We have so many delightful ways to make your own toys and games using rubber bands. From rubber band balls, to games, to vehicles powered by rubber bands, kids of all ages will love this easy rubber band projects and crafts. Making things with elastics are the perfect activity for kids from preschool, elementary school and high school. There is something to learn from rubber band crafts at home or in the classroom.
Homemade Rubber Band Toys
DIY toys and rubber band games can be so much fun! We’ve found some truly incredible rubber band toys we love. Rubber bands are a loop of rubber material that stretches and returns to original shape. Other names for rubber bands are elastic bands, elastics, lacky band or gum band.
Related: Rubber band bracelets kids can make
Who knew all the fun that could be had with a simple rubber band!
1. How to Make a Rubber Band Ball
Start with the traditional rubber band ball. I’m always amazed by how high these bounce, and how many directions they will fly. via wikiHow
2. DIY Labyrinth Style Rubber Band Maze
Make your own labyrinth style rubber band maze. Try to get the ball through the maze before a timer runs out. via The Creative Homemaker
3. Mini Sailboat Made with Rubber Bands
This is such a fun mini sailboat to make. Perfect for bath time play, or even in a backyard mini pool for boat races. via Inner Child Fun
STEM Activities Fueled by Elastics
4. DIY Crash Test Car Powered by Rubber Bands
Use rubber bands to make a crash test car. See if your car can keep the egg from cracking. via Instructables
5. DIY Rubber Band Race Car
This homemade rubber band race car is made using things that you’ll find lying around the house. It’s the perfect activity for a rainy day. via Your Modern Dad
Rubber Band Games & Science Activities
6. Flying Paper Airplanes Game
Send your paper airplanes flying farther through space with these fun rubber band launchers. via Housing a Forest
7. Rubber Band Drag Race Game
Use leftover coffee cups to make these fun rubber band drag race cups! I’m envisioning hours of fun for all the kids with this one. via Steve Spangler Science
8. DIY Classic Yo-Yo with Rubber Bands
A new twist on the classic yo-yo, make this one at home using balloons and rubber bands. via Tinkerlab
9. Fun Wood and Band Toy Project
Blocks and bands make this fun wooden toy. It can bend and twist in so many different ways! via Petit & Small
10. Rubber Band Catapult Construction & Game
Send pom poms flying across the room when you construct a homemade catapult with elastics. We have several catapult designs that use things you already have around the house including rubber bands:
- Best catapult made with popsicle sticks
- Make a LEGO catapult with bricks & elastics
- Wooden spoon catapult design
- Simple catapult perfect for catapult games
- 15 More ways how to make a catapult
11. Homemade Elastic Flying Toy
A stick, a paper and a rubber band make this fun homemade flying toy. So easy and quick to make when the kids are bored. via Mini Eco
12. DIY Bubble Wand
Outdoor fun with rubber bands can be achieved with a spare sock, a paper cup and soapy water. I’ve never seen bubbles look like this! via Housing a Forest
13. DIY Drawing Machine Powered by Elastic Bands
Use rubber bands for art with this fun little tutorial. Make your own drawing machine for the kids to make cool patterns and express themselves artistically. via dezeen
14. Group Rubber Band Activity Idea
The power of teamwork can be taught with this simple rubber band activity. Great for group lessons with kids. via Science Gal
DIY Rubber Band Vehicles
15. Rubber Band Car Project
We love this rubber band car made using scratched CDs and an old paper towel roll. via Crafts by Amanda
16. DIY LEGO and Rubber Band Car
Pull out the LEGOs to construct this fun car that is powered by a rubber band. Majorly impressive. via Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls
17. Paper Airplane Launcher Powered by Elastic Bands
A new way of making paper airplanes, these are adorable, tiny and can catch some major air when launched across the room with a rubber band! via A Little Learning for Two
18. DIY Rocket Launcher
Homemade rocket launcher made with cardboard tubes, fun paper and of course, our new favorite craft companion, rubber bands! via Pink Stripey Socks
19. Homemade Airplane Kit
Assemble your own paper airplane with this fun model plane kit, it’s powered by rubber bands.
