After school snacks are a fun way to re-connect kids with home…and you! It gives you a good excuse to sit down with them and chat through the school day.
Whether your kids are already back to school, or will be soon, these 5 Back to School Afternoon Snack Ideas are the perfect pick-me-up to beat the afternoon slump.
Afternoon Snack Ideas for Kids
Some of my best conversations with my kids were after school. It might start on the way home from carline or once we sit down around the kitchen table…ok, full disclosure, it is more of a kitchen island.
Some of these after school snacks are portable and can be eaten in the car, but optimally, getting kids to sit down and chat while resting after a long school day is the best place for connection.
This post contains affiliate links.
Cinnamon Sugar Bagel Snack Chips Recipe
This is a family favorite and can be make with all sorts of different bagels – both sweet and savory. It is also highly portable so if you are headed after school to sports or tutoring, this is a great snack for kids to take along.
- Slice the bagel into thin slices.
- Brush melted butter on top.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Once cooled completely, you can store your cinnamon sugar bagel chips in an airtight container. I like to make several snack bags available for easy grabbing!
Apple Quesadilla Snacks Recipe
This is one of our favorite snacks or even easy lunches. It is a simple cheese quesadilla with apple slices. Easy to make quickly and has a crunchy and sweet and savory flavor.
- In a skillet, melt butter and add flour tortilla.
- Add cheese to tortilla.
- Add apple slices to one side, and fold over the tortilla.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Slice into snack size triangles with a pizza wheel.
I even like these cold. So, if you have leftovers, then pop them into an airtight container and store in the fridge. Snacks are available whenever you want. You can try re-heating if the cold version isn’t your favorite.
Peanut Butter Pretzel Wands Snacks
One of the simplest snacks that feels fancy! Just take some of your favorite pretzels and add some peanut butter, apple butter or your favorite nut butter.
- Spread peanut or apple butter on tip of pretzel rod.
- Dip in chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles.
Sweet Snack Cracker Sandwiches
If your kids are fans of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, this is a really fun twist as a snack. You can make a little snack station where they can alter the ingredients the way they desire.
- Spread peanut or apple butter on one Saltine cracker.
- Top with slice or strawberry.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Add second Saltine cracker to top to make a sandwich.
Nutella Popsicles Snacks
- Put everything in a blender, and mix well.
- Pour into Zuko popsicle machine to make quick popsicles (ready in just a few minutes) OR prepare them in a reusable Popsicle mold the night before and leave them in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Serve immediately.
More Snacks for Kids from Kids Activities Blog
- We love these healthy snacks for kids!
- Need some sport themed snacks? Check out these super bowl snacks for kids…and beyond.
- Movie night snack ideas were never more fun!
- Brrrr….snowman snacks!
- Cookie Monster snacks
- Fun back to school snacks
- Healthy snacks for toddlers
- Need some not-so-scary monster snacks?
- And if you are on-the-go with your snacking, you might want to check out these fun kids picnic ideas.
- More afternoon snacks <–found here!
What is your favorite after school snack for kids? Which of these fun snacks are you going to try first?