This quick and easy pop tart recipe – with only four ingredients – is so simple that you and your kids can make them together!
If your kids are anything like mine, they will be so excited about these Homemade Pop Tarts!
With only fifteen minutes of preparation and ten minutes of baking, this recipe is quick! (Be prepared: The homemade pop tarts will probably disappear faster than the time it took to make them!)
Homemade Pop Tarts
There’s something about pop tarts that all kids just love! Their frosted crust with delicious fruit (or brown sugar or chocolate) filling is a scrumptious treat. Pop tarts are often thought of as a breakfast food, but they can be good any time of day.
We love fruit flavors like strawberry, blueberry, and apple, but you could also make chocolate, brown sugar, or even s’mores homemade pop tarts! Toaster pastries are the best.
Check out how easy they are to make! These are perfect for breakfast or for an after school snack.
Post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 1 small jar strawberry preserves
- 1 container of vanilla frosting
- Parchment paper
- (Optional) Crimping tool
Directions to Make Homemade Pop Tarts
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Unroll the pie crust and square the edges. Cut each crust into four or six rectangles and spread out on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place a teaspoon of jam in the center of the rectangle, spread out leaving space for a border and top with a second rectangle of pie crust.
Crimp the edges with a crimping tool or a fork to seal the two layers of pie crust together.
Bake the pop tarts for about 10 minutes or until they are slightly browned. After they have cooled, frost the top and add sprinkles!
If you want a darker golden brown you can use an egg wash from a beaten egg, just make sure they don’t burn.
Not a fan of strawberry filling? That’s fine not everyone likes strawberry poptarts. You can substitute most jams for it, like raspberry jam! Use any jam to recreate your favorite pop tart flavors. Make your own pop tarts to your taste.
If you don’t like fruit, but prefer a brown sugar cinnamon filling, add a bit of butter in the mixture or mix it into cream cheese. The filling will be hot!
Making delicious homemade pop tarts with a homemade flaky pie crust? Then make sure you use cold butter and some water from a cup of ice water to make the perfect dough.
You could also make these homemade poptarts in a toaster oven.
Finished Pop Tarts
Eat! Next time you may want to try different flavors by using different jams and jellies or you can make a cinnamon and sugar mixture for a cinnamon Pop Tart…oh, that would smell really good! Make any flavor delicious homemade pop tarts!
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust
- 1 small jar strawberry preserves (or your fruit choice)
- 1 container of vanilla frosting
- Sprinkles of your choosing
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Unroll the pie crust and square the edges.
- Cut each crust into four or six rectangles.
- Place one teaspoon of preserves in the center of the rectangle for half of the rectangles.
- Use the remaining half of the rectangles to place on top of the rectangles with jam on them.
- Crimp the edges of your paired tarts. You can use a fork to do this or a crimping tool.
- Bake the pop tarts for about 10 minutes or until they are slightly browned.
- After removing the pop tarts from the oven, allow them to cool.
- After cooling, frost the top of your tarts and add sprinkles!
More Pop Tart & Homemade Treat Fun from Kids Activities Blog
Love these homemade poptarts? Well these homemade strawberry pop tarts aren’t the only delicious recipes we have! Check out these other recipes!
- Homemade pop tarts are perfect for breakfast, as a snack, or even for lunch. They’re great to stick in a lunch box, along with these other Awesome School Lunch Ideas!
- When I have time, I enjoy making homemade snacks or lunch items. My son loves this homemade gogurt snack and homemade applesauce is also fun to make!
- Make homemade fruit leather like our fruit roll up recipe using applesauce or homemade fruit roll ups!
- Or make your own homemade apple chips!
Did your family love the homemade pop tart recipe? What flavor did you try first?