These baking hacks make time in the kitchen so much easier. And you don’t have to be a great cook (or baker!) to use these simple techniques and genius tips to elevate your kitchen skills.
Baking Hacks to Save Time & Money
I love how simple these ideas are, yet they make a huge difference. There are so many times I forgot to soften the butter or bring the eggs to room temperature, but now I’ve got a hack for every situation!
This article contains affiliate links.
1. Box Cake Baking Hacks
Check out all these awesome hacks. We also have a huge resource on a lot of different ways to make a box cake better. This is the easiest way to make an amazing tasting cake.
2. Tip for Kitchen Tongs
Use a simple pair of tongs to make the most gorgeous pie crust designs. via House Beautiful. Make elaborate pie dough the easy way.
3. Get Eggs to Room Temp Fast Hack
Ever needed room temperature eggs, but they are all snug in the fridge in their carton? Get your eggs up to room temperature by submerging them in warm water for 3 minutes. Use warm water, you don’t want the water too hot. via The Krazy Coupon Lady
4. DIY Cake Saver in a Pinch – Spaghetti Holds Saran Wrap
This has totally happened to me. I have a pie or cake I want to cover, but I can’t find my cake saver container (of maybe I am using it for something else at the moment). Don’t want to cover your cake in plastic wrap and ruin the frosting but need it covered in a pinch?
- Grab uncooked spaghetti noodles and stick in your cake strategically around causing the ends to be above the cake.
- Wrap loosely with saran wrap.
- Yay! Your frosting is not messed up and your cake is covered.
Use spaghetti noodles to hold it up? Genius from via Real Simple (link no longer available).
5. Easy Homemade Fondant Solution Hack
Make a simple DIY fondant with marshmallows and Jell-O! I didn’t even know you could make homemade fondant. These baking tips are amazing, because this marshmallow fondant tastes better than regular fondont. via Instructables
6. Use a Hair Dryer in the Kitchen?
Want your ganache to look shiny smooth? Use a hair dryer. It’s a great way to temper the ganache after you melt the chocolate chips and mix in the cream. via This Week for Dinner
7. Quick Hack How to Ripen Bananas in Minutes
If you are craving banana bread but don’t have ripe bananas, just bake them in the oven first. Perfect when you need to make some banana quick breads.
8. Cake Pan Hack
Make sure your cake comes out of the pan in tact every single time with this pan release. You don’t even have to oil the pan with olive oil or a stick of butter, or vegetable oil. You also don’t have to leave all purpose flour in the pan.
9. DIY Cake Pop Holder
Where do you put your cake pops while they dry and harden? You don’t use parchment paper or a cookie sheet. You put them in a colander! via Iowa Girl Eats
10. How to Make a Flat Cake Hack
Do you want your cake to be flat with no mound in the middle? Here’s how. via Indulgy
11. Food Coloring Hack Guide
Get the perfect icing color with this food coloring guide. via The Cookie Countess
12. What Can I Substitute for this Ingredient?
Here’s a huge list of baking substitutes. Keep this list around in case you ever run out of something! via Huffington Post
13. Splatter-Free Mixing Hack
Don’t let the cake batter splatter all over you when you’re mixing – just use a paper plate! via Self
14. DIY Cake Decorating Tips & Tricks
Make really fun icing designs on a cake using just spoons and forks. Did you know you could use a ziploc bag to decorate your cake. via Todays Parent
15. Let’s Make a Rainbow Cake Hack
Here is a simple way to layer cupcake colors so you can make ombre or rainbow cupcakes. These are the best baking hacks to make professional looking cakes. via Just A Taste
16. Hack to Fill Muffin Tins Mess-Free
17. Ultimate Hack How to Retrieve an Egg Shell Piece
If you’ve got an egg shell stuck floating around in your bowl but can’t get it out, wet your finger first, it will come right out! This easy tip will keep crunchy eggshells out of your baked goods. via Self
More Hacks & Smart Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- We have a massive resource here at Kids Activities Blog of life hacks — because life is complicated enough!
- A good Netflix hack is completely necessary if you have cut the cord.
- Car hacks can make driving and maintaining much simpler!
- I hate to move, but these moving hacks make it almost fun.
- If you are a teacher or setting up a home learning spot for your kids check out these organization hacks with school & books in mind.
- If you have Barbies at home, you know why these Barbie hacks are so genius.
- Need dessert for one? No problem! We have plenty of simple mug desserts. <–this feels like the ultimate solo baking hack!
- Make cake pops simpler with these donut pops! Oh, and remember that tip above about using a colander to let the frosting settle? You can use that now!
- Cake is no longer just for dessert! Try out this breakfast cake!
- Who doesn’t love rainbow cupcakes?
- These cake crafts are both fun and delicious. It is part delicious food & part crafty project. No party will be the same…
- Just enjoyed an orange for a snack? Be sure to save the orange peel for baking cakes! Hey, that was a bonus baking hack! Look how generous we are feeling right now…hahaha!
What baking hack is your favorite? I am really partial to the “getting the egg shell out of the cracked egg” hack because I use it a LOT!