items that take up a lot of space can be put away in these drawers. Though drawers where you can change the humidity level I prefer for my fruits and veggies like leafy greens.
8. Don’t Push Things To The Back Of Your Fridge
The back of your fridge is kind of the black hole of your fridge. Keeping food in plain sight is a good idea because it helps with less food waste. It’s a great way to keep an organized refrigerator because it also leaves more space. The last thing we want is forgotten old leftovers taking up space in the back. That, and salad dressings tend to get lost in the back of the fridge.
9. Keep Your Favorite Snacks In Refrigerator Bins Inside Of Your Fridge
Don’t just snack your healthy snack and tasty snacks. It takes up room. This food storage is perfect for keeping your fridge in order.
You can keep your egg carton on here, along with yogurt, condiments, soda, tea, and even veggies!
More Kitchen Hack Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- Looking for more fridge organization and kitchen organization ideas? We have them!
- Keep your kitchen organized with this awesome declutter checklist.
- Here are 20 kitchen tips for foodies!
- These are must have kitchen gadgets for parents.
- Don’t forget these 10 fun tools for kids in the kitchen.
- I love each and ever of these time saving kitchen tips.
- Sink a mess? Get your sink looking shiny and new with this kitchen sink scrub.
- These kitchen cleaning hacks are so great. I love them all.
How do you organize all those kid snacks in the fridge? Do you have snack organizer ideas?