20. Make a Target Practice Game
Fun target practice with these airplane shooters. Make them from home and create your own scoring systems as the kids improve their targeting skills. via All for the Boys
21. DIY Propeller Airplane Craft
These DIY propeller airplane is pretty spectacular. It will take off, fly and land beautifully and it’s a great science lesson for the kids. via Rubber Power
22. DIY Elastic Band Car Launcher
Launch your matchbox cars into the race with this really neat homemade rubber band car shoot. via Instructables
Musical Toys Made with Rubber Bands
23. Simple Rubber Band Drum Set
Create this simple drum set to start your kids off with homemade rubber band instruments. via Oh Crafts
24. DIY Cardboard Guitar Craft
Your music group will not be complete with out a lead singer and guitarist. Create this fun cardboard guitar with rubber bands for strumming. via Make It & Love It
25. Rubber Band Mandolins Craft
Rubber band mandolins pair nicely with these cute bell shakers, they will round off your new little band quite nicely. via Hello Bee
26. Make a Homemade Harmonica with Rubber Bands
This fun little homemade harmonica will round off your rubber band music day with a special sound. via Mess for Less
Rubber Band Art & Craft Ideas
27. Homemade Art Book Secured with Elastic Bands
Bind your homemade art book together with rubber bands. The inside can hold your favorite paintings or drawings. via Tinker Lab
28. Rubber Band Art Project
Wrap rubber bands around blocks, and then dip them in paint to get this fun striped affect on your paper. via Whip Up
29. DIY Stained Glass Craft Using Elastics
Create the stained glass affect on paper using a clipboard, paint and rubber bands! via Pure and Noble
30. Homemade Bookmarks Craft
Your kids can make their own bookmarks using fun ribbons, and cute rubber band hair ties. via My Busy Beehives
31. Textured Art Project
Cut up rubber bands and glue them in different designs to make a fun and textured piece of art. via Kristen’s Blog Life
32. Tie Dye with Rubber Bands
Gentle tie dye can be achieved with this fun tutorial for tissue paper and rubber band art. via Kitchen Table Classroom
33. Stamps Made with Elastics
These fun stamps are perfect for a toddler’s hands. They make such a fun affect on the paper when the little one is done with his art project. via Playtivities
34. Rubber Band Sponge Painting
Sponge painting takes on a new life when it’s paired with rubber band crafts. We love the affect this leaves on the paper. via Babble Dabble Do
35. Homemade Elastics Paintbrushes
Homemade paintbrushes can be formed by cutting rubber bands in pieces and making your own desired size and length of brush. via Mess for Less
Fine Motor Activities With Rubber Band Games
36. Easy Rubber Band Game
This is a fun rubber band game for the kids to play while you cook dinner. Have a race and see who can get the most bands on a can before dinner is served. via Hands On As We Grow
37. How To Hold A Pencil is Easy with Rubber Bands
Help your child learn the proper way to hold a pencil by securing it in place with a rubber band bracelet. via Your Kids Ot
38. Rubber Band Passing Game
This rubber band passing activity is great for younger kids. It teaches control, grasp, and it’s a fun mildly competitive game that will keep them interested and having fun together. via Hands On As We Grow
39. Rubber Band STEM Games & Science Experiments
A fun experiment using rubber bands, have the kids guess how many bands are wrapped around the cork and then work on unwinding them all to see if their hypothesis was correct. via No Time for Flash Cards
40. DIY Rubber Band Geoboard Project
How to make geoboard has never been easier with this simple tutorial that walks you through the steps to creating your own rubber band geoboard for hours of shape making, STEM challenging fun!
Rubber Band Jewelry Crafts
41. Rubber Band Bracelets & Charms You Can Make
- Let’s make rainbow loom bracelets together today
- How to make loom bands
- Make loom band animals, rubber band animals and more elastics charms
- Make rubber band rings
These rubber band projects can keep your kids busy for weeks!
This article contains affiliate links.
Rubber Band Games for Kids You Can Buy
- Wooden geoboard with rubber bands to create STEM shapes
- Shooting competition game with rubber band guns, targets and practice wheel
- Punching balloons with rubber bands
- LED Light Arrow Flying Toy powered by elastics
- Traditional rubber band gun wooden toy for indoor target practice games
- Legacy Wooden sling shot toy
More Homemade Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- This is how I used these weird silly bandz as rewards for my children. This silly fad became my own rubber gold.
- Where can you buy silly bandz?
- We’ll teach you how to make a spinner! It is a perfect diy toy for those who can’t sit still.
- Get colorful with these fun tie dye crafts.
- Don’t throw out your boxes! We have 50 fun and awesome cardboard box crafts that your kids will love!
- Get fancy with these beautiful diy necklaces!
- Learn about physical science by learning how to make a robot.
- You can make your own outside toys! We can teach you how to make a frisbee.
- Learn how to make lightning in a bottle.
- Do you remember how to make a paper fan? They’re a fun and perfect way for kids to cool off when it is hot!
- You can make a diy bubble wand that makes multiple bubbles at once! It’s so cool.
- These diy toddler puzzle toys are the coolest since you make the puzzles out of their own self portrait!
- Need more kids activities? Check out our printable papercrafts!
Which rubber band craft will you try first? Let us know in the comments!