Let’s talk about pantry organization ideas! Ways to organize a pantry can be challenging whether that be a pantry cabinet or a pantry closet. Kitchen cabinets never have enough space for easy access to everything you need on a daily basis which is why the kitchen pantry was invented. And organized pantry can change everything! We have found the best pantry organization ideas around!
How to Organize a Pantry Cabinet & Closet
We need to do some pantry organizing. Sometimes I think I could skip grocery shopping trip if I just cleaned up the mess that is my pantry. Which is why I’ve scoured the depths of the internet to bring you these best pantry organization ideas that are easy and fun.
Related: Best small space organization ideas
If you have a small kitchen with storage problems don’t worry! These are some of my favorite organization ideas for great use of space no matter how small. The main goal of any storage cabinet is to use the prime real estate in the most functional way giving you both work space and meeting your storage needs.
This post contains affiliate links.
Steps To Organizing A Pantry
- Start with evaluation the pantry space: The first step is to pull out all your pantry items from your cabinet space or pantry closet onto the kitchen table including those items that are deep pantry lost!
- Clean the pantry space: Wipe down the pantry space including open shelving, door rack, wire shelves, empty plastic bins and even the inside of your pantry door.
- Take a pantry inventory: Go through all the food items, canned food, pantry staples and dry goods to check for expiration dates and anything that you can donate to the food bank or eat tonight!
- Lay out a pantry organization plan: Once you have made piles for trash, donation and things you want to keep, let’s start with a little organization before we put things back into the pantry by separating the things you use on a regular basis to place them strategically for easier access.
- Implement some awesome pantry storage ideas: OK, it is now the perfect time for more organized pantry ideas…
Best Pantry Organization Ideas
1. Organize The Snacks In Your Pantry
Do you buy those large boxes of snacks for your family? The ones that have personal assorted cookies, crackers, granola bars, etc? You can store snacks in a fish bowl. They’re easy to get into and it looks adorable, plus it is one of my favorite cheap organizing ideas.
2. Organize Trash Bags And Others Boxes
Have trash bags, boxes of baggies, baking cups, and other stuff taking up space in your pantry? Use an office organizer to store trash bags. Why didn’t I think of that? Getting these clunky boxes out of the way makes so much more room.
3. Make Extra Storage Space In Your Pantry
A shoe organizer thrown over the door adds a ton of extra storage space to your pantry. It can hold so many different things! This is something I learned from my mother and is one of my favorite organizing ideas. She used it to old and sort medicine, thermometers, band-aids, etc. I use it to hold all my different spices, but you could also use it for snacks too.
4. Recycled Pantry Organizing Ideas
Don’t throw away those empty crystal light containers! Empty Crystal Light containers can hold small cookie cutters and other kid’s lunch stuff. They’re also a great way to keep up with your piping tips as well.
5. Organizing The Cans In Your Pantry
You know those metal magazine racks? You can usually find them at Staples and other office stores. Not the wall mounted ones, but the ones that usually sit on tables or desks. You can use a magazine rack to hold canned goods. I can’t get over how smart this is! If you don’t have one, you can always use traditional can holders.
6. Use Wicker Baskets For Your Pantry Organizing
Add a few wicker baskets to organize your pantry and to totally class your pantry up. These look so much nicer than Tupperware! Plus, wicker baskets have more room. They can hold more spices, snacks, and even baking supplies like flour, sugar, baking powder/soda.
7. Organize Your Pantry With Sink Caddies
Do you use a lot of seasoning or use a lot of sauce and gravy mixes? Use sink caddies from the bathroom to hold all those packets of seasoning and sauce mix. I am always losing those! You can also use them to hold single drink mixes, packets of juice mix, sugar or creamer packets, or things like honey sticks.
8. Creating Extra Storage Space With Empty Soda Boxes
Oh my heck! I LOVE when you can recycle items to benefit your home. Going green is so nice. Did you know you can use an empty soda box to store your cans? Add some fancy paper and it looks totally posh! It frees up so much space in your pantry which is a must when you are pantry organizing.
9. Cheap Organizing Ideas For Your Grocery Bags
Am I the only one who keeps my plastic grocery bags to reuse them? I use them for smaller trash cans, small trash bags, put them under crafters to avoid messes. There are so many ways to reuse them, but they tend to be everywhere and get out of hand. You can use mailing tubes to store plastic bags. Genius! You can fit so many in them!
10. Decorate Your Pantry Once You Finish Your Pantry Organizing
And when you’re finished organizing your pantry with all these crazy things, why not dress it up with a little bunting. Yes, seriously– she used bunting to decorate her pantry and it’s so cute!
11. More Pantry Organizing Ideas
For more pantry organizing then you’ll want to check out these 16 pantry organizing ideas that are so simple!
12. Use A Lazy Susan To Keep Your Dry Ingredients and Spices Stored Together
A lazy Susan may take up a little bit of space, but you can keep small jars of nuts, flours, sugar, and spices on it and just spin it around when you need something. No more stacking or lining up spices and getting frustrated when you can’t find what you need.
13. Use A Label Maker To Organize Your Pantry
Label jars, containers, even the top of spices on the lazy Susan to find stuff easier and to keep things easily organized so you know what is what.
14. Use Clear Containers To Keep Your Pantry Organized
Clear bins, large glass jars, wire baskets, clear plastic containers are the best way to keep things organized. That way you can see what is in each without having to take everything out of each container or opening them to see what is in them. That usually ends with things not going back where they need to go.
15. Utilize Every Shelf In Your Pantry
The very top shelf and very bottom shelf usually become the “junk” shelf, but you can turn these pantry shelves into something useful! I use the bottom shelf to hold my seasonal items. Whether it’s holiday or seasonal, this is where they go. The top shelf is usually where the salty snacks, snack foods, sweets, and stuff like an extra paper towel roll will go. Use all your space and don’t let any of the shelves go to waste.
16. Use Crates To Hold Fruits and Vegetables In Your Pantry
You can use crates to hold large amounts of potatoes (make sure to check them from time to time to get rid of bad ones), apples, and onions. That way they’re off your counter and not making a mess. And that way if you keep them in the pantry they’re not getting forgotten or pushed back.
17. Organize Your Pantry With Mason Jars
We talked about using clear jars, but you can use mason jars in a number of ways to keep your pantry organized. Remove the lazy Susan and add a baking sheet to the door or wall and use small mason jars to organize your spices.
The Benefits Of Organizing Your Home Beyond the Pantry
Did you know there are benefits to organizing your home? I didn’t know that for the longest time, though I suspected as I always felt better once my house was decluttered.
A few of the benefits of an organized home:
- Better sleep
- Less Stress
- More Productive
- Keeps You Healthier
Plus it just makes things run smoother for everyone, and that is always a plus.
Ready to organize the entire house? We LOVE this declutter course! It’s perfect for busy families!
More Organizing Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- Have toys everywhere? Here are some great toy storage ideas!
- Let us help you get your family organized for school!
- You’ll love this free printable household planner!
- LEGO storage was never more fun or easier
- Classroom organization that every teacher needs
- Fridge snack storage…need I say more?
- Best board game storage
- Check out these 25 simple, smart, and free ways to organize your home.
- These 20 Kitchen organization ideas for families are amazing.
- Check out these great medicine cabinet organizer ideas!
- We have purse organization tips here!
Which way to organize your pantry cabinet was the most helpful? What pantry organization idea are you going to use first?