How to Make Rubber Band Bracelets without a Rainbow Loom – Easy!
Did you know you can easily make rubber band bracelets and other rubber band jewelry without a rainbow loom? All you need is two pencils and some rubber bands. Kids of all ages can make loom bracelets by making their own DIY rainbow loom!
What are the rubber band bracelets called?
There are a lot of different names for rubber band bracelets: silicone wristbands or bracelets, jelly bracelets, gel band bracelets, loom band bracelets, rainbow loom bracelets, loom bracelets, silly band bracelets, elastic bracelets and rubber wristbands.
Rubber Band Bracelets Craft Tutorial Created by Kids
My 7 year old daughter rightfully takes complete credit for this genius example of childhood resourcefulness! Together with a friend at her after school center, they came up with a way for everyone make rainbow loom bracelets and rings together when there weren’t enough looms to go around. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that!
Related: How to make rubber band bracelets with a rainbow loom
Now getting a 7 year old to ‘freeze’ so you can take step by step photos as she is looming is not the easiest task in the world, so please forgive the slight impatient blurs in places!
What Type of Rubber Bands Should I Use?
Your local craft store will have several different types and many colors of loom rubber bands wihout the loom. Look for “loom rubber bands refill kit” to find packages that don’t include a loom. Here are a few of our favorite rubber band varieties for making rainbow bracelets:
- Loom Rubber Bands Refill Kit – 12730 pieces including 26 bright band colors and 500 clips (12730+ Loom Rubber Bands Refill Kit in 26 Color with 500 Clips ,6 Hooks, Premium Bracelet Making Kit for Kids Weaving DIY Crafting Gift).
- Loom Rubber Bands Refill Kit – 13000 pieces including 31 rubber band colors (traditional colors, neon colors, translucent bands and glow in the dark bands), 500 clips, 24 charms and 22 beads(13000 Loom Rubber Bands Refill Kit in 31 Color, 500 Clips, 24 Charms, 22 Beads and 6 Crochets).
- Rainbow Loom Neon Jumbo Bucket – 8000 latex free rubber bands and 150 colored c-clips(Rainbow Loom Neon Jumbo Bucket with 2X Happy Loom (B0327)).
- Rubber Bands Refill Loom Set with 8 Glow in the Dark colors: 5000 loom bands, 200 colored S clips and 10 charms(5200+ Rubber Bands Refill Loom Set: 8 Colors Glow in The Dark 5000 Loom Bands,200 Colored S-Clips,10 Charms,2 Y-Looms,1 Upgrade Crochet Hook for Kids DIY Craft Weaving Kit).
How to Make Rubber Band Bracelets without a Loom
Follow the step by step guide below with pictures to create your own pencil loom and easily create rubber band bracelets.
You will find that making rainbow loom jewelry this way is very easy for younger kids to get their heads around, the loom can be confusing. This is the easy way to make rubber band bracelets by hand.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to make Loom Bracelets without a Loom
- two pencils or pens
- mini rubber bands
- plastic S or C clips–
How to Make Rubber Band Bracelets by Hand
You don’t need a fancy loom, you can make rubber band bracelets by hand with these simple steps using two pencils as the loom.
- Step 1
Start by sliding the first band over one of the pencils.
You will need a rubber band and one pencil for the first step.
- Step 2
Next, make one twist in the band and loop it over the second pencil. The band should look like figure 8
Grab your second pencil for the second step and make a figure eight.
- Step 3
Slip a second band onto the pencils. (Do not twist.)
In the third step you will grab and additional mini rubber band.
- Step 4
Slip the third band onto the pencils and pluck out the lower band on the right.
In the next step, you will use an additional band.
- Step 5
Pull the band up and over the pencil to snap into the center of the pencils.
Let’s start the band weaving process…
- Step 6
Pull to the right.
- Step 7
Repeat this step on the left.
- Step 8
Keep adding single bands and looping over pencils to see your bracelet or rubber band ring grow in length.
…and then the other side!
Repeat Until Desired Band Length
These are the core steps of making the rainbow loom strip, to be repeated band by band, looping over the top, until you have the desired length to make a bracelet, ring, necklace, etc.
How to Finish the Rubber Band Jewelry
1. Attach an S or C Clip to the Rubber Bands
When you are happy with the length of your rainbow loom strip, simply slip one side at a time off the pencils and finish with a C or S clip.
2. Join the Ends of the Bracelet or Ring Together
And join the ends together to make your ring, necklace or bracelet.
Can a 5 year old do the Rainbow Loom?
If your 5 year old is interested in making bracelets and has the ability to follow several steps, then rainbow looms can be appropriate for that age. You may need additional supervision especially at the beginning. If your 5 year old get frustrated easily, you may want to wait or put it away for a few months if it becomes a problem.
More Homemade Jewelry for Kids from Kids Activities Blog
- Make DIY slap bracelets at home with these simple jewelry making instructions.
- How about a cute jelly bean bracelet activity?
- Popsicle stick bracelets are part magic and part craft!
- Let’s make a bracelet out of straws.
- How to make the X and O bracelet pattern.
- Make a LEGO bracelet!
- Candy bracelets are fun to make!
- I love this traditional Kindergarten bracelets craft for kids.
- Make a bracelet out of fuzzy sticks.
- Print and decorate these matching best friend bracelets.
- And if you are looking for the best friendship bracelets, check out these string bracelet patterns!
Have you ever made band bracelets without a loom?
Beautuful ideas for make a bracelets and rings.
Thank you! So glad that you enjoyed them!